Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Howdy! I've got the Sapphire RX 580 too, and am having this same issue. With the iGPU enabled in my BIOS, it shows the following in VideoProc (see attachment). With iGPU set to auto in BIOS, VideoProc shows as N/A with no acceleration.

What I have done:

- followed the fresh Catalina install guide here for a 10.15.4 install
- placed the dummy141.kext in my EFI 'other' folder
- made sure my config was matching up in Clover Configurator with the one Ploddles posted

Excuse my possible ignorance here. It's been a hot minute since I built my last Hackintosh (2011, I think!) and I've been trying to Googlefu around, but I'm coming up with a blank. Am I missing some supremely obvious step here? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using iMac19.1 SMBIOS? If that is the case, your system will default to using iGPU for Intel Quicksync. If you disable your iGPU in your bios, you will have no QuickSync. If you want your dGPU to show up as the hardware acceleration in your VideoProc, you will have to choose iMacPro1,1. It's how real Macs work, and we are after all trying to emulate what real Mac does.

thanks, any other way to make sure system detect my rx580 properly
Thanks, that really help, it is working fine now,
Regards
Howdy! I've got the Sapphire RX 580 too, and am having this same issue. With the iGPU enabled in my BIOS, it shows the following in VideoProc (see attachment). With iGPU set to auto in BIOS, VideoProc shows as N/A with no acceleration.

What I have done:

- followed the fresh Catalina install guide here for a 10.15.4 install
- placed the dummy141.kext in my EFI 'other' folder
- made sure my config was matching up in Clover Configurator with the one Ploddles posted

Excuse my possible ignorance here. It's been a hot minute since I built my last Hackintosh (2011, I think!) and I've been trying to Googlefu around, but I'm coming up with a blank. Am I missing some supremely obvious step here? Any help would be appreciated.
Are you using iMac19.1 SMBIOS? If that is the case, your system will default to using iGPU for Intel Quicksync. If you disable your iGPU in your bios, you will have no QuickSync. If you want your dGPU to show up as the hardware acceleration in your VideoProc, you will have to choose iMacPro1,1. It's how real Macs work, and we are after all trying to emulate what real Mac does.
Hi All,

I think we've created a bit of a monster with VideoProc. Please note:
  • We use the 30-day trial version of VideoProc only to confirm whether iGPU is setup properly. It's a quick way to check if hardware support for HEVC and H.264 is enabled.
    • But there's another way to check this. We can run IORegistryExplorer, scroll down to iGPU@2, and check if the first sub-node is AppleIntelFramebufferController. If so, then iGPU is set up correctly.
  • If you have a paid/licensed copy of VideoProc and intend to use it for video transcoding, then it matters whether an AMD GPU is detected.
  • But if we don't intend to use VideoProc for transcoding, then there are other ways to check if AMD GPU is setup correctly:
    • About this Mac --> Graphics
    • System Information --> Graphics/Displays
    • IORegistryExplorer --> GFX0@0 --> AMD9500Controller
  • If AMD GPU does not appear in VideoProc, then it only affects VideoProc. It does not mean that the rest of the system will fail to use it.

Last edited:
I was thinking of flashing with the original Asus firmware, not a modified one, but anyway I only have windows in case something goes wrong with OSX(never happened) so I don't mind the card not working when cold booted.

I'm attaching TB bus and IOReg with and without SSDT. I find it very strange that TB Bus was there without the SSDT(I had removed the card, turned off and unplugged mains for a few minutes prior to booting), never happened in the past.

You were, of course, right about the ACPI errors, plenty of them:)
Are you saying that...
  • After removing or disabling the Thunderbolt SSDT,
  • And physically removing the Thunderbolt add-in-card,
  • And pulling the plug for a few seconds,
... the Thunderbolt Bus still appears under RP08?

What parallel universe are you from? :)

Are you saying that...
  • After removing or disabling the Thunderbolt SSDT,
  • And physically removing the Thunderbolt add-in-card,
  • And pulling the plug for a few seconds,
... the Thunderbolt Bus still appears under RP08?

What parallel universe are you from? :)

Hehe, that would be quite something indeed:)

I had removed the card a few hours prior as it doesn't need to be there if it doesn't work. I shut down, put it back in, booted without the SSDT out of curiosity, and yes, bus was there...

Hehe, that would be quite something indeed:)

I had removed the card a few hours prior as it doesn't need to be there if it doesn't work. I shut down, put it back in, booted without the SSDT out of curiosity, and yes, bus was there...
Okay, that makes sense. When the card is flashed, the SSDT is not necessary to enable Thunderbolt Bus. The SSDT then becomes necessary only to enable Hot Plug by injecting "PciHotplugCapable" device property into UPSB.DSB0.

*** Are you experiencing USB port stability problems? ***

There have been an uncomfortable number of complaints about USB port instability. If you're experiencing this problem, please answer the questions below in the hopes that some common thread or clue might emerge.

• Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
    • -> Currently Mojave, however I have tried it under Catalina too - USB issues occur on both
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
    • -> Currently Clover, however I have tried OpenCore too - USB issues occur on both
  • Are you using the USB SSDT from this thread (SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml)?
    • ->Yes
  • Are you using USBPorts.kext instead?
    • -> No, but I have tried it. USB issue occurred while trying it so I reverted.
  • What is the make/model of your power supply?
    • -> Seasonic PRIME TX-1000, 1000W 80+
  • What USB devices are connected when instability occurs?
    • ->Apple wired keyboard, ASUS Gladius II mouse, Abeleton Push II (although it's not always turned on when the issue occurs), and BlueTooth card is connected to internal USB Header (although, Bluetooth and Wifi are generally turned off - problem occurs if they are enabled or not)
    • Which of these devices has its own power supply?
      • -> Only the Ableton Push II.
  • What Thunderbolt devices are connected when USB instability occurs?
    • -> Focusrite Clarette 8Pre thunderbolt audio interface
  • When USB instability occurs, what exactly happens on screen? What do you experience?
    • -> 99% of the time, everything on the system continues to work, but the entire USB system just drops out. This includes USB2 and USB3. Graphics keep working (both displays are fine and keep refreshing). Sound keeps working. iMessage keeps working. Keyboard and mouse become dead (ie: no lights on keyboard or mouse, cursor won't move). Plugging anything into the USB system does absolutely nothing (usb drives won't read, removing mouse and keyboard and plugging them back in to the same (or other) ports does nothing). 1% of the time, the entire system hard-locks, but this is very rare, only have seen this happen 2 times maybe.
  • Does the instability go away on its own? Does it require a reboot?
    • -> No. In order to get USB back, I have to completely reboot the entire computer. Once or twice, the problem has been so bad, I've had to literally shut the entire system down with a hard shut-off before the USB system functionality would return.
  • How often does it occur? Every time you use the computer? Every N hours? Every N minutes?
    • -> There's no definitive pattern for me unfortunately. Sometimes I can go for days without the issue while using the system nearly all day. Other times, I can see the issue happen 2/3 times within a couple of hours in the same day. I will say that I notice this issue more often than not while running Ableton Live and working on audio production. I've noticed the people who seem to encounter this issue the most are those who use their systems for some kind of professional audio/visual work. However, it should be said I do little else with this system aside from using it for this purpose, so it stands to reason I'd see the problem more often while in that piece of software too. Still, something to note.

Additional System Details:
  • Devices vs various pots on the back of the system:
    • -> Currently, I have my keyboard on the bottom left black port, mouse on bottom yellow, and Ableton Push on bottom blue port.
      • I have just moved the Ableton Push to the right red port to see if this helps things
  • Dual Booting
    • -> Issue does *not* occur under Windows. USB is entirely stable while using it.
  • NVMe/SSD Drives:
    • -> OSX Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB (latest firmware) - Installed in lower port
    • -> Windows Drive: Western Digitial Blue NAND 2TB drive (m.2 SATA III) - Installed in top port (under video card) - Unsure of firmware on drive. I have *not* attempted to update it.

Additional Notes:
  • Clover/EFI related
    • In an attempt to resolve this issue, I've scoured the internet for other solutions/setups similar to this. Over at InsanelyMac, I discovered another (but vastly different) Clover setup, DSDT, and Kext folder that I'm now trying. I don't know if it will help the issue, but I'm out of options, and I need a stable/reliable system I can depend on.
      • Key Changes in this over what I was using from this build include:
        • This build has a MUCH more minamalistic Clover config
        • There is just a DSDT, and a TV3HP (and now and NVRAM) aml file. Nothing else
        • There is no USBInjectAll used (this may be an oversight or problem however??? their current OpenCore over there uses USBInjectAll, however, my USB system seems to be working without it for now)
        • There is another kext (USBZ390DESIGNARE.kext) in it.
      • As of right now, I haven't had any USB issues while using this setup, although..it has only been a day or two so.... it's way too early to tell at this point. It could very well just be coincidence that it hasn't happened.

I am indeed using 19,1. So there's my problem! :lol:

Next question: Does it matter what my dGPU shows as in terms of actual performance? I was trying to get the acceleration to show/work just because I was trying to get my system up and puttering along as close to a real Mac as possible. Realistically, I'm going to be doing mostly audio and web dev related work, and I probably won't be doing a lot of video encoding right now. Maybe in the future. However based on what I was reading a few pages back, per Casey, it seems like fixing what the dGPU shows as in VideoProc is just cosmetic anyway. Correct?

@jleahy2

Thank you for the comprehensive write-up. Please let us know if the new EFI helps. Someone mentioned that USB instability has also been reported on real Macs. Have you encountered any references to that?

I am indeed using 19,1. So there's my problem! :lol:
That was my suspicion until I saw these posts by @Ploddles:
It detects my RX580 without problems.

View attachment 476135
The config.plist he posted is using iMac19,1. His Device Properties are setting:
  • iGPU name to UHD 630
  • AMD GPU name to AMD Radeon RX 580
This is essentially the advice I gave to @tsamy (i.e. to rename RX 580 from Radeon RX 580 to AMD Radeon RX 580), but apparently that didn't work...

@jleahy2

Thank you for the comprehensive write-up. Please let us know if the new EFI helps. Someone mentioned that USB instability has also been reported on real Macs. Have you encountered any references to that?

Will do. I don't have much hope for it, but if it does, I'll definitely report back to try to understand exactly what has helped it. The two configs are drastically different.

I have read there are supposedly reports on real macs, but I have't seen them myself. I haven't used a legitimate/real Mac for this kind of use for many years. I have 2 MBP's, but I don't use any sort of USB hardware with them, so it's hard to say. The last legitimate Mac I used as a pro workstation was a 2013 model MacPro (black cylinder model). It was back on High Sierra, and I never had any issues with it like this. External USB hardware remained the same (same keyboard, same mouse, same Ableton Push II). Only difference on that system was I was using an Apollo Twin thunderbolt audio interface back then instead of the Focusrite I am today. I was wondering if it was thunderbolt related (and was ready to try flashing thunderbolt to see if it would work (I currently have not flashed mine)), however I've noticed there are at least 2 others in here experiencing these issues who say they are not using thunderbolt at all, so....it seems unrelated.

For what it's worth - I will say that this is my third recent Hackintosh build, and every single one of them has had random USB issues:
  • My first was an Asrock motherboard (don't remember model, sorry) running High Sierra, and a USB3 audio interface. It never had USB drop completely out, however... it suffered from audio buffer overruns, clicks pops, and tons of USB errors in Console constantly.
  • My second was a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7. This DID have usb drop out issues. This was my old build before this one, and I only updated to gain better hotplug thunderbolt support
  • My current is the Gigabyte board on this build, which has also been plagued with USB drop out issues.

I really wanted to go back to High Sierra to see if the problems stopped since over all, I've had the best luck with a stable system in that version of the OS (and it also didn't exhibit weird iMessage issues I always get on Mojave/Catalina), however... I can't do that with my Radeon VII. I spent days trying to spoof and hack the drivers to get some level of basic support on it and it was obviously a complete failure so I gave up. I'm not willing to go without utilizing that video card unfortunately, so it's an option I can't test.

Back