Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

AWESOME! thank you so much!! another question.. so right clicked on my Mojave drive and chose info. and my purgeable amount keeps growing. its at 1.59 tb right now, and its not getting smaller. I take it, its using my OS drive to write memory on it. any idea how do I fix that?
Please see this well-written article. As described in the article, take a look at the following:
  • About this Mac --> Storage --> Manage
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.37.02 PM.png

Purgeable files are those which macOS thinks can be deleted safely because (a) there's a copy in iCloud, (b) file has not been accessed in a very long time, (c) movies and TV shows have already been watched, etc. You can disable or adjust all of these from the Manage dialog below:
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.37.05 PM.png

Yes. Also, I pulled out the F_USB header to the wireless/BT card and had the same issue.
I initially studied your USB port info for this board (thanks for the detail) and connected accordingly. USB 2 devices into HS9 and 10 and USB3 devices or anything that might be finicky into separate ports. At one point in troubleshooting I also ran without any drives or devices except my mouse, keyboard, ilok2 and pace USB and not using the USB 2 ports and hed the same issue. Because my previous hackintosh and mac pro (5,1 with a USB3 card) were sensitive about USB devices' power draw, all my external hubs are powered. And, like many audio pros, I have a lot of devices hooked up- pretty much the same configuration for the last decade and couple of machines.
Understood.
My next big troubleshooting step (which I'm dreading) will be to pull my m2 drives- a samsung 970 on M2M which is the win10 boot and a intel p600 on M2P (latest firmware on both). I read the warnings about both of these in the build guide which seemed inapplicable to my setup as Im not booting from the intel. it might be a while as I'm busy getting my DAW (Digital Performer) and work going on windows. Also, I'm not sure if you caught it but I asked if Bigboosh (who was having a similar prob) was dual booting and Bigboosh said no. I asked because initially the problem seemed worse (to happen sooner) on my back after a windows session.
You might have a good point here. This past Tuesday (June 9), @ssccrab reported USB stability problems when using the MicroCenter Inland Premium M.2 drive. A cautionary note was added to Post #1:

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 4.26.03 PM.png

Although we only have reports of problems with Intel 660p, it may be a good idea to temporarily disconnect the Intel 600p.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.48.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Please see this well-written article. As described in the article, take a look at the following:
Ive seen this article. downloaded their app, and after purging it still holds 1.39 gb.
I suppose some of it is n
  • About this Mac --> Storage --> Manage
View attachment 476157
Purgeable files are those which macOS thinks can be deleted safely because (a) there's a copy in iCloud, (b) file has not been accessed in a very long time, (c) movies and TV shows have already been watched, etc. You can disable or adjust all of these from the Manage dialog below:
View attachment 476158
Thank you! Ill get their app. you think its better then Cocktail?

Understood.

You might have a good point here. This past Tuesday (June 9), @ssccrab reported USB stability problems when using the MicroCenter Inland Premium M.2 drive. A cautionary note was added to Post #1:

View attachment 476159

Although we only have reports of problems with Intel 660p, it may be a good idea to temporarily disconnect the Intel 600p.

View attachment 476160
Thanks. My intel drive is actually a 660p. Will report back eventually.

Ive seen this article. downloaded their app, and after purging it still holds 1.39 gb.
I suppose some of it is n

Thank you! Ill get their app. you think its better then Cocktail?
No, the App is not necessary. Just check your Manage settings under About this Mac --> Storage.

No, the App is not necessary. Just check your Manage settings under About this Mac --> Storage.
so get this. my system drive was on idle for 2 hours. I'm copying a massive library to a second NVME drive, in an hour I've been gone my OS drive went from 1.39 gb purgeable to 1.42 gb. that's 200 mb of space added not using the drive at all. nothing was happening with it at all. Ideas?

so get this. my system drive was on idle for 2 hours. I'm copying a massive library to a second NVME drive, in an hour I've been gone my OS drive went from 1.39 gb purgeable to 1.42 gb. that's 200 mb of space added not using the drive at all. nothing was happening with it at all. Ideas?
Purgeable data is not a bug or a problem. It is a feature of macOS. What are your “Manage” settings on each NVMe SSD?

Thanks, that really help, it is working fine now,
Regards

Howdy! I've got the Sapphire RX 580 too, and am having this same issue. With the iGPU enabled in my BIOS, it shows the following in VideoProc (see attachment). With iGPU set to auto in BIOS, VideoProc shows as N/A with no acceleration.

What I have done:

- followed the fresh Catalina install guide here for a 10.15.4 install
- placed the dummy141.kext in my EFI 'other' folder
- made sure my config was matching up in Clover Configurator with the one Ploddles posted

Excuse my possible ignorance here. It's been a hot minute since I built my last Hackintosh (2011, I think!) and I've been trying to Googlefu around, but I'm coming up with a blank. Am I missing some supremely obvious step here? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• videoproc.png
    videoproc.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 83
If Thunderbolt bus is appearing in IOReg, then the card is not bricked. But when we flash the firmware, the card does not work in Windows unless we first boot into macOS then warm boot into Windows.

To get the story straight, let's do this: :)
  • Post screenshot of the CLOVER/ACPI/patched (or OpenCore ACPI) folder
  • Post screenshot of IORegistryExplorer with the device tree scrolled down so that Thunderbolt section is visible
  • Post screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt

I was thinking of flashing with the original Asus firmware, not a modified one, but anyway I only have windows in case something goes wrong with OSX(never happened) so I don't mind the card not working when cold booted.

I'm attaching TB bus and IOReg with and without SSDT. I find it very strange that TB Bus was there without the SSDT(I had removed the card, turned off and unplugged mains for a few minutes prior to booting), never happened in the past.

You were, of course, right about the ACPI errors, plenty of them:)

Attachments

• ACPI.png
    ACPI.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IOReg With SSDT.png
    IOReg With SSDT.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IOReg Without SSDT.png
    IOReg Without SSDT.png