Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What USB devices are connected when instability occurs?
Happens regardless of devices

Which of these devices has its own power supply?
I generally use a high powered USB3 hub (Hoo Too) for drives and powered hubs for everything else
Does the problem occur if you only have a USB mouse and keyboard connected (and internal Bluetooth connected to F_USB)?

A complete list of the attached USB devices can be critical in trying to determine whether the problem is related to:
  • A specific device (especially one that consumes too much USB bus power)
  • A combination of certain devices
  • The ports into which USB devices are connected
    • For example, the Blue and Yellow USB ports on the back are tied to one internal USB hub, so they share bandwidth and power of the single hub
    • This means all USB data from these 4 ports gets tunneled through one USB channel. All 4 ports cannot operate at maximum USB throughput because of this
    • The red USB ports are independent and can both operate at full bandwidth
A general note about USB hubs -- all USB devices connected through a hub are bottlenecked because they share one USB lane to the motherboard.

This is why we ask what devices are connected. Depending on the answer, we then ask for a description of how the devices are connected and into which ports.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 1.46.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Not for me. Only issue rolling back to 0.7.1 resolved, was allowing bluetooth functionality to be restored. USB dropping out remains unchanged.
I think the Bluetooth being restored is the USB 2.0 coming back. With 0.7.5 I had no USB 2.0 ports working. I’m on Mojave. 0.7.5 worked with Catalina for me.

• What USB devices are connected when instability occurs?
    • MOTU Microlite (MIDI Interface), Antelope Audio Orion 32+ Gen 3 (audio interface), Axe FX II XL (audio/MIDI interface), Apple wired keyboard, QuNeo drum pads, P4 MIDI keyboard/controller, Qcon Pro X and XS (issue occurs often when these are both plugged in and on - the X has a 4-port hub on the back, issue is possibly more frequent when both are plugged into the same USB bus-i.e. both yellow, red or blue ports together, or when the XS is plugged in via the hub on the back of the X)
If the two Qcon devices (X and XS) are disconnected, does the frequency of the problem decrease from once-a-week to less often?

The list of devices is:
  • MOTU Mircolite
  • Antelope Orion 32+
  • Axe FX II XL
  • Apple Wired Keyboard
  • QuNeo Drum Pads
  • P4 MIDI Keyboard
  • Qcon Pro X
  • Qcon Pro XS
It sounds like most of these are self-powered and relatively low bandwidth. For example, transferring large files is a high bandwidth operation, but most audio traffic should be relatively low bandwidth unless very high bit rates are being used. It also sounds as if all of these devices would not typically be used at the same time...

But if these devices have their own device drivers (kexts), the problem might be related to those drivers.

Edit: Which NVMe SSDs (M.2) are you using?

Last edited:
I think the Bluetooth being restored is the USB 2.0 coming back. With 0.7.5 I had no USB 2.0 ports working. I’m on Mojave. 0.7.5 worked with Catalina for me.
USBInjectAll 0.7.5 correctly compiled for Mojave. Been using it for months and absolutely no USB issues for me on an Asus Z370 board.

Attachments

• USBInjectAll.kext.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 75
Didn't realize unlocking CFG and unlocking MSR are same, I did that for whatever reason it shows up as 0x00. see attached pic. does that mean its unlocked?
Yes, it's unlocked now. If the return value is 0x0, it's unlocked.

Yes, it's unlocked now. If the return value is 0x0, it's unlocked.
AWESOME! thank you so much!! another question.. so right clicked on my Mojave drive and chose info. and my purgeable amount keeps growing. its at 1.59 tb right now, and its not getting smaller. I take it, its using my OS drive to write memory on it. any idea how do I fix that?

Does the problem occur if you only have a USB mouse and keyboard connected (and internal Bluetooth connected to F_USB)?

Yes. Also, I pulled out the F_USB header to the wireless/BT card and had the same issue.
I initially studied your USB port info for this board (thanks for the detail) and connected accordingly. USB 2 devices into HS9 and 10 and USB3 devices or anything that might be finicky into separate ports. At one point in troubleshooting I also ran without any drives or devices except my mouse, keyboard, ilok2 and pace USB and not using the USB 2 ports and hed the same issue. Because my previous hackintosh and mac pro (5,1 with a USB3 card) were sensitive about USB devices' power draw, all my external hubs are powered. And, like many audio pros, I have a lot of devices hooked up- pretty much the same configuration for the last decade and couple of machines.

My next big troubleshooting step (which I'm dreading) will be to pull my m2 drives- a samsung 970 on M2M which is the win10 boot and a intel p600 on M2P (latest firmware on both). I read the warnings about both of these in the build guide which seemed inapplicable to my setup as Im not booting from the intel. it might be a while as I'm busy getting my DAW (Digital Performer) and work going on windows. Also, I'm not sure if you caught it but I asked if Bigboosh (who was having a similar prob) was dual booting and Bigboosh said no. I asked because initially the problem seemed worse (to happen sooner) on my back after a windows session.

Back