Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This somewhat sounds like a CMOS issue. Please try either or both of these two options:
  • Shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds to let all capacitors discharge completely. Then flip it on and boot up the system. Do you see see these intermittent issues?
  • Alternatively, try CMOS Reset by following the procedure in the Designare manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults and it may also re-lock MSR 0xE2. So we will need to configure BIOS again (starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults) and the check and unlock MSR 0xE2.
Unfortunately I've tried the first road multiple times to no avail.
I even removed the Broadcom PCIe adapter and spent a couple days without Bluetooth and WiFi which seemed to make it more likely to come up every few restarts, but still unpredictably.

I'll try the second path today.
In my mind there should be a way to force that particular device in that PCIe slot to be recognised by the system by means of SSDT/DSDT (what a couple of confusing acronyms these are...)

thank you for chiming in, @CaseySJ

Couldn’t have done it with out ya! Thank you! Everything works. But I can't get the it to stay asleep. It wakes up after 2 seconds

Attachments

• 79D946C2-5074-4C93-A479-8D156E78979A.jpeg
    79D946C2-5074-4C93-A479-8D156E78979A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
Yup - and more and more people keep popping in with this same USB dropout issue (myself included). Unfortunately .... no one seems to have any clue. :/

It happens to me once or twice a week

@CaseSJ - Just want to say thank you for this incredibly detailed guide, without which my custom hardline watercooling loop build would not have been possible. Even though I did not use your EFI package as-is, I had learnt so much from reading this 2,254 pages long thread.

IMG_3142.jpg

Unobvious problems to watch out for...
  • To unlock writing to MSR 0xE2 register for native NVRAM support, initially I went for the latest beta firmware version F9H (as of this writing, the latest official BIOS version is F9B which is locked.) However, while it could boot into the O/S perfectly fine, I could not ESC into the BIOS setup screen -- got a blank screen from both the dGPU and iGPU DisplayPort output. I ended up downgrading into F9G, which is also still in beta as of this writing, and everything worked fine.
  • After a period of flawless burn-in, it suddenly began to fail at POST after switching power off and back on. The BIOS error status LED's on the motherboard was stuck at the red "DRAM" LED in an infinite reboot cycle. BIOS reset pins, holding power button down trick to get into backup BIOS etc. did absolutely nothing. Taking out some/all RAM modules also didn't seem to work. I switched off the power, removed the onboard battery, and let it sit overnight -- same error next morning.
  • After many frustrating hours of trial-and-error, I noticed an important detail which I had missed until now: version numbers printed on the sticker on the RAM modules are different! I bought 2 separate packs of 2 x 16G each, and apparently there is no way to figure out without first opening the packaging -- I got both version 4.31 and 5.32, and only 5.32 is officially supported according to Gigabyte's Memory Support List. Thanks God, I was able to get pass POST once again with 2 sticks of 5.32! Moral of the story: read the fineprints...

Last edited:
Couldn’t have done it with out ya! Thank you! Everything works. But I can't get the it to stay asleep. It wakes up after 2 seconds.
Is the Corsair all-in-one liquid cooler connected to the internal USB 2 header (F_USB)? If so, try disconnecting it (temporarily) to see if the system can stay asleep.

@CaseSJ - Just want to say thank you for this incredibly detailed guide, without which my custom hardline watercooling loop build would not have been possible. Even though I did not use your EFI package as-is, I had learnt so much from reading this 2,254 pages long thread.

View attachment 475782
Just awesome! Love that distro-block/pump/res thing with two sets of radiator loops. (What is the make/model of that?) Finally someone posts a photo of their custom hardline build... :) I haven't personally graduated to that level as I mentioned once before in this thread, namely:
  • Freshman: air cooler
  • Sophomore: all-in-one liquid cooler
  • Junior: custom soft tubing
  • Senior: custom hardline tubing
I've been stuck at the sophomore level... :)

Even though I did not use your EFI package as-is, I had learnt so much from reading this 2,254 pages long thread.
I can not link for EFI folder to this guide. Please tell me where you can find it.

I can not link for EFI folder to this guide. Please tell me where you can find it.
There is no Clover EFI for this build, only OpenCore EFI in the OpenCore Mini Guide.

@CaseSJ
Big thanks! I specifically bought z390 Designare and i5 9600k for use this build! :)

Back