Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Last edited:
First of all, good job for having a 10.15.3 backup!! Really important to keep a functional backup until we're certain that the updated system is stable.

Second, if the only differences between 10.15.3 and 10.15.5 are the kexts and macOS itself, then I would tend to blame the kexts... Let's make sure 10.15.3 is still stable.

First of all, good job for having a 10.15.3 backup!! Really important to keep a functional backup until we're certain that the updated system is stable.

Appreciate it, after all, after my first initial headache when I first had a complete stable install and witnessed as my enter drive got wiped and the headache that ensued to get my system back up and running I, unfortunately, had to learn the "hard" way to never let it happen again.

So far while using 10.15.3 as the daily driver I have not witnessed any freezes or color wheels during normal use and no force restarts or system crashes and it has been up and running for several days now, working as fine as it was prior to my update to 10.15.5.

Which would lead me to believe that it has to be something with OS or kexts, that truly is the only difference between the 2 drives?

To help narrow it down @CaseySJ do you think I could try to use the "main" drive EFI for boot, and open my backup drive with the boot being issued from the main drive EFI, I would assume by doing that, the EFI the system would be using is the updated kexts drive and I would start to experience the same issues even while using the stable 10.15.3

Just a thought that crossed my mind to see if I can distinguish if its OS or kext related.

To help narrow it down @CaseySJ do you think I could try to use the "main" drive EFI for boot, and open my backup drive with the boot being issued from the main drive EFI, I would assume by doing that, the EFI the system would be using is the updated kexts drive and I would start to experience the same issues even while using the stable 10.15.3
Sure, this makes sense to try.

I've been having a recurring issue.. happens once every day or two, where ALL of my USB ports just go offline.
Unplugging and replugging usb cables doesn't help. all I can do is reboot.

Anyone else seen this?
Unfortunately yes. I started this thread. Also, Which version OSX are you running?

Loads of people are reporting similar issues on their hackintoshes, both here on tonymacx86 and other similar sites. It is even happening on some real Macs as well.
Yup - and more and more people keep popping in with this same USB dropout issue (myself included). Unfortunately .... no one seems to have any clue. :/

@CaseySJ
I've been incredibly happy with this build for over a year, it served me well, but I am having a lot of trouble getting an internal PCIe card to work reliably.
Once the system recognises it it works like a charm, but the trouble I have is that it only shows up whimsically every few reboots (could be 2, could be 20) of the system and I haven't been able to understand how and why.

The card is a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI (http://www.magewell.com/products/pro-capture-hdmi)

Because I need this for work, I'm in the process of biting the bullet and getting a Mac Pro, as I can't risk one morning not being able to capture a tutorial or a demo of a product, but maybe it's could be interesting to create some literature on how one would address such hardware issues.

The device requires its own driver, and it appears (when it does) in the Camera section of the System Profiler, and as I said, once it decides to show up :)

I have been scraping the internet on how to create SSDT and DSDT for PCIe cards but am not even sure that would be the way to go.
Because the system unpredictably loads this device there must be an easier way to tackle this.
Any pointer is appreciated, mostly for my own mental sanity because although I'll jump off the Hackintosh train in the near future I still can't accept not having a solution for this :D

Also... it seems that lately the TB3 ports don't always show up...

Thank you
Ubi
It may be useful to have an IO Registry dump when the driver is working and when it is not to compare.
Also, any messages in the system log related to the driver "ProCaptureDriver"? You might need to set log debug level.
system_profiler SPCameraDataType
sudo log config --mode "level: debug"
log show --last boot --style compact --predicate 'senderImagePath contains "ProCaptureDriver"'

Never heard of this company. Why don't you try a Black Magic card? I tried an Intensity and a mini recorder (both PCIe) at some point and they worked OK with the right(not necessarily latest) drivers.
I also own a BM TB2 Mini Recorder and a BM DeckLink Mini 4K, but the Magewell is far superior when it comes to System Integration, speed and reliability. For instance both BM products I own are not able to negotiate proper settings with my 2 Sony Axxxx cameras.
The price tag is of course much higher when it comes to Magewell, but a couple of pro users I know in streaming/filming/processing use MW and discourage the use of BM.
As I wrote, when the MW works it's incredible :)

Back