sorry, let me be sure I understand correctly,
Code:
setup_var_3 0x5C1 0
it's the same of
Code:
setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0
to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register?
Yes correct -- we can specify either 0 or 0x0

CaseySJ has mentioned that HDMI doesn't work in 10.15.5, can't find the particular post though.
Is that HDMI from the mainboard isn't working?

UPDATE: I read a bit more and I see yes it is the onboard (motherboard) HDMI that is having issues.

I'm using HDMI from my Radeon card and it's fine (better then fine actually, well it's better on this card then on my previous Vega 64s. I can run 4k @60Hz unlike my previous cards I could only do that on a DP) and I'm running 10.15.5

Is that HDMI from the mainboard isn't working?

UPDATE: I read a bit more and I see yes it is the onboard (motherboard) HDMI that is having issues.

I'm using HDMI from my Radeon card and it's fine (better then fine actually, well it's better on this card then on my previous Vega 64s. I can run 4k @60Hz unlike my previous cards I could only do that on a DP) and I'm running 10.15.5

Yes, it's the iGPU - HD630 - HDMI I can't get working. I don't have a dedicated GPU for this build so I'm kind of relying on the in-build one. My 2nd monitor works on all 10.15.x using Thunderbolt to DP cable. I was curious if anyone else is relying on iGPU and has working HDMI?

i flashed it with DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin - is that the best choice?

i used a modded programmer instead of a raspberry pi. Seemed to work like a charm! i haven’t even plugged in a tbolt device yet to test. Going to check it out today. Looking forward to the glory.
Ok @CaseySJ - I think I successfully flashed my on-board Thunderbolt. I got 3 matching reads to confirm, then a verified message after flashing.
I think I’ve modified my .aml correctly and have it in clover.
When I boot I don’t see any Thunderbolt devices and they won’t connect. (UAD stuff).
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong here?

...thanks again.

..and I don’t see it in Ioreg explorer.

Yes - card was as supplied. No flashing / modification required, although I did reduce / remove all TB security blocks in BIOS settings. Cant remember if I had to do this first before the screens worked as I had a normal DP monitor connected to test at first (no longer needed so 100% on the TB displays).

Set up is i5-9600KF, Designare Z390 + RX590 graphics card + GB Alpine Ridge card. AR card not connected to any header as none on MB in PCIe slot furthest from CPU. Two display port in loops from RX590 into Alpine Ridge then Apple TB3-TB2 connector to display 1, display 2 daisy chained to display 1 TB1 port. Displays work in extend mode (e.g not just two copies of same screen).

I do have a 2nd TB3 - TB2 adapter, originally tried to connect both displays directly but only one works in this config. Not sure where issue here lies (graphics card vs AR card vs monitor) but daisy chain works so happy with that.

The other bits of the display dont work (camera, speakers, mic) at this point - there is a potential fix suggested but not yet tried this out.

Card is the GB alpine ridge card:

Purchased on Ebay - search for:

GIGABYTE GC-ALPINE RIDGE (Rev 2.0) Thunderbolt3 Certified PCI-E Expansion card

Took about 1 month to get to UK from Taiwan seller.

Let me know if any other questions

+ one further update - both cameras / speakers / mics now seem to be working... I've not changed anything since yesterday, so maybe Windows has found some drivers in the background. I've only tested this out on Win10 so can't guarantee it would work on other OS but it all seems to be coming through BIOS at startup so it *should* if driver issues can be resolved.

Ok @CaseySJ - I think I successfully flashed my on-board Thunderbolt. I got 3 matching reads to confirm, then a verified message after flashing.
I think I’ve modified my .aml correctly and have it in clover.
When I boot I don’t see any Thunderbolt devices and they won’t connect. (UAD stuff).
Is there something I am missing or doing wrong here?

...thanks again.

..and I don’t see it in Ioreg explorer.
Arrg! Figured it out. Apologies.
I was experimenting with applethunderboltnhi.kext and forgot I had removed it to try and get things running smoother. On my older hack it allows me to boot a lot faster without it and things work great.
All working and looks great! Thanks so much for the work put into this.

@CaseySJ I was just wondering how come the original build guide on page 1 included an SSDT for the RX580 but on the newer May2020 Catalina guide there is no SSDT for the GPU?

Does (or did) the SSDT have performance / stability benefits over just letting whatevergreen do its thing? I currently just use Clover Devices to specify and rename my RX580 so it shows in PCI but am always keen to learn if there are better ways to do things - like with the SSDT from page 1.

@CaseySJ I was just wondering how come the original build guide on page 1 included an SSDT for the RX580 but on the newer May2020 Catalina guide there is no SSDT for the GPU?

Does (or did) the SSDT have performance / stability benefits over just letting whatevergreen do its thing? I currently just use Clover Devices to specify and rename my RX580 so it shows in PCI but am always keen to learn if there are better ways to do things - like with the SSDT from page 1.
Hello @c0c0p0ps

The RX580 SSDT was only being used to rename the device, which is more easily done through Clover or OpenCore Device Properties. So you’re not missing out on anything!

@CaseySJ

Hi and honestly thanks for the fantastic work on Thunderbolt.

Sorry for highjacking the thread, I understand my board is different, yet I'm using an SSDT from your repository and need some help.

My board is an ASUS X99a-ii, with a Thunderbolt EX3 plugged in SB slot 2(I have a RAID card and a Blackmagic mini monitor occupying the rest of the slots and this seems to be the only combination that actually works).

Using the TbtOnPch-Asus-Z370-A-Prime-II SSDT from the repo I get a full tree in IOReg (or possibly a longer tree than I should as the card has only one TB port) plus Thunderbolt Bus and the card shows up in PCI section of System Information.

I'm having trouble doing the patches in Clover. could you have a look at my DSDT and let me know how I can convert TINI to INI as I have no clue how to turn it into HEX? I also saw there is a _E10 method under GPE, can I use the same HEX values as in the X99 Deluxe II SSDT in the repo?

By the way, I tried using that SSDT but get no TB Bus and card doesn't show up in PCI section.

Unfortunately right now I have only the following to play with:
TB3-TB2 adapter plus BMD Intensity Shuttle
TB3-TB2-FW800 adapters plus FW800 HDD
DP from GPU to EX3, then TB3 to DP to monitor

None of them show up in IOReg, but then again they don't show up in windows either so I wonder if it's a card issue. In 2 days I'll have a TB2 dock to play with and will try again. I wonder if my BIOS settings are correct, I'll post a pic if it's useful.

I'm attaching IOReg screenshots with and without SSDT, DSDT plus SSDT.

Thanks!
Hello @Petros,

Regarding the DSDT.aml that you posted, is it the original DSDT.aml from your Asus X99A-II and was it exported in either of these 2 ways?
  • From Clover Boot Menu by pressing F4
  • From Hackintool --> Utilities --> Dump ACPI
The Asus Z370-A Prime II SSDT should not be able to activate your Thunderbolt Bus. Are you certain that Thunderbolt Bus is activated using the Asus Z370-A Prime II SSDT? If so, I have no explanation for that because:
  • Your DSDT.aml shows that there is no function named GPCB() that returns the base address of MMIO.
  • Your DSDT.aml shows that there is no device RP08.PXSX.
  • Because the Asus Z370-A Prime II SSDT is calling GPCB() and deleting device RP08.PXSX, neither of which exists, it means this particular SSDT should be rejected by macOS during boot, or it should generate numerous ACPI errors.

Last edited:
Quick question, I have my hackintosh in headless with IGPU+GPU mode and when testing with geekbench 5 it only shows my RX 580. On my real macbookpro I can see both... I wanted to test metal on the intel on the hackintosh, is it possible or I got wrong settings on my hack?

Back