Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Have you issues with motherboard's HDMI port and 10.15.5 or (and) WEG 1.4.0 ?

Dropping into this thread to say hello and thank you. I've got my new i9 9900k based machine up and running, and it appears to be stable! I successfully used unibeast, clover, and the files from the catalina micro-guide in this thread to install MacOS. I even used the migration assistant to restore my user profile, apps and files from a timemachine backup. Magic!

My semi-ancient MOTU828x audio interface is successfully running over thunderbolt 2 (with adapter). I'm not sure this is 100% reliable at the moment, I have three issues:
1- When I came to my desk this morning, the interface had disconnected and I needed to reboot to get MacOS to recognise it. The machine did not sleep overnight, so I'm unsure what caused this to happen.
2- When I installed the fenvi wifi adapter, it seemed to cause the thunderbolt interface to disappear - it wasn't detected under PCI devices in the system report. I reseated the card, checked the BIOS settings and on reboot it was detected again. I'll keep an eye on this.
3- hot plugging the MOTU doesn't work, it seems it must be connected on boot to be detected by MacOS. Maybe there's something in this thread I missed about how to get hotplug running?

Congrats on that. Is that a binned chip? What speed are you running it at and what's the vcore set at?

When you say hot plugging, do you mean power-off/power-on, TB device reconnects (or not)?
If you're using Catalina, I guess all the MOTU drivers, etc. are 64 bit if your DAW is running.
Thunderbolt can be goofy. I'm assuming you're already loading your Clover, patches, kexts, and drivers from the EFI: Go to the top of the build guide and make sure your BIOS settings for Thunderbolt didn't get changed. Also, if you have a "safety EFI" on one of your attached drives, make sure that the right EFI is mounting: After restarting, hammer away at F12 and make sure the right EFI source is loading your setup.

Use only your MOTU device for all i/o. Avoid using built-in audio or aggregate devices.
IME, sleep causes nothing but problems for DAWs and interfaces.
Disable any kind of energy-saving, disk-spindown type of feature. The only exception being maybe letting your monitor go to black after an hour of inactivity.

Gimme a minute and I'll post my BIOS setup. Update: Here ya' go.

Attachments

• 200610220228.jpg
    200610220228.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 200610215733.jpg
    200610215733.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 200610215811.jpg
    200610215811.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 200610222649.jpg
    200610222649.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 200610215955.jpg
    200610215955.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 200610215942.jpg
    200610215942.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 60
  • 200610215823.jpg
    200610215823.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 200610220143.jpg
    200610220143.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 200610215713.jpg
    200610215713.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 200610215934.jpg
    200610215934.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Had some questions, I wanted to see if anyone has run into similar issues.
Since updating to 10.15.5 and the supplemental update that came shortly after it I have been experiencing random freezes or lags on my computer.
EX. I will be opening safari or switching tabs and computer lags and shows color wheel and color wheel freezes and the computer doesn't respond for 14-20 seconds and then catches up.

This was not something that was happening prior. Not sure if it's due to the update of macOS or maybe due to the update of kexts prior to doing update?
Those are the only 2 items that changed from when I was running with no issues.

Has anyone else experienced similar behaviors?

I had an issue with a BIOS screen freeze after the WEG/Lilu update previous to the current one. When I rolled back my EFI, everything was fine. I think there may have been some issues. I'm on the latest everything, but I'm still on Mojave. I've disabled WiFi and BT.

Here are my "energy saver" settings: My binned i9 9900KS is basic at 4 GHz, turbo all cores is limited to 4.8GHz, vcore is ~1.3V, Turbo setting. XMP is off, 64 GB RAM is stock at 2666, FWIW, the Sapphire RX-580's switch is set to "compute" mode.

Attachments

• IPG Max_All Test.png
    IPG Max_All Test.png
    370.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Cinebench R20.png
    Cinebench R20.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 55
  • GB5.png
    GB5.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 61
Have you issues with motherboard's HDMI port and 10.15.5 or (and) WEG 1.4.0 ?
Yes, on-board HDMI is no longer working in Catalina. It's affecting everyone as far as I know (not just Designare).

Some of the issues you listed can be resolved by flashing the firmware or using an SSDT that enables Thunderbolt Bus. Neither of these options is perfect, however, as each has some issues either with wake-from-sleep or hot plug. But at some point it may be worth experimenting first with the SSDT approach and subsequently with flashing the firmware.

The SSDT approach (for Alpine Ridge) can be found here.

Thanks - I might try this at the weekend if I don't get dragged into other things.

Just want to say a say a big thanks to everyone who's fed in suggestions previously in the thread - I'd have been selling the monitors long before now had this not given me the encouragement and suggestions of how to do this! I had hoped all would work out of the box, but as with all things Thunderbolt related it appears to be far harder than it should be (mainly due to intel / gigabyte doing funny things removing backwards compatability with Titan Ridge but not telling anybody)

Yes, with unpatched firmware on GC-Titan Ridge, I was able to have both monitors run through the dock. One 4K on dock DP and One HD via usb-c to HDMI adapter plugged into TB3 out of dock. Zero problems with unpatched firmware.

So, which firmware are you using? An unpatched version of NVM 50? Or some other version (if so, can you say which one?) Because on post #21452, I thought you posted two versions of NVM 50, but both I thought were patched? Both have Elias in the name so I thought they both were patched.

I have not experienced this myself (on 3 systems that have been updated), but if you still have the full bootable backup from before the update, double-check if these issues are present there.

Just reverted over and boot-override to the EFI for the backup as well as booting into the backup on 10.15.3 gonna use it a bit and see if I start to see any of the same.

So far I haven't had it happen, and I've been running it for over 20 mins I would have experienced it a bit by now on my main drive.
Could it be caused by the KEXT updates I did?

Kexts- Backup
AppleALC v. 1.4.7
IntelMausi v. 1.0.2
Lilu v. 1.4.2
SmallTreeIntel82576 v. 1.0
SMCProcessor v. 1.1.1
SMCSuperIO v. 1.1.1
USBInjectAll v. 0.7.1
VirtualSMC v. 1.1.1
WhateverGreen v. 1.3.7

Kexts- Main
AppleALC v. 1.5.0
IntelMausi v. 1.0.3
Lilu v. 1.4.5
SmallTreeIntel82576 v. 1.0
SMCProcessor v. 1.1.4
SMCSuperIO v. 1.1.4
USBInjectAll v. 0.7.1
VirtualSMC v. 1.1.4
WhateverGreen v. 1.4.0

So, which firmware are you using? An unpatched version of NVM 50? Or some other version (if so, can you say which one?) Because on post #21452, I thought you posted two versions of NVM 50, but both I thought were patched? Both have Elias in the name so I thought they both were patched.
I'm currently using patched NVM50 (GC-TITAN-RIDGE_rev50_Elias64Fr). I cannot get the DP port on dock to work consistently, but otherwise everything else is working without problems.

To answer my own question after some trial and error - I've now got two Apple TB monitors working with Designare / Alpine Ridge card. It's not quite the outcome I'd wanted when buying the board, but better than I'd feared at one point.

Some points which may be of use to someone in similar position:

I) The Alpine Ridge card works without flashing or bridging any pins, bios doesn't show the PCI card but the displays work and are available throughout bios set up. TB set up options appear in BIOS only when a TB device it can recognise is connected - so the AR card is intervening between the TR controller on the MB and activating the options.

Ii) I've dual displayport feeds going into alpine ridge card, but only one of the two Thunderbolt ports actually gives an output, havent really investigated further given point iii)

Iii) despite not being able to use both Thunderbolt 3 ports, I can "daisy chain" the thunderbolt monitors on the active port, so both are detected and work. This implies add-in card + controller are able to support MSS in some form (this was issue with my previous old build hence moving to 2-port designare)

Iv) the camera / speakers / mics are not detected, for ease I've just gone with external ones although I may continue to try.
That's great! Just for my own clarity, two questions: (1) you have 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays working on your rig without any modifications to the card, right?, and (2) to be sure, what card did you buy? (Link please).

Hi all and @CaseySJ

Im finally doing it! Just flashed my thunderbolt on the Designare, but don't know what I'm doing with the SSDt stuff after.

How do I "Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method."

Edit: To clarify - I'm using Maciasl and am just manuualyn changing the values in the aml file - but when I hit save or compile I just get an error for an unexpected ")" - and I fi remove the offending ")" I then get the error "result is not used..."

Last edited:
Back