Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello!
I have an Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX/AC with an i9 9900K processor using internal graphics.
I keep getting hung up in the Catalina installation.
would any of these guides be applicable for trying to do a fresh install?
I am awareof @pupins patch for Asrock motherboards and have referred To a bunch of EFI’s installing Mojave, when actually was having better luck getting into Catalina’s installer.

Use the site search and find the guide for your board.

I have followed a guide for my board. Most lead to here and citing to add the specific for Asrock boards.

As far as I can tell this guide:

Is a complete guide that includes a configured EFI, I did not spend a long time reading the thread but it does not look like it references this thread. It maybe include a credit to caseysj for helping with something like the Thunderbolt but I did not see it. In addition getting hung up installing Catalina is not an error message, hard to trouble shoot a problem without much information.

Unfortunately I don't. Still using my trusty Sapphire R9 380 as it does all I need! As my final contribution to "Alpine Mania" here is the current SSDT I'm using for the Z370itx/ac stripped to the bone and with all OperationRegion addresses calculated so no ACPI delay on startup. Note that I added a PINI condition to RP05.INI in the bios built-in DSDT so you no longer need the _INI to XINI ACPI rename.
I don't know much about ACPI ,can you please tell me how to all calculate OperationRegion addresses with my RP17 @0x000D8000?

My GC Titan Ridge has finnaly arrived...
1) I installed card into bottom slot
2) Booted to Windows
3) Downloaded and installed the driver from Gigabyte.
4) Then rebooted to BIOS.
5) Set the Settings as seen in the images.
6) Boot to Osx
9) Placed the SSDT on ACPI
10) Rebooted to Osx
708834529_bios1.thumb.jpg.c80c7ad27d8ff39f8b33fc0cc6aba7f7.jpg
782350002_bios2.thumb.jpg.d74f978c149eca7725954790a6aff05e.jpg
1473979918_bios3.thumb.jpg.0e6997a7a62fb36456c8604276c69ea7.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 00.41.00.png
Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 00.41.25.png
Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 00.41.47.png

Nothing in thunderbolts devices:( Could somebody help me fix it? I use OpenCore 0.5.9

So, @CaseySJ

I modded my GC-Titan Ridge card and everything went fine. All the checksums were perfect, and the file I used (Elias NVM50 14B) copied perfectly. I had previously reviewed the file: SSDT-X299-TB3HP_CaseySJ.aml, so I was hopeful.

However, I've had a significant reduction in what I can do with my card and TB in macOS. I can no longer hotplug anything. (and I do mean anything - it just doesn't work - not my USB C 10G drives nor my older TB 1 drive, all of which worked before). The only way any of them worked was to warm reboot or plug them in before starting the computer (but for me, for my uses, this is far from ideal, and I didn't have this problem with the previous OEM firmware - hot plug was working).

I spent about two hours trying to get target mode to work and I got nowhere. I tried from my 18 core hack to my Macbook and I tried the other direction and in either case, none of the target disks showed up in finder or in disk utility. I've done this before with real Macs and it's not the best utility, but it does work. I was using a fully active Apple certified TB 3 cable just so you know.

I don't have an eGPU to test with nor do I have lots of audio equipment.

The only good thing is I have a backup of the old firmware and/or I can try another version for the Titan Ridge card, so I can re-flash if I want to.

But before I do that, I was wondering if you could take a quick look at my AML file, and I attached some screenshots (you'll note that on IOThunderboltPort@7, I do have a Port Number of 0x7). The path, as entered in the AML looks correct to me. I'm just wondering if I left something out, or something isn't as it should be? Did I miss something, maybe?

EDIT: I've added some more screenshots, and I also wanted to add that I am running the non-NDK version of Opencore now. Based on the screenshots below, you can see that the system responds to the TB 1 device when it's connected before boot and it shows that in the screenshot. But, the USB C 10g drive does not show there (even though it's connected to port 1 on the TB card), rather it shows under USB. In either case, they must be connected at boot, and only one of them can be connected. If both are connected, the TB 1 drive never loads.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 2.54.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 2.54.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.31.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.32.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.33.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.33.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.36.57 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP_CaseySJ.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hi all,

Been a little while since I've hopped on the thread.

I'm back on Mojave and pretty stable these days - no crashing or system/screen freezes at all, but I'm having an issue every once in a while where all my USB ports stop working randomly. I originally tried USBInjectall 0.7.5 but that gave me no working USB at all on Mojave, so I went back to 0.7.3. Not sure if this is a thing or not, or if anyone has an easy fix for this or not, but I thought I'd check. Anyone have a suggestion or fix? Pretty sure everything else is in order in my EFI folder.

My UAD Apollo audio is a lot better also, but I get the dreaded crackling every now and then so I'm planning to flash my thunderbolt like some of you already have. Been putting that off for too long, and it seems that almost all of you are getting improved results by doing so. Amazing that this is possible, as it seems pretty necessary for me now.

Good morning, Casey. After leaving it running all night, and turning the monitor on this morning, I found that the system was still running 100% with no freezes to anything, whereas the previous install froze all ports after performing the same test. Also occurred at random intervals (hours or minutes.) Firewire PCIe and Thunderbolt ports work (we both use a Firewire interface. I also have a TB2 interface with a dongle to TB3.) So I believe it's safe now to add a warning about Inland Premium M.2 drives being hit & miss. Again, it's now running on a WD Blue 1TB SSD. Thanks so much!!!
Note 5c has been added to top of Post #1:
Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.54.50 PM.png

Yes, way too high..
Been trouble shooting the whole day..What I did.
Replace the Alphacool by an old NZXT. = same results.
Replace the processor by an old I7 8700K = same behaviour
Change the bios to F9b no changes
System is now on normal settings no OC.
I have 2 fans on radiator+ 2 fans frontal and 1 on back....now I set all at full speed on a attempt to control the heat.
Still temps are around 60 C in idle and 85 under a very light load i.e browsing internet on safari.
No idea on what cause this, system was stable before with Vega64 and replacing to the 5700 XT should not cause this madness.
The funny thing is that the system is stable, no KP or freezing.
Have you checked temperatures in Windows?

The following suggestion won't sound appealing, but it may be worth doing:
  • Install macOS from scratch on a spare SSD and do not install any third-party apps. You may, of course, install HWMonitorSMC2, but for now avoid installing iStat Menus.
  • With just the base macOS system installed, what temperatures do you observe?

So, @CaseySJ

I modded my GC-Titan Ridge card and everything went fine. All the checksums were perfect, and the file I used (Elias NVM50 14B) copied perfectly. I had previously reviewed the file: SSDT-X299-TB3HP_CaseySJ.aml, so I was hopeful.

However, I've had a significant reduction in what I can do with my card and TB in macOS. I can no longer hotplug anything. (and I do mean anything - it just doesn't work - not my USB C 10G drives nor my older TB 1 drive, all of which worked before). The only way any of them worked was to warm reboot or plug them in before starting the computer (but for me, for my uses, this is far from ideal, and I didn't have this problem with the previous OEM firmware - hot plug was working).

I spent about two hours trying to get target mode to work and I got nowhere. I tried from my 18 core hack to my Macbook and I tried the other direction and in either case, none of the target disks showed up in finder or in disk utility. I've done this before with real Macs and it's not the best utility, but it does work. I was using a fully active Apple certified TB 3 cable just so you know.

I don't have an eGPU to test with nor do I have lots of audio equipment.

The only good thing is I have a backup of the old firmware and/or I can try another version for the Titan Ridge card, so I can re-flash if I want to.

But before I do that, I was wondering if you could take a quick look at my AML file, and I attached some screenshots (you'll note that on IOThunderboltPort@7, I do have a Port Number of 0x7). The path, as entered in the AML looks correct to me. I'm just wondering if I left something out, or something isn't as it should be? Did I miss something, maybe?

EDIT: I've added some more screenshots, and I also wanted to add that I am running the non-NDK version of Opencore now. Based on the screenshots below, you can see that the system responds to the TB 1 device when it's connected before boot and it shows that in the screenshot. But, the USB C 10g drive does not show there (even though it's connected to port 1 on the TB card), rather it shows under USB. In either case, they must be connected at boot, and only one of them can be connected. If both are connected, the TB 1 drive never loads.

This is how 50 behaved for me and it is why I use 33. Did you try 33 for the Designare board? or maybe even 50 for z490 Designare board? I can not help with the ssdt much and even less because you use X299. Did you make your own SSDT or did you use the one Casey has and modify the root path & fix the DROM?

Back