Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Replacing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with OcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices fixed kernel panic on every shutdown for me and I finally installed latest updates on Mojave 14.6. Maybe it will be helpful for others.

I did the bios update

All looks very good, except that i can no longer enter BIOS at boot :) So i cant actually disable cfg in the bios.
Might just leave it be until the next bios version comes out and re-flash

Right now, I am on 10.15.5 and all is stable
I've had the same issue trying to install F9h. For some reason, I cannot enter BIOS by pressing DEL during boot. I had to boot to Windows and use their Qflash app to downgrade back to F8, which I fortunately backed up, so all my settings are still intact.

I've had the same issue trying to install F9h. For some reason, I cannot enter BIOS by pressing DEL during boot. I had to boot to Windows and use their Qflash app to downgrade back to F8, which I fortunately backed up, so all my settings are still intact.

Same for me...
To downgrade F9b or F8 i used Q-flash. (press F8 when you can't not enter BIOS). No need to boot Windows.

If you have 2 or more monitors, use just 1, and you'll have bios screen.

Casey, You're Genius !!! okay Mojave is Successfully installed.
could you tell me what Kexts should I pick with multibeast 11.3.0-4?
I got gigabyte Designare z390 with I9 AMD sapphire Radeon RX580, corsair Force mp510 NVME, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x16 gb ram and highpoint rocket raid 2720SGL with 8 attached crucial MX500 Drives to it
UEFI boot mode? or Legacy?

Thank you SO very much!!
Glad to hear it. Regarding MultiBeast, the answer depends on whether MSR 0xE2 has been unlocked.
  • If MSR 0xE2 is locked (default) then MultiBeast setup is shown in the spoiler on Post #1 entitled Post-Installation with MultiBeast 11.2.0. This apples to 11.3.0-x as well.
  • If MSR 0xE2 is unlocked and native NVRAM has been enabled (as per this guide) then the following MultiBeast configuration may be used:
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 4.47.32 AM.png

Please let us know if the system remains stable. If so, I can add an appropriate warning.

Good morning, Casey. After leaving it running all night, and turning the monitor on this morning, I found that the system was still running 100% with no freezes to anything, whereas the previous install froze all ports after performing the same test. Also occurred at random intervals (hours or minutes.) Firewire PCIe and Thunderbolt ports work (we both use a Firewire interface. I also have a TB2 interface with a dongle to TB3.) So I believe it's safe now to add a warning about Inland Premium M.2 drives being hit & miss. Again, it's now running on a WD Blue 1TB SSD. Thanks so much!!!

Those temperatures are too high:
  • Is the CPU cooler working? Are all radiator and case fans running?
  • Is the cooler properly attached to the CPU? Was a thin amount of thermal paste used?
  • If you have Windows on this machine, HWINFO64 can be used to monitor temperatures. This can tell us whether the high temperature problem exists only in macOS or also in Windows.
View attachment 474982
Yes, way too high..
Been trouble shooting the whole day..What I did.
Replace the Alphacool by an old NZXT. = same results.
Replace the processor by an old I7 8700K = same behaviour
Change the bios to F9b no changes
System is now on normal settings no OC.
I have 2 fans on radiator+ 2 fans frontal and 1 on back....now I set all at full speed on a attempt to control the heat.
Still temps are around 60 C in idle and 85 under a very light load i.e browsing internet on safari.
No idea on what cause this, system was stable before with Vega64 and replacing to the 5700 XT should not cause this madness.
The funny thing is that the system is stable, no KP or freezing.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Can you take a look at my original GC-Alpine Ridge rev2.0 firmware? The card does not even appear in the BIOS of my Designare Z390 motherboard. I tried to flash with GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin which was the closest, but it still did not appear. Then I flashed it with GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin, and it finally appeared. With this latest firmware, I have my Thunderbolt bus under macOS, and my peripherals work but without HotPlug. But if I install the DSDT, I have a sudden reboot when I make a Thunderbolt 1 hotplug. The firmware is perhaps not quite adapted to my card? I can send you my IOregistry if you want.

Attachments

• GC-ALPINE RIDGE origin.BIN.zip
    146.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Hello!
I have an Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX/AC with an i9 9900K processor using internal graphics.
I keep getting hung up in the Catalina installation.
would any of these guides be applicable for trying to do a fresh install?
I am awareof @pupins patch for Asrock motherboards and have referred To a bunch of EFI’s installing Mojave, when actually was having better luck getting into Catalina’s installer.

Back