Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Casey, thank you for your response, I'm using MBP 2009 patched into Mojave 14.5, I've used UniBeast to first make a Mojave installer, that didn't work this is what the disk looks like, I presume that's Clover? I'm sorry I'm just learning all this. I would appreciate any help.
Someone encountered the same issue and was able to get a working Mojave installer created by following parts of the Catalina -- yes, Catalina -- mini-guide.

Please review and follow the Catalina 10.15.1+ build guide located here. Whenever you see "Catalina" in Step 1, just change it to "Mojave".

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Someone encountered the same issue and was able to get a working Mojave installer created by following parts of the Catalina -- yes, Catalina -- mini-guide.

Please review and follow the Catalina 10.15.1+ build guide located here. Whenever you see "Catalina" in Step 1, just change it to "Mojave".

Let me know if you run into any issues.
Okay, I figured out what my issue was. My dongle was not formatted with GUID Partition. Now that I got it correctly Mojave version shows up in my list on the hackintosh and allows me to go further gets me to Clover app. I select the USB drive, and it takes me all the way to Mojave "choose your language". At that point, both keyboard and the mouse get locked up and will not allow me to chose the language or move further.

BTW, I disabled the CFG Lock

Thank you so much for your help. I may have to start supporting this joint.:headbang:

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am running Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287) and its a dream machine! Thanks @CaseySJ for all your amazing work.
My boot drive is Called Catalina and i have 2 full working backups with CCC and the backup script
I have been trying to update to 10.15.5 without much success. (The update to 10.15.4 was no problem)
When I run the update from about this mac ->software update, the update starts and notifies that a restart is required. The restart commences and the updated start to install (apple logo with progress bar underneath) and does this for about a minute before the reboot.

On reboot, I do not get a boot option to install on Catalina and if i select boot macOS from Catalina, its boot straight into the OS (10.15.4).

The boot options I have are:
  1. Boot macOS install Prebooter from PreBoot
  2. Boot filevault Prebooter from Preboot
  3. Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data
  4. Boot Recovery from Recovery
  5. Boot MacOS from Catalina

Things I have done:
  1. Updated Clover (UEFI r5118)
  2. Updated Kexts (I use Kext Updater)
  3. Reset NVRam
  4. Hit f1 + f3 at clover to see if there are any other hidden boot options (there are not)
  5. Downloaded the Combo update pkg from Apple and run the update from that
  6. followed the full "Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4" including the steps to unlock MSR 0xE2.
While I am not panicked about this version, I am concerned that if i dont fix this - my upgrade path is at an end

Please help

Hi @CaseySJ,

I forgot to mention that I have an "add" to your working list of accessories on your main guide:

- MOTU Fireface UFX+ (https://www.rme-usa.com/fireface-ufx.html)

This is a TB2 device and I use the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter) and it has worked perfectly since I built the system via your guide.

Thanks,
Lam

That's not a Motu device, it's made by the German company RME...

Hi All,
I am running Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287) and its a dream machine! Thanks @CaseySJ for all your amazing work.
My boot drive is Called Catalina and i have 2 full working backups with CCC and the backup script
I have been trying to update to 10.15.5 without much success. (The update to 10.15.4 was no problem)
When I run the update from about this mac ->software update, the update starts and notifies that a restart is required. The restart commences and the updated start to install (apple logo with progress bar underneath) and does this for about a minute before the reboot.

On reboot, I do not get a boot option to install on Catalina and if i select boot macOS from Catalina, its boot straight into the OS (10.15.4).

The boot options I have are:
  1. Boot macOS install Prebooter from PreBoot
  2. Boot filevault Prebooter from Preboot
  3. Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data
  4. Boot Recovery from Recovery
  5. Boot MacOS from Catalina

Things I have done:
  1. Updated Clover (UEFI r5118)
  2. Updated Kexts (I use Kext Updater)
  3. Reset NVRam
  4. Hit f1 + f3 at clover to see if there are any other hidden boot options (there are not)
  5. Downloaded the Combo update pkg from Apple and run the update from that
  6. followed the full "Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4" including the steps to unlock MSR 0xE2.
While I am not panicked about this version, I am concerned that if i dont fix this - my upgrade path is at an end

Please help

Upon restart, you should choose
  • Boot macOS install Prebooter from PreBoot
The actual install hasn't finished, you may get another couple of restarts, keep choosing
until it is no longer available.

Upon restart, you should choose
The actual install hasn't finished, you may get another couple of restarts, keep choosing
until it is no longer available.
Ok, that worked brilliantly

I did get an error at the end "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" but when i rebooted manually, I was on 10.15.5

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,

I forgot to mention that I have an "add" to your working list of accessories on your main guide:

- MOTU Fireface UFX+ (https://www.rme-usa.com/fireface-ufx.html)

This is a TB2 device and I use the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter) and it has worked perfectly since I built the system via your guide.

Thanks,
Lam
Awesome -- RME Fireface UFX+ added to Thunderbolt 3 Experiences.

Okay, I figured out what my issue was. My dongle was not formatted with GUID Partition. Now that I got it correctly Mojave version shows up in my list on the hackintosh and allows me to go further gets me to Clover app. I select the USB drive, and it takes me all the way to Mojave "choose your language". At that point, both keyboard and the mouse get locked up and will not allow me to chose the language or move further.

BTW, I disabled the CFG Lock

Thank you so much for your help. I may have to start supporting this joint.:headbang:
When this keyboard/mouse lockup happens during Mojave "Welcome" screen, please try disconnecting both the mouse and keyboard, and connecting them into a USB 3 port (any of the blue, red, or yellow USB ports).

Ok, that worked brilliantly

I did get an error at the end "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" but when i rebooted manually, I was on 10.15.5
The Bless Tool sets the name of the startup disk in NVRAM. If CFG-Lock is enabled (i.e. MSR 0xE2 is locked) and the native NVRAM SSDT is not present, then this will occur.

Unfortunately, this also means that boot options 1 and 3 in your previous post are most likely still present at the Clover Boot Menu.

Suggestions:
  • Unlock MSR 0xE2 either by upgrading BIOS to F9h (from TweakTown; search this thread for "TweakTown") or
  • Unlock MSR 0xE2 with existing BIOS by following the procedure in this micro guide.
  • Enable native NVRAM by following this procedure.
If the macOS installation boot options (1 and 3) are still present, it will be necessary to download the 10.15.5 combo update from the Mac App Store and install it -- after unlocking MSR 0xE2.

Back