Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

10.15.5 update without issues.

Ive been running on a mini guide fresh install of 10.15.4 for months now no issues. I had gone the route of a fresh install after the 10.15.4 updates werent fully cleaning things up leaving install volumes etc. I'd also added NVRAM support in with .4.

I had paused on the 10.15.5 update after the frustrations of .4 but finally this morning updated my CCC backup and took the plunge to 10.15.5. Happy to say there were no issues the upgrade completely without issues.

Fully agree with @CaseySJ backups are a huge value and tool when things go wrong. If you move most of your user media off the root volume they are very quick. Updating my OS backup included ~8GB in total and took just at 9 minutes for the Samsung T5, far less time than a fresh install.

Open HWMonitorSMC's "setup" screen (bottom left corner of drop-down) and select this option:
View attachment 474511
It may be necessary to then Quit and restart HWMonitorSMC.
ok now view this...its 0º ever....
Captura de pantalla 2020-06-07 a las 19.13.51.png

Paging @scottkendall.

The only time I had that type of behavior was when I was using Thunderbolt without a header cable or when I tried using Thunderbolt with it completely disabled in BIOS. Your issue might lie somewhere in there.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I tried many things without success...
Now I am using the DSDT V3 from this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/
with no DROM patching, No more sudden reboots but no more hotplug...
I'm not sure about the pinout for the header jumper.
Is it better to just modify the activation bytes with correct CRC on the original firmware or flash with GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin ?

Last edited:
When you say you "have all the outputs" what do you mean? Do you mean that all of the audio In/Out ports appear in System Information --> Audio as follows?

View attachment 474506
Indeed it looks like all of them. The Dell U32J59x is my monitor (hdmi). I'm wondering, since the install was Clover, if I have something left over that is messing stuff up... like, when I start Clover Configurator, it does show me the screen below...

1591554961177.png
1591554862331.png

indeed it looks like all of them. The U32J59x is my monitor ( hdmi ). I'm wondering since the install was clover if I have something left over that is messing stuff up... like when i start clover configurator it does show me the screen below...
View attachment 474593View attachment 474591
Two suggestions:
  • Is the volume turned down, or the incorrect port selected?
  • If you boot again using Clover, do internal audio ports work?

Two suggestions:
  • Is the volume turned down, or the incorrect port selected?
  • If you boot again using Clover, do internal audio ports work?
interesting, I must have changed something in the BIOD because, when I boot Clover from the USB stick with the '-v' option, it crashes and does a kernel dump... Of course, I can't see the backtrace because it has run off the screen.

• Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Are you using FakeSMC or VirtualSMC?
  • If using VirtualSMC, are you also using SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext?

- I am using Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)
- VirtualSMC
- Yes , I am using SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext.

Sin título.jpg

Ah, I did reboot, I was just thinking that touch would take a while.

Looks like I'll wait and see if 15.5 works for me. Thanks for all the help. :)

So I'm now trying to install 10.15.5 and it seems like clover never gains an installation volume for me to select. There is just no change there, so the update never happens. Any ideas why this volume isn't being created/displayed? I've tried pressing F3 to reveal anything hidden, but that hasn't seemed to help. I'm using Clover 5119.

EDIT: These steps worked for me: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nstallation-volume.298842/page-2#post-2135219

Last edited:
This is literally the *exact* same issue I've been experiencing - USB dropouts, that were initially mistaken as freezes (but weren't).

In the last few weeks, I've managed to not encounter one (knock on wood), but I'm not 100% certain they're gone, and I've changed so much, I'm not exactly sure what slowed them down/stopped them. Key things to note:

- Moved USB keyboard to one of the black ports on the back (HS09/HS10).
- Changed smbios to iMacPro1,1
- Update BIOS to revision g (or H) and double checked to ensure internal bluetooth/wifi card was completely disabled

I still encounter times in Ableton where the GUI and entire system (except for audio) lags for several seconds. I'm not sure why. It's quite annoying, but thankfully, the system hasn't seemed to drop USB out yet. I'm not convinced the problem is absolutely gone yet, but....this 3 things have seemed to improve it for me.
I just experienced this same issue again for the first time in a week or so.

I can confirm now that not only does USB3 drop out, but USB2 does as well - so the entire USB subsysem drops at the same time. Had to literally power down the entire system to get any USB functionality to work again.

I started thinking this was a possible hardware issue, however with at least 3 people experiencing this exact same random issue with this build, I think it's safe to say it's likely not, especially when I can't duplicate it under windows at all.

Back