Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

SO this is VERY interesting. I left the system alone with the raspberry pie running for 20 minutes and I ran the flashrom command again and it found the chip!!!! I did nothing!!!!!
Awesome! Be sure to customize your Thunderbolt DROM and let us know how it goes!

Just booted with OpenCore and I don't see any notable difference with Clover at booting

BIOS "g" beta version
iMacPro1,1
same SMBIOS as Clover, without signing out from iCloud.

the reason I wanted to try OpenCore is because I have some weird random mouse lags, but the problem is still there (Magic Mouse 2 with Fenvi BT, and a normal USB mouse) do you have any idea about this?

Awesome! Be sure to customize your Thunderbolt DROM and let us know how it goes!
just to know, why we can't all use the same Thunderbolt DROM?

Yeah I'm not going to declare success yet, seems the shasum's don't match on the read. Is there a good way to search this forum? I would like to find what resister and cap I need to solder on to the board to help with stability.

just to know, why we can't all use the same Thunderbolt DROM?
I'm not sure but I think this post

says the benefits and purpose, but it isn't clear, what is being hex edited.... I think it's an aml file.

Honestly there is SO much information in this post it really should be a wiki.

@Inqnuam Did you use a raspberry pie to flash and did you use anything other than the clip and the breakout board?

@snoby

I have flashed the TB3 chips on two Gigabyte Designare Z390 boards, two GC-Titan Ridge boards, one GC-Alpine Ridge board, one ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac board, and one Intel NUC 7 board. All using a Raspberry Pi 4.

I can confirm that this can be a very challenging experience.

I used the Pomona 5250 clip initially which seemed to work well on most boards. When I tried that clip on the NUC 7 it just wouldn't grab that chip properly. I then moved to the "cheaper" clip CaseySJ suggested in his wonderful flashing mini-guide which grabbed the NUC 7 chip better.

At one point I decided to try to re-flash the NUC 7 back to the original firmware. I never could get the chip to be recognized. I tried different clips, different wiring, PSU plugged in, not plugged in. Literally at least 15 - 20 tries. Each try is time consuming - getting the clip "perfectly" attached, booting the RPI, entering the terminal command, and finding the chip wasn't recognized, shutting down the RPI, re-clipping.....

I finally just (temporarily) gave up and left the NUC 7 with the modified firmware which isn't much, if any, improvement over the original firmware.

I thought perhaps I had damaged the RPI by shorting one of the connectors to it. So I purchased another RPI which at some point I will try again to see if it works.

I also bought some spare clips. It looks like the tiny connectors that attach to the chip are very fragile and may become mis-aligned.

So sometimes it takes some people extreme perseverance to flash those darn chips. But it feels SO good when it works!

Good luck!

Yeah I'm not going to declare success yet, seems the shasum's don't match on the read. Is there a good way to search this forum? I would like to find what resister and cap I need to solder on to the board to help with stability.
resistor and all.png

I then moved to the "cheaper" clip CaseySJ suggested in his wonderful flashing mini-guide which grabbed the NUC 7 chip better.
I used this one
soic.png

Hey everyone!
I tried to mod the original Thunderbolt firmware using this forum but I can't get the hang of it and can use a little help from you guys.

Here's the dump from the original THU firmware.
(MBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7)
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• THU_GBZ170XG7orig.bin.zip
    282 KB · Views: 48
check this post and this

Back