Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It is not connected, didnt think I needed it connected, assumed PEG connection was for extra power to the PCIe with more than one GPU connected @CaseySJ has system shown to be more stable with PEG connection?
I was just curious, although some users have reported improved stability with other PCIe cards such as Fenvi FV-T919 when PEG is connected.

@scottkendall,

Thank you. I should have thought of that!

I'll report back how things go after my upgrade to 10.15.5 and the new RBoost.v1.6+VEGA.

Lam

Hi All,

Ok... After upgrading to 10.15.5 I ran the GB5 Metal and OpenCL tests with and without my newly modified "RadeonBoost-v1-6+Vega.kext" (attached and created using @scottkendall's suggestion) and compared them to my 10.15.4 install.

For reference, here are my 10.15.4 results with RBoost:

The result...no need for RadeonBoost anymore. The two GB5 results on 10.15.5 without RBoost is within 1.5% of my best results on 10.15.4 with "RadeonBoost-v1-4+Vega.kext". I also wanted to note that I upgraded to the newest Lilu/WhateverGreen/etc. prior to my 10.15.5 upgrade.

Lam

Attachments

• RadeonBoost-v1-6+Vega.kext.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi All,

Ok... After upgrading to 10.15.5 I ran the GB5 Metal and OpenCL tests with and without my newly modified "RadeonBoost-v1-6+Vega.kext" (attached and created using @scottkendall's suggestion) and compared them to my 10.15.4 install.

The result...no need for RadeonBoost anymore. The two GB5 results on 10.15.5 without RBoost is within 1.5% of my best results on 10.15.4 with "RadeonBoost-v1-4+Vega.kext". I also wanted to note that I upgraded to the newest Lilu/WhateverGreen/etc. prior to my 10.15.5 upgrade.

Lam
Hi lambusser are you on Clover or Opencore? TIA

Hello @Elias64Fr,

Just got a chance to examine your modified NVM 50. Regarding SubsystemID, are you referring to these three bytes? If so, does this make a functional difference or a cosmetic difference on the Designare Z390? In other words, if these 3 bytes are not changed, what effect do you observe?
View attachment 473393
Bonjour @CaseySJ

as said, all modifications are minors. These SubsystemID modifications (as defined on your screenshot) are only to identify Designare system, I didn't test without it but I think It would have no functional effect.

We could easily directly flash Z490 Vision D firmware with same result :)

Hi All,

Lam
This might be the results seen for a Vega but I can tell you there is no change in the GB5 results from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 for my RX 5700 XT. I tested both OpenCL and Metal by recovering my drive from my backup and testing again. The upgrade is not changing my numbers at all.

Hello! Can you please send me an EFI or OpenCore folder for the Designare Z390 with an SSDT so that Thunderbolt is displayed correctly. I have tried it for almost 3 weeks without any result with the last bottle I have scraped the board but luckily a new one I would be really happy about a point or I have to bottle it so that it is not recognized as a PCI or that it works with a correct SSDT, please help
Catalina 10.15.3

When the installer starts, you'll need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, select your target Catalina NVMe SSD, and format it.

Has anyone had problems at this stage with USB input devices not working properly? I've tried all the usb inputs on my machine for a mouse and an Apple Keyboard. No mouse seems to work, and keyboard arrows work, but I can't even press Return to engage the "Continue" button.

Followed all instructions on the Miniguide up until this point.

I'm noob-ish, but I had this build up and running in Mojave for a few months now, and I know my way around Clover pretty well. Is there something dumb that I am looking past?

Oh. My. God.

With Designare PSU cable unplugged I was able to read the flashrom 3 times but once i made a checksum i got 3 different
checksum different.png

Then i plugged the cable and push the button ON:
checksum ok.png

3 minutes later

BOOOOOOOOOOM
Thunderbolt.pngPCI.png

THANK YOU, ELIAS! THANK YOU, CASEY! Thanks to eevryone!!!

Sure, it's a good idea to see if the bootable backup disk still works.

Also try CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters once again. This will also require unlocking MSR 0xE2 if it was previously unlocked.
Thank you for your guidance, CaseySJ, I will immediately follow this line of thought

Back