Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For those who come from Retina display and want to have the same high resolution on their external 4K monitor you can activate "Retina mode" HiDPI with this command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

You can use SwitchResX or an alternatif to configure a custom screen resolution.

I wonder if this is due to any network-mounted filesystems (or NAS). Try disconnecting all external drives to see if the problem recurs.

I just wanted to send an update @CaseySJ almost 24 hours without any issues and uptime has been constant no restarts.

The only weird thing that happened was around 9:15pm EST about an hour after updates computer did seem to freeze everything stayed functional and operating I was on a conference call at the time and I stayed on but peripherals stopped working mouse and keyboard input was gone. I tried unplugging dongle or switching to Bluetooth secondary connection on MX Keys and Master 3, wasn't able to regain input until after a power cycle.

Outside of that after that initial power cycle its been up and running without any hiccups.

But I only saw F9h there, I saved F9g last week, please see attachment.

Any idea where to get that F9g bios?

Attachments

• Z390DESIGNARE.F9g.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 129
Hi Casey,

long time no talk... I just saw this new addition on the OpenCore page:

Is this something that would provide any benefit (sleep/wake issues, etc.), or do we already accomplish some of that with the one key wake up and USB fixes?
Hello @ncrispi,

We already implement SSDT-PLUG in OpenCore and its equivalent PluginType checkbox in Clover. Use of CPUFriend is optional, and the Dortania guide does a good job of walking through its setup.

I just wanted to send an update @CaseySJ almost 24 hours without any issues and uptime has been constant no restarts.

The only weird thing that happened was around 9:15pm EST about an hour after updates computer did seem to freeze everything stayed functional and operating I was on a conference call at the time and I stayed on but peripherals stopped working mouse and keyboard input was gone. I tried unplugging dongle or switching to Bluetooth secondary connection on MX Keys and Master 3, wasn't able to regain input until after a power cycle.

Outside of that after that initial power cycle its been up and running without any hiccups.
Is your PEG connector hooked up to power? PEG is located just below the six SATA ports.

Sure, please do this:
  • Boot the macOS Recovery volume
  • From the Tools menu, select Terminal and type:
Bash:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/"Mac S970"
  • Then select Reboot from the Apple menu (top left of screen)
  • When system reboots, try to boot Mojave again; does it work?

Feel free to remove both of these files:
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-USBW.aml
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other/USBWakeFixup.kext
Unfortunately, I still failed. There is no problem to boot the current system with USB disk . However, this is still the case when I click Update. I am considering whether to switch to the original EFI to test the upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_7313.JPG
    IMG_7313.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 49
Bonjour @CaseySJ

I have successfully tested Z490 Vision D NVM50 firmware (patched firmware) on Z390 Designare with some minor modifications like:
  • SubsystemID revert back to Designare
  • Modified DROM including Port 7 activation
  • Modified DROM including Apple system name (could be reverted back to Gigabyte)
  • Original Designare UID (00 00 .. ED) included on DROM in order to be customised on ThunderboltDROM property
This file include (as Z490 Vision D):
  • version 1.37.0 of Link controller firmware (instead of 0.99.0 of Designare)
  • version 1.38.6 of TI Power Delivery firmware (instead of 1.38.4 of Designare)
View attachment 473341

Results seem to be very good including Sleep/Wake with my HP eGPU. I join this new testing file :)
Hello @Elias64Fr,

Just got a chance to examine your modified NVM 50. Regarding SubsystemID, are you referring to these three bytes? If so, does this make a functional difference or a cosmetic difference on the Designare Z390? In other words, if these 3 bytes are not changed, what effect do you observe?
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 6.17.56 PM.png

Unfortunately, I still failed. There is no problem to boot the current system with USB disk . However, this is still the case when I click Update. I am considering whether to switch to the original EFI to test the upgrade.
Sure, it's a good idea to see if the bootable backup disk still works.

Also try CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters once again. This will also require unlocking MSR 0xE2 if it was previously unlocked.

Is your PEG connector hooked up to power? PEG is located just below the six SATA ports.

It is not connected, didnt think I needed it connected, assumed PEG connection was for extra power to the PCIe with more than one GPU connected @CaseySJ has system shown to be more stable with PEG connection?

Back