Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This happens to me about once a month. I've not been able to nail down and single cause that creates this condition.

Good to know. Do you have a lot of drives hooked up? Are you using a kensington turbo mouse. I ask about the kensington because I have it set left handed and I noticed after booting after a USB failures it defaults to it original settings. That could be a clue. Also, FWIW, I have a top of the line 750w power supply.

I'm investigating a couple possibilities/potential solutions:
I followed Casey's tip on the first page of this thread->

Custom USB SSDTs: Spoiler: Alternative USB Port Enumeration for Designare Z390
BTW, I messed this up failing to re-install the USBInjectAll kext properly (and deleting SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V(n).aml kext) and noticed All my ports were working except the USB2s and (internally connected) bluetooth died. So maybe the generic USB kext that gets loaded by itself might to do the trick (with the loss of the USB2 and bluetooth). Following this tangent I also wonder once the hackintool reenumeration method is working if it might be wise to delete the generic USB kext (sorry I forgot which one) that was listed in hackitool's extensions. Maybe there's a redundant conflict with the USB kexts.

Maybe this could be an issue as well: (also on 1st page of this thread)
Spoiler: If USB Ports Cannot Charge High Current Devices.

I'm trying to look at this as an interesting re-education into the ways of hackintosh..... so far so good!

This happens to me about once a month. I've not been able to nail down and single cause that creates this condition.

Yes, It happens to me once in a while as well

Mobi and Svandive,
Which version OSX are you running? Are either of you using the hackintool port ennumeration? How much is plugged into your USB ports? Might powering off Entirely have had any effect? Thanks _B

Good to know. Do you have a lot of drives hooked up? Are you using a kensington turbo mouse. I ask about the kensington because I have it set left handed and I noticed after booting after a USB failures it defaults to it original settings. That could be a clue. Also, FWIW, I have a top of the line 750w power supply.

I'm investigating a couple possibilities/potential solutions:
I followed Casey's tip on the first page of this thread->

Custom USB SSDTs: Spoiler: Alternative USB Port Enumeration for Designare Z390
BTW, I messed this up failing to re-install the USBInjectAll kext properly (and deleting SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V(n).aml kext) and noticed All my ports were working except the USB2s and (internally connected) bluetooth died. So maybe the generic USB kext that gets loaded by itself might to do the trick (with the loss of the USB2 and bluetooth). Following this tangent I also wonder once the hackintool reenumeration method is working if it might be wise to delete the generic USB kext (sorry I forgot which one) that was listed in hackitool's extensions. Maybe there's a redundant conflict with the USB kexts.

Maybe this could be an issue as well: (also on 1st page of this thread)
Spoiler: If USB Ports Cannot Charge High Current Devices.

I'm trying to look at this as an interesting re-education into the ways of hackintosh..... so far so good!
So for me the main items I have attached to my USB ports are RS232 Serial to USB adapters that I use for work. I have about six (6) of these attached to various ports. No hard drives except my M.2 to USB backup drive that I attach anytime I make a change to the OS or EFI.

My mouse and Keyboard are both Corsair (K95 RGB Platinum, and Darkcore) I never have any issues with either of these devices in Windows.

I’m running 10.15.4, I have a 1200 watt corsair power supply. I did notice recently that the USB ports on my Thunderbolt 3 Dock will still work when the rest of the native USB ports lock up.

I guess lastly I was running the USB Port Patch for several months, I recently changed over to using all of the “Stock” ACPI/KEXT/Drivers from the May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip. This means now I’m using the “standard” usb map kext.

Hello Everyone!

Quick question on upgrading to 10.15.5. I've seen a number of discussions on RadeonBoost.

Since I'm running "RadeonBoost-v1-4+Vega.kext" right now, can I still use it after the upgrade or does anyone know if v1.6

will now work with Vega cards?

Thanks!
Lam

I did that, and get this (please forgive the photo quality)
Please compress and upload the CLOVER folder from the USB install disk. Also boot into Mojave and check that all Hackintosh kexts have been removed from /Library/Extensions (and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache).

For the Fractal Design Define R6 and any other case that has...
  • Two USB 2 ports on the front
  • Two USB 3 ports on the front
  • No USB-C ports
...we can replace SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml with SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml. The Fractal Design ZIP file at the bottom of Post #1 contains both .aml and .dsl files. Only the .aml file should be copied to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

You said no USB-C ports, but my Fractal Design Define R6 has a USB-C port on the front. Can you clarify what you were saying?

Also, due to your post, I went back to double check my Define R6-specific setup and wanted to confirm something. In the build guide (under Custom USB SSDTs), it says that if you use the UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml file, you should delete SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml. However, the screen capture (image) right below that text shows both of those files residing in your EFI folder.

To confirm, those two files are mutually exclusive, correct? Thanks in advance!

You said no USB-C ports, but my Fractal Design Define R6 has a USB-C port on the front. Can you clarify what you were saying?
My mistake -- I should have fact-checked myself. The USB SSDT for Fractal Design R6 does in fact map the front panel USB-C port (SS01). Will fix the previous post.
Also, due to your post, I went back to double check my Define R6-specific setup and wanted to confirm something. In the build guide (under Custom USB SSDTs), it says that if you use the UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml file, you should delete SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml. However, the screen capture (image) right below that text shows both of those files residing in your EFI folder.

To confirm, those two files are mutually exclusive, correct? Thanks in advance!
Yes those are mutually exclusive. The screenshot is only meant to show the full set of files, but Step 1 spells this out.

Could I use the built in HDMI and feed that into the Thunderbolt display input?
Yes; please try this guide from Post #1:

View attachment 472670
OK I'll give that a go but I haven't got a HDMI to DP cable at the moment so will get back to you in a few days to let you know if it worked.
Hello @RodMuir,

You won't need a cable from HDMI to DP-IN to feed the iGPU display signal to the Thunderbolt ports. The iGPU will feed the Thunderbolt ports and the HDMI port internally. To activate the iGPU, enable it in BIOS and follow the Hackintool guide Casey pointed you to.

The DP-IN port is only needed when you want to feed a display signal from your Graphics Card to the Thunderbolt ports.

To help you better we'll need more information:
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt monitor?
  • The Thunderbolt monitor can only be connected to Thunderbolt Port 1, the port closest to HDMI.
In answer to yours questions.

Apple Thunderbolt Display, 27” (2560x1440). From the bottom of the stand, Model Number A1407. Assembled in China.
The Thunderbolt is connected to Port1 closest to the HDMI.

I'm not sure that only the Thunderbolt port closest to HDMI (upper port) can drive a Thunderbolt display ... perhaps only when using the iGPU?

Strange enough, my Apple Thunderbolt Display would only work when connected to the the lower port. I don't use the iGPU though, and route the display signal from my graphics card to Thunderbolt using the DP-IN. For details on my setup and functionality of the Apple Thunderbolt Display when connected, see my post here.

My second display seems to work OK from one of the 3 mini display outputs.
Assuming your other display is connected to your graphics card, it seems your Quadro P400 is recognized by macOS Catalina. No need to enable the iGPU in that case.

Try this:
  • Feed one of the mini-DP ports of your graphics card to the DP-IN on the Designare
  • You can use the short mini-DP to DP cable supplied with the Desginare board
  • Then connect your Apple Thunderbolt Display to the lower TB-port of the Desginare. Does it work?
  • If not try the upper TB-port. Does that work?

Last edited:
Back