Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Following the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide to install 10.14.6 was really good idea. :) Thank you, @CaseySJ!
The "end randomseed" error appears no more.
Now I am on this step:

After first reboot at this step on Clover screen I have 5 options:

1. Boot macOs Install from Install macOS Mojave (my USB stick)
2. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot (this and next are on my target SSD)
3. Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot
4. Boot macOS from Mojave
5. Boot Recovery from Recovery

There is no option like Boot macOS Install from Mojave or Boot macOS Install from Mojave - Data on my target drive. (Mojave instead of Catalina from quoted above, of course)

Does it mean, that I missed something?
Good question -- this sometimes happens. In this case, please choose option 3: Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot.

Good question -- this sometimes happens. In this case, please choose option 3: Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot.

I did that, and get this (please forgive the photo quality)

Attachments

• Aborted_returned_from_boot_efi.jpg
    Aborted_returned_from_boot_efi.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
Hi @CaseySJ I followed the instructions (kext is in download folder, WiFi name and password entered in kext, ran the commands, removed my Fenvii card from computer), but I can't get it to work. Any suggestions on how to continue? See attached screenshot for the CNVW and WiFi settings.

THIS one (on page 44) worked best for me. You do have to do a cold boot though if you dual boot into Windows, otherwise I got the same as you are showing. A cold boot fixes that though. See Page one of that thread for the commands you need to run to get it working.

I have an old Shuttle case (m-ITX) that has an H81 board in it that I've been wanting to upgrade. I took a quick look at the specs for your m-ITX and it looks like the only M.2 slot is an e-key slot for wifi, and no b-key slot or m-key slot for an SSD. is that right?
thanks!

@faithie999 The model we have i.e "Fatal1ty z370 gaming-itx/ac" does have an M.2 slot for an SSD at the back. I'm using it. The "Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX" has two slots for storage in addition to the WiFi one.

The "Z370M-ITX/ac" is a vanilla model with no Thunderbolt 3. I believe that one doesn't have an M.2 slot for an SSD.

Hello @RodMuir,

To help you better we'll need more information:
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt monitor?
  • You're using an Nvidia GPU, so are you running Sierra or High Sierra?
  • The Quadro P400 is a Pascal-based card so it should also run under Mojave and Catalina, but I have no experience with Nvidia GPUs on current versions of macOS.
  • Have you tried switching to Platform ID 0x3E9B0007?
  • The Thunderbolt monitor can only be connected to Thunderbolt Port 1, the port closest to HDMI.

Hello Casey

In answer to yours questions.

Apple Thunderbolt Display, 27” (2560x1440). From the bottom of the stand, Model Number A1407. Assembled in China.

I’ve got Catalina 10.15.4 installed.

Don't know how to switch to Platform ID 0x3E9B00007 or what I would need to do that?

The Thunderbolt is connected to Port1 closest to the HDMI.

Also there is some information on 1616 #16,168 that specified how to change the ThunderboltDROM but I can’t work out what or how to open anything here. Anyway not sure if that matters?

Hello @RodMuir,

To help you better we'll need more information:
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt monitor?
  • You're using an Nvidia GPU, so are you running Sierra or High Sierra?
  • The Quadro P400 is a Pascal-based card so it should also run under Mojave and Catalina, but I have no experience with Nvidia GPUs on current versions of macOS.
  • Have you tried switching to Platform ID 0x3E9B0007?
  • The Thunderbolt monitor can only be connected to Thunderbolt Port 1, the port closest to HDMI.

for clarity, I don’t know what architecture the P400 is, but Pascal cards do not work in Mojave and Catalina.<sobbing in gtx1080>

for clarity, I don’t know what architecture the P400 is, but pascal cards do not work in Mojave and Catalina.<sobbing in gtx1080>
Hello Casey

Could I use the built in HDMI and feed that into the Thunderbolt display input?

Hello Casey

Opps Canyondust sorry got the wrong name there.

My second display seems to work OK from one of the 3 mini display outputs.

Hello Casey

Yes; please try this guide from Post #1:

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.06.18 AM.png

Back