Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@NorthAmTransAm, my knowledge is very poor making SSDT. Can you help me with one proper ssdt for this? Captură de ecran din 2020-05-28 la 03.43.13.png
Excuse me for daring!

@NorthAmTransAm, my knowledge is very poor making SSDT. Can you help me with one proper ssdt for this?View attachment 472016
Excuse me for daring!

This is Casey's thread so I'll let him do the thing.

In the meantime, I'm assuming this is a USBC Dock? Plug it in to your Macbook if you can and snag a copy of your IOReg there to see how it loads.

@dgsga Got my hands on a used Z370 ASRock + 8700K. What NVM version are you on for the built-in AC on ASRock Z370 ITX? I'm on NVM v8 and can't seem to get TB3 working at all :( No TB3 functionality, no TB3 Tree nothing. TB3 works fine on Windows. GPIO3 Force Pwr and ACPI RMV are both set to true.

I'll post detailed logs later but wondering if my NVM version is too old.

Also, does the NVM20 update for Z390 ITX TB3 work with the Z370 ITX board?

It is the same TB chip as the Z390 itx. I suggest a full backup and then upgrade to NVM20.

This is Casey's thread so I'll let him do the thing.

In the meantime, I'm assuming this is a USBC Dock? Plug it in to your Macbook if you can and snag a copy of your IOReg there to see how it loads.

Actually it is an old firewire-usb pci card with an pci to pcie adaptor.
orangelink-firewire-usb-pci-card.jpg61TojnsDtGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• iMac - Alex.ioreg
    22.1 MB · Views: 79
Hey @CaseySJ will there be an update to post #1 heading for users upgrading to 10.15.5?
Outside of the radeonboost is there any need to knows prior to updating?
Updates to clover or can I leave clover alone and just update kexts?
All indications are that 10.15.5 is straightforward, unlike 10.15.4. As always, make a full bootable backup and perform an in-place update. It should be okay.
Also PS- now you all are making me want to build another rig based on the z490 just for the heck of it Wish someone needed one so I could build and test it just for the frustration and enjoyment.
This is like golf awesome when it’s on point and frustrating the next second haha
The mark of the enthusiast! Not everything in life has to be utilitarian; sometimes we do things just for the fun of it. However, I have to say that there's not any real innovation in Comet Lake-S so we are better off waiting for 11th Gen.

The Asus ProArt Z490 Creator looks very interesting just because it offers two DP-INs at the same $299 price point (at least in USA). But the ProArt seems to have these downsides:
  • Only one Ethernet port on the rear IO panel. The 10G port requires a PCIe card. Vision D has two on-board Ethernet ports.
  • No on-board WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5 (Intel AX201). This is a state-of-the-art controller that...
    • Is fully usable in Windows
    • Is fully usable in Linux
    • Is possible to get native macOS support with zxystd's AppleIntel WiFi driver (no guarantees on this, but at least the AppleIntelBluetooth module is farther ahead in its development)
  • Does not have built-in IO shield, which is a minor difference, but still a difference.
  • Seems to have fewer on-board ports:
    • Two NVMe slots versus three on Vision D
    • One addressable RGB header versus two on Vision D
    • One USB 2 header versus two on Vision D
    • Possibly fewer fan headers
    • Not sure if it has temperature probes (Vision D has two or three thermocouples that can be positioned anywhere within reach of the cable)

do the magic keyboard and track pad work on this?

All indications are that 10.15.5 is straightforward, unlike 10.15.4. As always, make a full bootable backup and perform an in-place update. It should be okay.

Just went thru created CCC backup
Updated current Kexts
Attempted upgrade thru system preferences
Asked to restart first, restarted and auto selected and begin the install Mac OS drive on clover boot screen.

But it seems to be just sitting at Apple logo screen now no progress bar or changes.

I def take a lot of enjoyment in it, blows my mind following the thread in a lot of the things you and others are always working on.

I’ve been looking into things and the vision D definitely caught my eye but the new 10th gens for sure haven’t been aww inspiring in comparison to what has been being released recently so hopefully the 11th gen CPU def bring some welcomed changes to what intel can do

EDIT: Seems my clover update never actually installed, so was running into boot issue due to being on older version of clover.
Updated to clover v5118.
Restarted, & auto started install successfully, progress bar and time remaining now reflecting.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
My build is as follows

Bios F9g
Z390 Designare
Sapphire Rx 580 Nitro +
Fractul R6 Blackout
Clover 5102
Catalina 10.15.2
ALL EFI FILES from the May2020 Update.

My ACPI/patched folder is attached.
My question is; can I and should I be using any of the patches from "Fractal Design Define R6 2.zip" and if yes, how should my "patched" folder be looking, because for my particular circumstance it wasn't exactly clear, i.e. "Fractul R6 Blackout" with the "May2020 update.zip" files.

I tried adding the "Fractal Design Define R6 2.zip" files to my "ACPI/patched" and writing and replacing any conflicts i.e. "SSDT-EC.aml" but then I could not boot, so as per the attached file, I am currently on the stock "May2020 update.zip" files.

Perhaps you can attach an alternate file named "May2020 update FractulR6.zip" to the "Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer Mini Guide".

Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this forum, it is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 05.53.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 05.53.25.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
@dgsga Got my hands on a used Z370 ASRock + 8700K. What NVM version are you on for the built-in AC on ASRock Z370 ITX? I'm on NVM v8 and can't seem to get TB3 working at all :( No TB3 functionality, no TB3 Tree nothing. TB3 works fine on Windows. GPIO3 Force Pwr and ACPI RMV are both set to true.

I'll post detailed logs later but wondering if my NVM version is too old.

Also, does the NVM20 update for Z390 ITX TB3 work with the Z370 ITX board?
It certainly does, as @mango1122 says it's the same chip. Just go ahead and update it using the Windows firmware updater. This little board makes for a great Hackintosh.

You can disable the RTX when you boot into macOS, via an SSDT in Clover/OC, to disable the slot. In Windows it will work fine. You could then just use the iGPU for macOS or get the RX580 if needed/wanted.

This option is viable:
  • Connect both RTX 2080 and iGPU to one or two monitors.
  • For iGPU, HDMI is limited to 4K30, but USB-C (Thunderbolt ports on the back) support DisplayPort 1.4 (4K60).
  • Then disable RTX 2080 in macOS via SSDT. It can still be used in Windows.
  • Connect iGPU using either HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort cable. USB-C to DisplayPort is preferred because (a) it does not require frame buffer patching and (b) supports 4K60.
We can help you with the steps.

Great, so I have options at least. :)

For monitors, I have a single Asus 27" 1440p 144Hz Gaming screen with both DisplayPort and HDMI inputs (switchable), and a 4K TV with HDMI 2.1.

When you say "USB-C to DisplayPort cable", would that be the USB-C connection from the internal Thunderbolt 3 port, ran out to DisplayPort of monitor? You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on Thunderbolt connections. And otherwise a regular HDMI > HDMI from iGPU to monitor/TV? (but with some extra work patching?)

Finally, is information regarding how to disable the 2080 via SSDT/Frame Buffer Patching posted in the first page of this thread, or should I be looking elsewhere for info on this? Again, sorry if I sound silly, this is my first Hackintosh since about 2008 or so when I first attempted it!

Back