Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Okay, so how is it better than NVM33? is it just reliability/stability, or are there some applications, like audio that work better? Or Video apps that work better?
Mostly reliability and stability. I’m yet to boot without my devices recognized. Minor, but positive- I use the audio out of the CalDigit Dock and the audio outputs and levels all stay the same on each boot. NVRAM should make this happen, but on NVM 33 it would lose this functionality.

Hello all,

New user here. I have a hopefully simple question relating to building a Hackintosh out of my new system.

Z390 Designare
32GB DDR4 3200
1TB Samsung EVO Plus NVMe
1TV Samsung EVO SSD SATA6
RTX 2080 Super

As I am a gamer as well as interested in Music Production (with an Apollo setup), I would ideally like to keep the RTX 2080 Super. I have done my research and it isnt compatible with OSX, so i have a few options.

-Remove 2080 and replace with something like RX 580. (and build a gaming rig separate?)
-Spend more and go with RX 5700 XT and dual boot with OSX and Windows? (but 2080 is rendered useless which is not preferable!)
-Disable 2080 via BIOS (or OSX Hack) and use onboard iGPU (harder to support Natively?)

Sorry if its been discussed in this thread already but ive done my searching to no avail on the subject.

Thank you,
Nathan.
This option is viable:
  • Connect both RTX 2080 and iGPU to one or two monitors.
  • For iGPU, HDMI is limited to 4K30, but USB-C (Thunderbolt ports on the back) support DisplayPort 1.4 (4K60).
  • Then disable RTX 2080 in macOS via SSDT. It can still be used in Windows.
  • Connect iGPU using either HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort cable. USB-C to DisplayPort is preferred because (a) it does not require frame buffer patching and (b) supports 4K60.
We can help you with the steps.

Mostly reliability and stability. I’m yet to boot without my devices recognized. Minor, but positive- I use the audio out of the CalDigit Dock and the audio outputs and levels all stay the same on each boot. NVRAM should make this happen, but on NVM 33 it would lose this functionality.

So upgrading to fm50 makes sense. I will give that a go.

Does your cold boot start the CalDigit upon boot?

I know you mentioned
Change boot support from "disabled" to "boot once".
But since I don't have that setting on my motherboard just Enable/Disable I've emailed Asus asking what's their bios setting that allows the cold boot for tb devices.

So upgrading to fm50 makes sense. I will give that a go.

Does your cold boot start the CalDigit upon boot?

I know you mentioned But since I don't have that setting on my motherboard just Enable/Disable I've emailed Asus asking what's their bios setting that allows the cold boot for tb devices.

My bios settings let me cold boot with a TB Device but I'm on a z370. I can share if it helps.

For new Z490 Vision D Buyers

Until the build guide is published, feel free to ask for a copy of the Z490 Vision D EFI folder (OpenCore 0.5.8). Your help in testing/validating the EFI folder will be helpful.

Hello,
I want to build a hackintosh. I went to to Micro Center for help, and they told me its not worth it because Apple is going to start making their own stuff. I'm so lost i need some help!! I want to build a hackintosh so bad but dont know where to start. My budget is 1500$

Thank you!
Felix

Hello,
I want to build a hackintosh i went to to micro center for help and they told me its not worth it because apple is going to start making their own stuff im so lost i need some help!! I want to build a hackintosh so bad but dont know where to start my budget is 1500$

Thank you!
Felix
Please note the following:
  • Apple supports macOS on each type of Mac for about 7 years.
  • Because iMac 19,1 was released in 2019, it means macOS for that model will continue to be supported until about 2026.
  • If you build an Intel-based Mac today, new versions of macOS will be available to you for several years.
  • Apple will not transition the entire Mac product line to their own ARM-based CPUs at once. We believe the low end systems will transition first.
  • Does anything believe that Mac Pro or iMac Pro, for example, will transition to ARM next year or even the year after? It will take some time.
Your budget of $1500 can be used to build a very very capable Hackintosh. Remember that 10th Gen Intel CPUs are cheaper now and all of them are hyper-threaded.

For example:
  • My i7-9700K has 8 cores and 8 threads (see my signature below).
  • For the same price today we can get i7-10700K, which has 8 cores and 16 threads (same as last year's i9-9900K).
  • Even the i5-10600K is a great choice.
  • My Z490 Vision D has the i5-10400 for $194. It has 6 cores and 12 threads. Check it out...
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 10.59.24 AM.png
So for $1500 you can build a really high-powered system:
  • Perhaps Z490 Vision D or ASUS Z490 Creator 10G.
    • Both are same price: $299
  • Intel Core i5-10400, i5-10600K, or i7-10700K
    • Prices range between $195 and $425
  • That leaves you with plenty of budget for a good AMD GPU, memory, SSD, cooler, power supply, case, etc.

Wow thank you so much!
I want a decent graphics card for gaming aswell what would you recommend

Back