Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please check the following:
  • System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Location Services --> enabled
  • Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments --> shikigva = 16 or 80 (remove "shiki-id" if it exists)
  • Connect to same WiFi network as other AirPlay devices
  • Login to same iCloud account as other AirPlay devices and iOS devices (for Sidecar)

hi @CaseySJ

thanks for your reply, very helpful. It works.

I found my Location services is disabled.
I also add shikigva=16.
Besides, My clover have no EmuVariableUefi-64.efi , I add it.
Then generate new serial number from scratch.

after that, it works, mirror option back,
imessage / facetime /continue/ handsoff/sidecar are working .

thanks

Although RP21 is correct, Thunderbolt Bus is not being activated. Do you have any previous Thunderbolt SSDT in CLOVER/ACPI/patched? If so, it must be moved out.
@faithie999,

If we can get the SSDT to activate Thunderbolt Bus, I have another version ready that might help with wake-from-sleep issues with Thunderbolt monitors. Keyword: might.

hi @CaseySJ

thanks for your reply, very helpful. It works.

I found my Location services is disabled.
I also add shikigva=16.
Besides, My clover have no EmuVariableUefi-64.efi , I add it.
Then generate new serial number from scratch.

after that, it works, mirror option back,
imessage / facetime /continue/ handsoff/sidecar are working .

thanks
Glad to hear it! You might get better Sidecar performance with shikigva=80.

Okay, I understand! I think the flashed Asus Thunderbolt3 EX (TB-EX 3) might only work in Asus motherboard with THB_C header cable. It also did not work for me on my Gigabyte or ASRock motherboard.

But if you flash the original firmware back to the Asus TB-EX 3, we might be able to activate Thunderbolt bus with special SSDT. But this requires (a) original DSDT.aml for your motherboard, and (b) IORegistryExplorer output with Asus TB-EX 3 installed.

I'd like to voice my opinion on the two EX3 methods. On an ASUS board, I strongly suggest using the SSDT method over flashing. Having done both, I've got equal behavior between methods. Thats all!

I wish I could contribute to the force powering issue on non ASUS motherboards. These cards are very cheap and a good way to get thunderbolt going for us budget users.

Have you also tried booting (a) without AMD GPU, (b) without Fenvi or other WiFi/BT card, (c) but with 8-pin CPU power cable connected (ATX_12V_2X4)? Were any socket pins damaged under the CPU? The Designare Z390 is one of the most popular boards for Hackintosh. If the failure rate was really that high, there would be a firestorm of complaints on the Internet.

What if the AORUS Master also fails to post? :)

Nevertheless, my Gigabyte Z490 Vision D is on pre-order. Hopefully it will be a seamless transition from Z390 to Z490 (but I'm expecting some bumps).

I tried every possible combination of power connectors including the 8-pin (ATX_12V_2X4) with, and without the extra 4-pin (ATX_12V_2X2). All those combinations tried with and without the CPU (no bent pins on MB) - which works fine in my son's machine. All those combinations tested with 1-4 sticks RAM installed in every combination of slots. Always had a fan connected to CPU_FAN. All tested without the AMD GPU and a few with the GPU.

Even connected an old beeper speaker to the F_PANEL and no Beeps at any point. Not once did any of the red CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT lights come on or even flicker.

Also tried with shorting the power pins, and the reset pins, directly in the F_PANEL in case the power switch was playing up.

The board arrived Monday afternoon and it took me until Tuesday afternoon to try every possible combination of power CPU & RAM, all without even a single spin of the fan.

It is not that I am new to building PCs either. My first home build one was a 386SX-25 with a 387 maths co-processor and a whole 1MB ram, later upgraded to 4MB courtesy of work (so I could occasionally work at home on some big SuperCalc spreadsheets). Probably build about 100 odd of them over time for myself, friends and family. I remember well the great feeling when adding a 100MB HD and running Windows 2.

I am just having an unlucky run with the Designare and only opted for the Aorus Master as it is about the only one in stock and available to order within a reasonable time frame. Amazon were again quoting 4-6 weeks for another Designare. I even considered going for the new Designare but they aren't yet available to order in the UK, some of the other Z490s are though. If it was another month or 2 down the road I would have bitten the bullet but I like at least 1 month of products being in the wild before I jump in. Any major problems are usually exposed by then.

I'll still be hanging around in this thread though as lots of useful info rears its head here.

I have a 2011 MBP that I still use. Getting a bit long in the tooth, no airdrop, latest version of Logic Pro will not run properly, etc. The GPU died the other day. Known problem. Switched it off, using builtin graphics now.

The new MBP's are ridiculously expensive, no way I can afford one.
One suggestion if you can't get a new one but still need a newer one. Check Ebay for a 2015 or even a 2013-2014 model and replace whatever apple SSD inside of it with a new NVMe SSD. The 2015 is the best one to do it with and they are going for half or less than half the price of a new one sometimes. The SSD will make it faster than when it was new and give you processor and USB 3 upgrades. I've done this with at least 3 older models and it works very well and you can run the latest system with no problems if you want.

@Elias64Fr or @CaseySJ - thought I would just try and follow up on an earlier post by @gandem....Any news on NVM 51? Just curious if any progress has been made there....

btw, my real Mac (16,1) has a TB NVM of 55.3.....

@faithie999,

If we can get the SSDT to activate Thunderbolt Bus, I have another version ready that might help with wake-from-sleep issues with Thunderbolt monitors. Keyword: might.
Before Alpine Ridge Mania hit and you had created the SSDT's and the repository of same, I had been having some success with @dgsga's original SSDT, and his instructions in post 19,995. What I wasn't able to do was to get the TB DROM properly injected via config.plist Devices--Properties. Also, at that time, you hadn't discovered that it wasn't necessary to replace GPE._INI with GPE.XINI.

So this morning I copied the section of your Aorus Pro SSDT containing the DROM and pasted into @dgsga's SSDT. I changed method _INI to PINI. Also, since he created his SSDT for a controller with just one HS and one SSP, I replaced the RHUB section with the corresponding section from your SSDT. However, I don't think that turned out right because a USB-C to USB3 dongle doesn't allow a USB stick to connect. That is not at all important to me.

It has survived one sleep/wake cycle, but before feeling good about this I want to go through several warm boots, cold boots, and sleep/wake cycles. Update later today or in the morning.

Attached are the original and modified @dgsga SSDT and IOReg output.

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-dgsga-DROM-USB.aml
    4.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Office iMac-dgsga ssdt.ioreg
    5.3 MB · Views: 70
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-dgsga-orig.aml
    4.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@CaseySJ Hello Casey .... say I am migrating my hardware to a new case and I was wondering if my current configuration will allow me to use the USB3.1C header on my Designare Z390 for additional SSD NVME I have included the picture of the SSD external drive holder and my configurations

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.29.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.29.39 PM.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.31.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.31.12 PM.png
    76 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.32.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.32.02 PM.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.32.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.32.58 PM.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 98
Hello @Joakim1337, are you unhappy with the RX 5700 XT's performance? :)

We believe that current AMD drivers in macOS are not fully optimized for rDNA architecture, but subsequent versions of macOS should provide improvements. WWDC 2020 is about a month away and we expect Apple to announce the successor to Catalina. Better graphics drivers could be included. So my recommendation for now is to wait.

Thank you for clarifying! No not unhappy, have tried this bad boy out all day and it works fine. I just had in the back of my head that there was some problems with this gpu, but that maybe only was when upgrading from Mojave to Catalina, Idk, Ive read it some where. Anyway it works great!

A new OS version makes me sweat, feel lika I just upgraded to Catalina :eek:

Back