Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Replacement motherboard has arrived, time to rebuild my HackWinLinitosh. :)
Well... I was going to buy the Designare this morning. Chalk this one up to "Snooze you lose"! Designare no longer available from Amazon or Newegg. :(

Don't believe it. If it is showing as out of stock but will allow you to backorder then try that. Mine broke 9 days ago. Amazon said they were out of stock (being replaced under guarantee) and expected delivery was mid/end June.
Every day I received an update email reducing that time. Last Friday they said expect delivery on Tuesday, and it was delivered about 1/2 hour ago. It is in an Amazon Locker so I just have to pop out shortly and pick it up. Then it is time to rebuild my HackWinLinitosh. :)

Thanks for testing this despite the odds! In my last reply to @vicantu I posted a ZIP containing two debug files. It would be helpful to copy these files as listed below. They will enable logging using the same Thunderbolt SSDT that was posted yesterday evening.
  • Replace SSDT-DTPG-V2.aml with SSDT-DTPG-V3.aml (CLOVER/ACPI/patched)
  • Copy ACPIDebug.kext to CLOVER/kexts/Other
After rebooting we can examine the logs like this: log show --last boot | grep ACPIDebug

@CaseySJ

I followed your instructions and have attached two log files - "First Boot - No TB3," then after hot plug and restart "Second Boot - With TB3."

EDIT: One other oddity I noticed. After the reboot with TB3 drive connected the System Info - Thunderbolt now shows the first three lines for the TB bus. I didn't see this prior to making today's addition of debugging files.

Attachments

• First Boot - No TB3.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Second Boot - With TB3.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the info!!! Will get in it now.

Don't believe it. If it is showing as out of stock but will allow you to backorder then try that. Mine broke 9 days ago. Amazon said they were out of stock (being replaced under guarantee) and expected delivery was mid/end June.
Every day I received an update email reducing that time. Last Friday they said expect delivery on Tuesday, and it was delivered about 1/2 hour ago. It is in an Amazon Locker so I just have to pop out shortly and pick it up. Then it is time to rebuild my HackWinLinitosh. :)

Damn! Broke? Lucky it was under warranty.

You do not have to, but you should!

Correct.

Casey, I want to thank you for your hard work and contribution to this whole Thunderbolt procedure. I was able to get my Gigabyte Titan Ridge card flashed (modified firmware) and working in my Gigabyte Designare Z390 mobo Hackintosh running Catalina. Initially I couldn't get anything to bridge pin #1 & #3 header pin together so I end up using a small piece of paperclip cut, inserted into the header connection. I had to twist the two ends in a U shape so it fits snug. Booted up the computer into Catalina (Opencore w/Windows 10 also) and the card is detected. You MUST bridge the two pins otherwise the card will NOT work.

Damn! Broke? Lucky it was under warranty.

I do not see an option for back order on Amazon. Found it on NewEgg

Casey, I want to thank you for your hard work and contribution to this whole Thunderbolt procedure. I was able to get my Gigabyte Titan Ridge card flashed (modified firmware) and working in my Gigabyte Designare Z390 mobo Hackintosh running Catalina. Initially I couldn't get anything to bridge pin #1 & #3 header pin together so I end up using a small piece of paperclip cut, inserted into the header connection. I had to twist the two ends in a U shape so it fits snug. Booted up the computer into Catalina (Opencore w/Windows 10 also) and the card is detected. You MUST bridge the two pins otherwise the card will NOT work.
Glad to hear it! I purchased this type of breadboard wire set that contains all three types of jumper wires. Also note that the pins you connected on GC-Titan Ridge are technically pins 3 and 5.

Glad to hear it! I purchased this type of breadboard wire set that contains all three types of jumper wires. Also note that the pins you connected on GC-Titan Ridge are technically pins 3 and 5.
Do I understand this correctly? In addition to the TB3 that is board mounted on the Designare, a Titan Ridge AIC is also added?

Do I understand this correctly? In addition to the TB3 that is board mounted on the Designare, a Titan Ridge AIC is also added?
If you need Thunderbolt Bus (most folks don't) on the Designare Z390, then there are at least two choices:
  • Flash the on-board Thunderbolt firmware chip or (not 'and')
  • Flash the Thunderbolt firmware on a GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card.
A third option is to use an Alpine Ridge add-in-card and activate Thunderbolt Bus using SSDT alone, although this might be the most convenient, but least functional/reliable of the three options.

Edit: Looks like I misunderstood the question. If you're asking whether this motherboard with its own on-board Thunderbolt can support an additional Thunderbolt add-in-card, then the answer is yes, absolutely it can.

Last edited:
Then it's likely that MSR 0xE2 remained unlocked. Have you checked it?

Yes, before doing the procedure to unlock the MSR I checked and it was 0x01. (The computer started with both the f3 and the f9b BIOS.)
I remember when I did it the first time, and I still had Catalina 10.15.2 or 3, without unlocking the MSR, the computer didn't start.
I don't know what to think.

Back