Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

But the cable its usb c to usb c...its not usb 3??
No, it only supports USB 2. You need to buy one that supports USB 3. CaseySJ has a link to one somewhere here but I couldn't find it.
USB-C is a bit confusing because it refers to the physical type of connector, but not to a specific data protocol. For example, a DisplayPort connector and an HDMI connector refer to the type of physical connector.
  • There is standard DisplayPort connector and Mini DisplayPort connector.
  • For HDMI there is (a) standard HDMI, (b) mini HDMI, and (c) micro HDMI.
But DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort support multiple protocols:
  • DisplayPort protocol or version 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, etc.
  • Same physical connector, but different protocols
HDMI supports multiple protocols as well:
  • HDMI 1.4, 2.0, 2.0a, 2.1, etc.
Similarly, for USB we have these physical connectors:
  • USB Type A
  • USB Type B
  • USB Type C
  • Micro USB
  • And even more
stock-vector-most-of-standart-usb-type-a-b-and-type-c-plugs-mini-micro-universal-computer-cabl...jpg

But the physical connectors by themselves do not tell us which USB protocol is supported. Just as some HDMI cables are only rated for HDMI 1.4 and others are rated for HDMI 2.0, some USB cables (regardless of "Type") are rated for USB 2 and others are rated for USB 3 Gen 1 and others are rated for USB 3 Gen 2.

The USB cable that comes with an Apple iPad Pro is this:
  • Physical connector: USB Type C
  • Data protocol supported: USB 2
So we must buy a different USB Type C cable that is specifically rated for USB 3 Gen 2, such as this one on Amazon. Edit: Or use a Thunderbolt 3 cable; all TB3 cables support USB 3.x over USB Type C.

Last edited:
Even without the beta AppleIntelBluetooth kext, macOS will natively detect the Intel Bluetooth module and attempt to use it. That's why in macOS we disable USB port HS14 so macOS won't see the Intel Bluetooth module.
Update on my issue. It seems that disabling CNVi in Windows didn't solved the problem. With the card physically removed I get Kernel Panics when shutting down the MacOS. With the card plugged in those are gone but the same problem is back. Do you want me to upload my EFI folder? Maybe I did something wrong or missed something..
I am very driven to find the solution to this. I found other persons with the same issue on other configurations but they never replied back with the solution.

Update on my issue. It seems that disabling CNVi in Windows didn't solved the problem. With the card physically removed I get Kernel Panics when shutting down the MacOS. With the card plugged in those are gone but the same problem is back. Do you want me to upload my EFI folder? Maybe I did something wrong or missed something..
I am very driven to find the solution to this. I found other persons with the same issue on other configurations but they never replied back with the solution.
Please try this:
  • Download the May-2020 ZIP files from the Catalina 10.15.4 mini-guide.
  • Then compare the following:
    • kexts in ZIP against kexts in your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
    • drivers in ZIP against drivers in your CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
    • ACPI files in ZIP against those in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Then do a page-by-page comparison in Clover Configurator by opening two files at the same time side-by-side:
    • Open your existing config.plist in one Clover Configurator window
    • Open config-AMD-GPU.plist from ZIP in another Clover Configurator window
Note any differences (except for serial numbers of course) and feel free to post those differences here.

ok thx¡¡
Alternative would be to edit your SSDT to disable SS01 port or any one of the port that you wouldn't use and enable HS08 or HS13 port to use that USB-c (USB2.0) cable that comes with iPad Pro.

I have the NUC8i3. I agree it is a real pain to pull the board out for flashing. you probably discovered that the metal housing on the back of the SD card slot interferes with one edge of the chip clip. I used a fingernail file to round off the edge of the clip until I could get a solid attachment to the chip.

I used this firmware, from the repository. View attachment 470064
in system report--PCI it shows my NUC has the JL6540 controller. if your NUC7 uses this version of AR this firmware and SSDT might be worth a shot.

my use case is for an old Seagate TB1 hard disk dock. it provides backup storage for the NUC which is my media server. I haven't been able to get TB to reconnect upon wake but I have disabled sleep for the server application so non-working wake isn't an issue for me.

@faithie999

Thanks for your suggestion. I might try it. I can always revert to Intel's firmware.

On my unpatched NUC7 Hackintool reports I have a JHL6340 chip, but I think I remember CaseySJ saying it shouldn't make a difference whether it was a JHL6340 or JHL6540.

On the NUC7 the TB chip is pretty much unobstructed once I got to the bottom of the MOBO. (Reconnecting those snap connectors on the WiFi/BT chip are my nemesis.) The initial flash was a simple single clip and download/upload of the firmware. After finding TB3 wasn't working as I would like I tried to flash back to the Intel firmware. I just couldn't get the chip recognized by the RPI 4. I tried at least 10 times with the board both powered and unpowered. I suspected the clip so I have a new one ready to try again one of these days. I will leave it disassembled this time until I decide which firmware I'm going to use.

The unpatched NUC7 is used as a music and weather station server and I don't require TB3. Unpatched I can still get TB3 connected with some gyrations if I ever need it.

Trying to get the unpatched NUC7 to have a TB3 bus via an SSDT was more an educational process, than a requirement.

Thanks again.

Please try this:
  • Download the May-2020 ZIP files from the Catalina 10.15.4 mini-guide.
  • Then compare the following:
    • kexts in ZIP against kexts in your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
    • drivers in ZIP against drivers in your CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
    • ACPI files in ZIP against those in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Then do a page-by-page comparison in Clover Configuratorby opening two files at the same time side-by-side:
    • Open your existing config.plist in one Clover Configurator window
    • Open config-AMD-GPU.plist from ZIP in another Clover Configurator window
Note any differences (except for serial numbers of course) and feel free to post those differences here.
  • In my Kext folder I have two more kexts (IntelBluetoothFirmware and IntelBluetoothInjector) and ther rest are the same with two exceptions: NVMeFix.kext and USBWakeFixup.kext are missing from my kext folder. All my kexts are at the same versions as those in the Catalina May 2020 kext folder.
  • In my Drivers folder I have FwRuntimeServices.efi instead of OpenRuntime.efi found in the Catalina May 2020 drivers folder.
  • In my ACPI folder I have SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8.aml instead of V7 and I don’t have SSDT-USBW.aml.

In the attached screenshots the red highlight is from my config.plist file and those are the only differences I found between those two config.plist files.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 19.17.50.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 19.17.50.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 19.19.10.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 19.19.10.png
    684 KB · Views: 65
USB-C is a bit confusing because it refers to the physical type of connector, but not to a specific data protocol. For example, a DisplayPort connector and an HDMI connector refer to the type of physical connector.
  • There is standard DisplayPort connector and Mini DisplayPort connector.
  • For HDMI there is (a) standard HDMI, (b) mini HDMI, and (c) micro HDMI.
But DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort support multiple protocols:
  • DisplayPort protocol or version 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, etc.
HDMI supports multiple protocols as well:
  • HDMI 1.4, 2.0, 2.0a, 2.1, etc.
Similarly, for USB we have these physical connectors:
  • USB Type A
  • USB Type B
  • USB Type C
  • Micro USB
  • And even more
View attachment 470102
But the physical connectors by themselves do not tell us which USB protocol is supported. Just as some HDMI cables are only rated for HDMI 1.4 and others are rated for HDMI 2.0, some USB cables (regardless of "Type") are rated for USB 2 and others are rated for USB 3 Gen 1 and others are rated for USB 3 Gen 2.

The USB cable that comes with an Apple iPad Pro is this:
  • Physical connector: USB Type C
  • Data protocol supported: USB 2
So we must buy a different USB Type C cable that is specifically rated for USB 3 Gen 2, such as this one on Amazon. Edit: Or use a Thunderbolt 3 cable; all TB3 cables support USB 3.x over USB Type C.
Thanks for explaining!!
One more thing. Do you think that one day the Bluetooth of the MB will work in macOS? I tested in Windows with AirPods and work great!

Hey @CaseySJ , I'm having trouble getting the Radeon Boost to work. Well...maybe it is working but I only saw at most a boost of about 10% in Geekbench and about 9% in Haven. The files are all in the right place. Though, when I disable WEG once macOS loads into Mojave, my display is not detected anymore. So I had to leave WEG on. Maybe that's why?

Video card is a Radeon VII.

Last edited:
How would I go about disabling the DP/HDMI Audio side of things in Opencore?
I'm having a problem when streaming to OBS or Ecamm etc. Have tried a lot of tricks and days to get it to work and now I think it's something to do with my GPU / iGPU layout.
The streaming freezes, been trying many things and seem to be thinking it's the AMD Radeon FE 16GB and my iGPU setup.. I have weird issues with the display loading up properly as well, black screens etc. I read somewhere in a thread and now can't find it about disabling the DP/HDMI - I don't need them so would like to try?
TIA

• In my Kext folder I have two more kexts (IntelBluetoothFirmware and IntelBluetoothInjector) and ther rest are the same with two exceptions: NVMeFix.kext and USBWakeFixup.kext are missing from my kext folder. All my kexts are at the same versions as those in the Catalina May 2020 kext folder.
  • In my Drivers folder I have FwRuntimeServices.efi instead of OpenRuntime.efi found in the Catalina May 2020 drivers folder.
  • In my ACPI folder I have SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8.aml instead of V7 and I don’t have SSDT-USBW.aml.

In the attached screenshots the red highlight is from my config.plist file and those are the only differences I found between those two config.plist files.
Last week my Test Bench lost the ability to sleep. Any attempt to put the machine to sleep or to wait for auto-sleep resulted in immediate wake. Activity Monitor revealed that a process called powerd was pegging one CPU core, and the sleep log (pmset -g log) was being constantly bombarded with log messages.

After nearly a full day of unsuccessfully trying to find and fix the root cause I decided to take my own advice and perform a completely fresh installation of Catalina and check again. My bootable backup, unfortunately, also suffered from insomnia, so it was of no help.

A fresh install took about 45 minutes to an hour, but sleep worked perfectly. I concluded that I may have inadvertently corrupted a system file while performing some Thunderbolt experiments that locked up the system and required hard boots.

With the fresh install working perfectly, I simply copied all my files manually (without using Migration Assistant) to the new disk and reinstalled (and relicensed) all my applications. That took another two hours, but after a total of about 3 hours I had a fully functional system once again. After letting it run for a day I erased the original NVMe SSD and cloned the new system back to the internal NVMe.

The moral of the story is clear:
  • When faced with an intractable problem we can either spend hours upon hours or days upon days, or -- if time is precious -- we can just do a clean new installation and be done with it.
In your case, however, we might still be able to recover the system if the macOS system itself has not been corrupted as follows:
  • Reinstall the Intel CNVi module.
  • Remove the IntelBluetooth kexts.
  • Install the standard V7 USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7) that disables HS14 and hence disabled the Intel Bluetooth module.
  • FwRuntimeServices is okay, but you may also switch to the newer OpenRuntime.
  • Definitely make the changes you identified in the Clover Configurator Boot Arguments screenshot. The differences in the ACPI section are not so critical.

Back