Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

apologies if this has already been covered – i did a bit of searching without any luck.

i decided to pick this back up and try to upgrade from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4, and am getting stuck after the first restart. i turned on verbose mode and got the attached error. this happens when i try to install for both the install on the "prebooter" and the install on the "[HDD name] – data"

i updated my kexts and tried to update bootloader but it said my OS wasn't compatible or something – i clicked install anyway but it didn't overwrite it. i'm probably doing something extremely simple wrong

the machine still boots from the original disk (as well as my backup disk)

i also noticed there is a "system volume information" folder now with my EFI when i mount it. may be irrelevant

kexts i have installed: AppleALC, IntelMausi, Lilu, Smalltreeintel82576, SMCBatteryManager, SMCLightSensor, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, USBInjectAll, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen

Attachments

• upgrade_error_v01.jpg
    upgrade_error_v01.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 40
Would the same be true if I was on Catalina, both my drives are on 10.15.3
I did notice some changes that had been made to the ACPI in comparison to my EFI on my main drive.
I think they had been modifications when changing audio layout as well.

Also Thank You again for the save and helping keep me running lol
Sorry...I can no longer keep track of posts from more than a day or so. ;) Someone else (on Mojave) was having the same problem. In your case it might have been KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM Checkboxes.

apologies if this has already been covered – i did a bit of searching without any luck.

i decided to pick this back up and try to upgrade from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4, and am getting stuck after the first restart. i turned on verbose mode and got the attached error. this happens when i try to install for both the install on the "prebooter" and the install on the "[HDD name] – data"

i updated my kexts and tried to update bootloader but it said my OS wasn't compatible or something – i clicked install anyway but it didn't overwrite it. i'm probably doing something extremely simple wrong

the machine still boots from the original disk (as well as my backup disk)

i also noticed there is a "system volume information" folder now with my EFI when i mount it. may be irrelevant

kexts i have installed: AppleALC, IntelMausi, Lilu, Smalltreeintel82576, SMCBatteryManager, SMCLightSensor, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, USBInjectAll, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen
Is your MSR 0xE2 unlocked? And you’re using “shikigva” 16 or 80?

Is your MSR 0xE2 unlocked? And you’re using “shikigva” 16 or 80?

i have KernelPM checked (if that's the setting you mean?), and i was running shikigva=32, but changed to 16 and 80 without any luck. i also went through and doublechecked my bios, made a couple of corrections but still no luck.

does it matter which installer i select in clover boot loader? if i do the prebooter one, i get the message in prebooter_error.jpg, but if i do the hdd name i get the message in hdd_error.jpg (both of these are with shikigva at 80)

Attachments

• hdd_error.jpg
    hdd_error.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 46
  • prebooter_error.jpg
    prebooter_error.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 47
Sorry...I can no longer keep track of posts from more than a day or so. ;) Someone else (on Mojave) was having the same problem. In your case it might have been KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM Checkboxes.

awesome Ill keep that in mind if any changes call for those checkboxes. And @CaseySJ let me tell you I commend you for being able to keep track of this many posts and conversations for any amount of time lmao you sir are a genius.

I can try this later this evening or tomorrow morning. Some observations:
  • If a Thunderbolt device is connected to the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 during boot, the entire card becomes disabled.
  • If computer is booted with no TB devices connected, then all is well and hot-plug gets them connected.
  • This might be specific to this motherboard. Spent some time trying to find a solution, but will try again later.

Hi Casey - were you able to test the effect of sleep wake on Thunderbolt with your OWC dock ? From before - I have noticed that the System/Thunderbolt shows 'no device device connected' after a random amount of time OR after a random amount of sleep wakes. The dock stays connected - I can use the devices connected to the dock , hot plug but strangely the System/Thunderbolt shows 'no device device connected'.

One more thing - the Thunderbolt Domain UUID is regenerated by OSX on every very reboot (SSDT method). IS there a way to hardcode it in the SSDT ? .

Last edited:
Hello, after I installed the completely new Catalina10.15.4 according to the guide, there was a sound problem (it would be no sound after playing for a period of time). After debugging for many times, I failed to solve it successfully. Could you please help me to see if there is any problem? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 58
i have KernelPM checked (if that's the setting you mean?), and i was running shikigva=32, but changed to 16 and 80 without any luck. i also went through and doublechecked my bios, made a couple of corrections but still no luck.

does it matter which installer i select in clover boot loader? if i do the prebooter one, i get the message in prebooter_error.jpg, but if i do the hdd name i get the message in hdd_error.jpg (both of these are with shikigva at 80)
Catalina 10.15.4 requires special treatment:
  • Unlock MSR 0xE2 by following this procedure.
  • Create a new EFI folder by following this procedure (don't worry, your existing serial numbers be used).

Hello, after I installed the completely new Catalina10.15.4 according to the guide, there was a sound problem (it would be no sound after playing for a period of time). After debugging for many times, I failed to solve it successfully. Could you please help me to see if there is any problem? Thank you very much.
Please describe the problem more specifically:
  • Are you using speakers built into your monitor (via HDMI or DP audio)?
  • Are you using headphone jack on rear IO panel? Or audio jack on front of the case?
  • Are you using Apple AirPlay to stream sound to a network device?
  • What do you mean by "no sound after playing for a period of time"?
    • Which application do you use for sound playback?
    • Does sound playback work every time the computer starts up, but then sound turns off after X minutes? If so, how long is X?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

Hi Casey - were you able to test the effect of sleep wake on Thunderbolt with your OWC dock ? From before - I have noticed that the System/Thunderbolt shows 'no device device connected' after a random amount of time OR after a random amount of sleep wakes. The dock stays connected - I can use the devices connected to the dock , hot plug but strangely the System/Thunderbolt shows 'no device device connected'.
I'll get back to this soon. Alpine Ridge SSDT still has several opportunities for improvement.
One more thing - the Thunderbolt Domain UUID is regenerated by OSX on every very reboot (SSDT method). IS there a way to hardcode it in the SSDT ? .
This is included in the standard Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT that accompanies the Designare build guide, as follows:

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 3.55.27 AM.png

We can simply copy and paste this into our own SSDT, but I'm not sure if there's any functional benefit to this -- have you found a reason or benefit?

Back