Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just following up with confirmation that the Raspberry Pi 1 B+ did indeed work just fine thanks to the identical GPIO pins. I was completely out of my element while doing this so I've attached a few photos that will hopefully help others. For the Y-split of the 3V3 pin I was able to get some great results by completely removing the plastic shrouds on two male pins and one female. Additionally, the SOIC8 clip I got didn't have enough spacing for the cables to be plugged in with these plastic shrouds. I ended up sawing off the plastic to expose more of the pins in order to bend them.

The process seemed to go without a hitch as shown in my Thunderbolt Bus screenshot. I unfortunately do not have many devices at the moment to test TB3 since they're at work, but I do have my DeckLink mounted in the Sonnet PCIe Breakaway box. Results here were interesting as the card works if it's powered on and plugged into the AIC Titan Ridge at boot, but hotplug does not work - it gets detected but shows up under PCI as if the drivers haven't been installed.

Thank you so much for all the research @CaseySJ and @Elias64Fr .
Good job -- very clever Y-split technique! Thanks for the detailed photos!

With flashed add-in cards we tend to get the best results after hot plugging a Thunderbolt device while macOS is running and then doing one reboot. It won't be perfect, but if the limitations are known, we can try to accommodate those limitations.

Hello @hairyconipiton @CaseySJ ... Say I have a Gigabyte Designare Z390 with an i9-9900K CPU and I would like to load in 128gb RAM .... I was looking at Part Picker which validated my previous research that the following will work on my MOBO ==> Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Now the question I have is since your picture showed a frequency of 2666 ... is that the setting I should put in even though the Ram is 3600 ? or is that just what frequency of RAM you had
With Clover 5103 and newer it would be good to try X.M.P. Profile 1 for full 3600 MHz speed. If it fails to boot or fails to remain stable, then drop the speed to 2666 MHz or 2933 MHz.

Still no dice... Is the SSDT-DESIGNARE-X299EX-NO-INTEL-WIFI.aml dependent on a specific PCI slot for the Broadcom card?
Typo in my previous post, so let me ask again (correctly): Is your config.plist renaming _DSM to XDSM? I believe KGP's build guide does this.
Tested this out, and like @NCMacGuy (post #21,017), the Alpine ridge controller is now visible as a PCI device. 'Thunderbolt' section is not populated at all, however.
Drives show up if attached during boot, but no hot-swapping.
The IOReg file indicates that the old Thunderbolt SSDT is probably still present. Any pre-existing Thunderbolt SSDT must be removed from the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. SSDT-DTPG.aml is still needed.

Also, we should boot the system with no Thunderbolt device connected, then hot plug a device.

Good job -- very clever Y-split technique! Thanks for the detailed photos!

With flashed add-in cards we tend to get the best results after hot plugging a Thunderbolt device while macOS is running and then doing one reboot. It won't be perfect, but if the limitations are known, we can try to accommodate those limitations.
Thanks!

I may do some research with the limited knowledge I have but for now I feel as if I have the maximum compatibility by having the unmodified onboard chip and the modified AIC chip since the Decklink works perfectly with the Designare's ports and your SSDT. That being said, if there is anything I can help test with, please don't hesitate to give me a shout!

In terms of TB3 devices/PCIe card testing, I'm quite limited but can take requests provided that I have access to the cards for me to stick into the breakaway box.

Last edited:
Please save and post the IOReg again (using IORegistryExplorer). Link status is not quite right. Are there 2 Thunderbolt ports on the NUC 7?
NUC 7 has only one Thunderbolt port, just like nuc8.
But we nuc7/nuc8 users shows up two ports after flashed 'NUC8i7HNKpatched.bin' which is based on 'Hades Canyon' Thunderbolt rom.

Z390 Designare is pretty much sold out everywhere online including eBay. Any other options for Thunderbolt 3 with known compatibility with UAD Apollo audio interfaces?

ACPI Removal Object Support : BIOS => Peripherals => Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
  • Default value will be Disabled; leave it as Disabled
dgsga wrote that this setting should be enabled too. That's why I opened it. Is it true, or not - I don't know, I don't have a hotplug yet.

Update: After the successfully BIOS update, turn off the computer. Once the computer starts, go to the BIOS, reset all settings and re-set all the necessary settings again.

Last edited:
• Only the Apple TB Display:

I removed the Displayport that was driving my LG Display from the RX-580. Disconnected power for 10+ seconds, and booted up. The Apple TB Display did not display the Gigabyte or Clover windows. I pressed the Return key and accepted the default Clover start selection and proceeded a "blind" boot to Catalina. At the point where the display drivers are loaded the Apple TB display showed the remaining portion of the boot progress bar and displayed the Catalina desktop.

On a Restart the Apple TB display will show the the Gibabyte and Clover screens. Sort of a workaround to get to the Gigabyte/Clover screens if needed. However, on a Shutdown and start the display does not display those screens.

A second display is useful if one needs to view both Gigabyte and Clover screens on startup.

With both the Apple and LG displays connected via Displayport one or the other will always display the Gigabyte and Clover screens.

• I just received the Apple TB3 to TB adapter and so far it acts just like the Cable Matters adapter in all respects.

Hey gang,
I'm in way over my head here, but I have successfully flashed the GB-Titan Ridge card and have an Apple TB display sort of working, but only with a cold and blind boot. I'm using an Aourus Pro Wi-fi (with the wifi disabled).
The Apple TB display is beautiful, but I can't figure out how to get the speakers, microphone and camera to work. Has anyone had success with them?

Note: the flash required the "alternate" configuration with some resistors between the Raspberry Pi and SOIC8 in order to read the chip.

This thread has been simultaneously inspiring and intimidating. Apologies in advance if I haven't found "obvious" answers or am formatting my query poorly.

Thanks to everyone for this amazing body of work.

-andy

Incidently: I'm using the Apple TB3 to TB adapter and a second monitor which is a 24" Cinema Display that came with the G5 the machine is in (picked both up at a garage sale for $40 which prompted building this, my first computer.)

Attachments

• BigPizza.ioreg
    5.4 MB · Views: 62
Do you have both macOS and Windows on this system? If so, are the Fenvi/Broadcom drivers installed in Windows? I've found that it's best not to install any Broadcom/Fenvi drivers, but to let Windows use the Intel CNVi module.

Is there any particular ailment that can be ascribed to using the Fenvi in Windows? And if so, is there a remedy (like a way to reset the card outside of 'resetting the BT module' in macOS)?

Hi,

I got myself a flasher so I can try to flash Thunderbolt 3 cards.
I have an old Asus Thunderbolt EX 3 Rev 1 card to flash.
Also I have an ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC card. Can I extract the firmware and post it here for modification?

Back