Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I'm actually a little stumped here. I've flashed back to OEM firmware on the EX3. I've got XL6F and XINI taken care of but I can't quite work out the SSDT.

Specifically the GPI0 and PEMA part. Got a minute to help?

Untouched DSDT attached.

DSDT with name changes for confirmation attached as well.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    187.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Name Changes DSDT.aml
    187.7 KB · Views: 80
@CaseySJ I think the SSDT-TbtOnPCH you have posted for the AsRock Z370 itx/ac motherboard is the one I tweaked for the Gigabyte AR AIC, not the original. The AsRock board has built-in AR and the original SSDT for it is attached in post #20707. There's so many of them flying around it's easy to get them muddled!

** Repository of Thunderbolt Bus Activation SSDTs -- Alpine Ridge Controllers Only **
EXPERIMENTAL - See "Issues"
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.

...this post under construction...
if you have a working SSDT for your board and Alpine Ridge controller, please post details​

Thats great news. Is it every likely or possible that we see this status aswell for Titan Ridge users? Software inly adaptions for Thunderbolt bus?

To owners of Apple Thunderbolt Display:

Finally, brightness control for my Apple Thunderbolt Display became fully native via F1/F2 keys with Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node activated. So, one more benefit of having it activated is improved experience of your TB devices.

No third-party apps and/or key patches needed. In the past I was never able to control brightness without display being flashing, glitching and disconnecting.

So now it all working properly with F1/F2 keys just as it would do natively on any Apple machine.

Added:
Doesn't work after unplugging/plugging the display to AR AIC or rebooting the system.
Brightness slider dissappeared from Displays settings pane.
I like new adventures! Investigation continues.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ attached is the config.plist with the ACPI renames, along with the z370itx/ac SSDT for convenience. Your call to MMRP looks very interesting as it eliminates the need for the address calculation. I'll try it out tonight on the z370 itx/ac and report back. One step closer to a generic SSDT where only the hotplug GPE will need to be adjusted.

Attachments

• TBTfiles.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
@CaseySJ I think the SSDT-TbtOnPCH you have posted for the AsRock Z370 itx/ac motherboard is the one I tweaked for the Gigabyte AR AIC, not the original. The AsRock board has built-in AR and the original SSDT for it is attached in post #20707. There's so many of them flying around it's easy to get them muddled!
@CaseySJ attached is the config.plist with the ACPI renames, along with the z370itx/ac SSDT for convenience. Your call to MMRP looks very interesting as it eliminates the need for the address calculation. I'll try it out tonight on the z370 itx/ac and report back. One step closer to a generic SSDT where only the hotplug GPE will need to be adjusted.
Very good -- repository has been updated accordingly.

I'm currently using Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard and GC-Alpine Ridge card with my Apple Thunderbolt Display.
It all worked perfectly with all functions of the display. I used old TB3HP SSDT since last summer. No problems at all.

So today I decided to try this SSDT-only approach to activate Thunderbolt Bus on my system.
It worked! I can't believe my eyes.

Once I put SSDT-TbtOnPch-ASRock-Z370-ITX-AC.aml (no changes was needed: same _E17 event and RP21 location) to CLOVER/ACPI/patched and rebooted – Thunderbolt Bus appeared in System Information under Thunderbolt section!

But unfortunately, it only happens when no device is connected to the TB card.

If I try to boot with Apple Thunderbolt Display connected before turning machine on, it will not show up.
And Thunderbolt section of System Information will say No hardware found.

So the only way to have both Thunderbolt Bus properly appear AND Apple Thunderbolt Display working is to connect the display to the GC-Alpine Ridge only AFTER you've booted the system.

@CaseySJ Just in case my information might be useful, you can add my config to repository.
Z390 Aorus Pro + GC-Alpine Ridge + Apple Thunderbolt Display.
Thunderbolt Bus appears. Display is working perfectly. But only when plugged in after system booted.

Just need to figure out what happens when I try to boot with display already connected and it will be a miracle :)
@AlexD when you click on IOTghunderboltPort@5 in the thunderbolt tree in IORegistryExplorer is it populated? If it isn't then you'll need to fix your ThunderboltDROM injection to activate it. It might fix your remaining issues...

@CaseySJ is it worth starting a separate Thunderbolt activation thread and putting all the TBT stuff in one place? There's been some amazing developments here over the last few months. I'm conscious of polluting the Designaire thread with Alpine Ridge stuff...

@dgsga I believe it is populated. Here are screenshots of its sub-tree and IOThunderboltPort@5 properties.

Attachments

• port5-properties.png
    port5-properties.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 81
  • port5-sub-tree.png
    port5-sub-tree.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 85
Back