Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node Activation
on Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Alpine Ridge Card by Software Only **

Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

Before I start messing with this my Alpine card is a GC not an Asus does that matter? or is this very specific to the Asus TB EX3?

I have not yet figured out how to determine the codes for find and replace for ACPI patching via boot loader, so I always patch my DSDT and load it via acpi/patched. I know you said that the process for that in OC is much more involved, but you may want to give it a try. in clover I don't need to drop the OEM dsdt, just specify the name of the dsdt to load. only when clover can't find a dsdt in ACPI/patched with the right name does it load the OEM dsdt (as far as I understand, anyway!). I always confirm that the patched dsdt has loaded by using MaciASL--new from ACPI--dsdt and inspect the regions that I modded.
I could see if just dropping the DSDT and loading the modified one would work, but it compiles with errors which get corrected with firmware SSDTs (processor scope stuff) so I'd rather not go there if I don't have to :)

I am still confused because I am using an AIC with a modified firmware and it works perfectly. I do not have a Designare board.
I was using the Elias64Fr NVM20 version 1 modded firmware on my GC-Alpine Ridge card, and it worked OK but wake from sleep was broken. That's why I tried the no-flash method. It seems to be working 100% including wake.
But if yours ain't broke, don't fix it! haha

I could see if just dropping the DSDT and loading the modified one would work, but it compiles with errors which get corrected with firmware SSDTs (processor scope stuff) so I'd rather not go there if I don't have to :)
I assume you've tried fixing the errors in the "virgin" DSDT. I've had a bit of luck in doing that, but now that RehabMan is no longer around I haven't found any ACPI experts to help with correcting errors. Just for fun, do you mind posting your virgin DSDT?

Thunderbolt bus does not appear in the system report, but I'll try a CMOS reset and cold boot and see what happens too. I also think my RP05._INI rename might be wrong, the hex strings I've seen in guides are way longer than what I'm using....
@CaseySJ is an ace in the find/replace rename game, so maybe he can help.

Can you post the following so we can verify some basic things?
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you get to the Thunderbolt tree. Capture a screenshot of that. (Do not use the search bar.)
  • Post your Thunderbolt SSDT. Do you also have SSDT-DTPG.aml in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder?
Hi @CaseySJ , one screenshot is with nothing connected to the TB3 port and the other two screenshoots are with a TB3 hard disk connected and disconnected.

yes, I have SSDT-DTPG.aml and attached SSDT-TbtOnPCH-Intel-NUC.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched , I modified SSDT-TbtOnPCH-Intel-NUC.aml taking as a base your SSDT-TBOLT3-RP05-PORT7-GC-ALPINE-RIDGE.aml file but I cann ot make TB3 to work.

thanks

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPCH-Intel-NUC.aml
    815 bytes · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.42.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.42.19 PM.png
    374.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.11.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.11.54 PM.png
    641.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.21.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.21.22 PM.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 58
@CaseySJ is an ace in the find/replace rename game, so maybe he can help.

I just used the one in @dgsga 's example as it's what i need; it just converts to ascii very unexpectedly, but maybe that is normal. Also I just cleared CMOS and reset the bios (thankfully I wrote down the CFG-Lock offset). Still nothing. Might be worth noting that there is no INI method for RP05 in the DSDT originally... (but our SSDT-TBTonPCH adds it?) Not sure.

I assume you've tried fixing the errors in the "virgin" dsdt. I've had a bit of luck in doing that, but now that rehabman is no longer around I haven't found any ACPI experts to help with correcting errors. just for fun, do you mind posting your virgin dsdt?
Here you are; straight from the sauce. I was wrong, they're just warnings, not errors. Technically still compiles I believe.

Attachments

• dsdt.dsl
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Here you are; straight from the sauce. I was wrong, they're just warnings, not errors. Technically still compiles I believe.
you're right. only warnings. they can be ignored.

RP05._INI is at line 7796.

credit to @CaseySJ who helped my figure out a few days ago how to find the RPxx._INI and GPE._Exx methods.

and .GPE._E23 is at line 21297

Last edited:
So, having installed Windows on the 2nd NVMe, I found dual booting well from OC 0.5.8 that the TB doesn’t play nicely with UAD on the PC side of things (i.e., old files and poor PC audio workarounds). So I’ve installed Mojave on the drive instead to hopefully run OBS without crashing. However, after install and when I now boot into Mojave, I’m getting very loud GPU fan noise. However ,main Catalina is fine.
Will I need to somehow control the Radeon Vega FE 64 for both OS’s?

Back