Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I am currently using WEG. I experimented with not using it while trying out RadeonBoost. Could not get multiple monitors working without it. That was before my TB3 monitor though. I will give that a go on my next round.
Booting with WEG off and applying black screen patch gave me similar results. Computer will not boot unless an HDMI monitor is plugged in to GPU. Then with WEG off and black screen patch applied, I got to the desktop. However, if I remove the HDMI from GPU and restart, the computer will boot, but to dead screens. I can remote in the computer and get to the desktop. Thunderbolt is active with all devices, but no monitors under graphics/displays like before.

Booting with WEG off and applying black screen patch gave me similar results. Computer will not boot unless an HDMI monitor is plugged in to GPU. Then with WEG off and black screen patch applied, I got to the desktop. However, if I remove the HDMI from GPU and restart, the computer will boot, but to dead screens. I can remote in the computer and get to the desktop. Thunderbolt is active with all devices, but no monitors under graphics/displays like before.
Does enabling or disabling CSM Support in BIOS make any difference?

I am currently using WEG. I experimented with not using it while trying out RadeonBoost. Could not get multiple monitors working without it. That was before my TB3 monitor though. I will give that a go on my next round.
Use the pike R black screen patch in clover that should give you multi monitor. Do you have DP feeding both ports on the titan?

Does enabling or disabling CSM Support in BIOS make any difference?
When CSM Support is enabled, the computer does not get past the clover screen. I can't see this of course, but the computer does not get to the desktop with black screens. CSM Support disabled, gets me into the machine, but black screens. It will not boot unless I have an HDMI plugged to GPU, so essentially a 3rd monitor.

Use the pike R black screen patch in clover that should give you multi monitor. Do you have DP feeding both ports on the titan?
Yes, I have both DP cables going from GPU to DP in's of Titan Card.

I picked up an XfX RX 5700 XT today and swapped out my two Vega 64s. Man this card is so much quieter, especially since the fans will actually spin down (off). Performance is relatively the same, but the power is less and the noise is just incomparable.

Ran GeekBench 5 prior to loading the RadeonBoost and After, see a pretty good bump in synthetic numbers.
1589067780127.png

Hello @roastable,

1. According to Wikipedia, the Raspberry Pi Model 1 B+ has the full set of GPIO pins we need (SPI pins) so you should be able to use it.

2. Flashing the firmware of GC-Titan Ridge will only enable Thunderbolt Bus on GC-Titan Ridge. Fortunately this PCIe card is easy to flash. The Designare Z390 has its own separate Thunderbolt controller and hence its own separate firmware chip for that controller. Flashing the Designare is more difficult.

Thank you! I'll go ahead with it and hopefully report back with another unit for testing!

** Micro-Guide: Disable Wake from USB (Wake only with Power Button) **
Credit: @lambusser

I was thinking this wasn't working at all for me, but apparently with this, I can still wake via USB devices plugged into my LG UltraFine 5K. Since I plug the Magic Keyboard into it, it still wakes in one key. Since I plug my iPhone into it, that wakes as well (which is what I was hoping wouldn't happen. I like to plug it in after putting the PC to sleep and before I go to sleep myself and when the phone gets power it wakes the PC.

As you can see in the first screenshot of previous post, AppleBusPowerController is missing, but bus power properties seem to be in effect.

I don't think I have ever had AppleBusPowerController under EC. I only have it under IOResources. I don't know if you need a device that charges high current to activate it, and if so, I don't know if the iPhone is. If I recall this was mainly for iPad charging.

I don't think I have ever had AppleBusPowerController under EC. I only have it under IOResources. ...
Quite right, it's under IOResources. Could have sworn it used to be under EC.

I can suggest that you remove the Kext you have that are for Laptops:
HibernationFixup
NoTouchID
SMCBatteryManagement
SMCLightSensor
--
I don't think you need the following:
AirportBrcmFixup
AppleAHCIPortHotPlug
BT4LEContinuityFixup
HWInfo
--

I have a modified version of IntelMausiEthernet and SmallTreeIntel82576, the ones you have will be just fine.

View attachment 468381

I'm using Native NVRAM (SSDT-NVRAM) which you will absolutely want to setup for (follow the Guide)
I'm also using the USB 15 Port Patch to maximize my USB ports, you can continue to use the the SSDT Map
View attachment 468383

And last you can clean up you EFI Driver folder, you really don't need all of that in that folder. It's better to run just what you need. I probably have more than what I need.

View attachment 468384

Figure I should also share my config.plist. Hopefully it helps. My system runs very stable, but please notice I run iMac Pro 1,1 And I have my iGPU disabled in BIOS.
(I removed UUID, Board SN, and system SN)

Thanks.

Q: Does your native NVRAM setup survive a CMOS reset? Mine didn't. That's I'm using "VirtualSMC.kext" and "VirtualSmc.efi" and the RC scripts.

The SSDT patch I have using the @RehabMan method is working fine for me. Thunderbolt "power-swap" for the Apollo 8 (TB 2) is also working without flashing the TB hardware on the Z390. My Z370 setup is nearly identical in software and hardware, but with an AIC for Thunderbolt, and Native NVRAM, so no RC scripts on that machine.

GB5 CPU and GPU.png

Attachments

• IPG Scalar Multi-Max.png
    IPG Scalar Multi-Max.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IPG AVX Multi-Max.png
    IPG AVX Multi-Max.png
    103 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back