Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

only this?no need to configure nothing?
That's right. If you look at Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1 you'll find many examples of Thunderbolt 2 devices that are working on this system with only a TB3-to-TB2 adapter.

That's right. If you look at Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1 you'll find many examples of Thunderbolt 2 devices that are working on this system with only a TB3-to-TB2 adapter.
Perfect guide¡¡ thx ¡¡¡¡

We have seen a few rare cases of bad Fenvi T919s, but to get two bad cards in a row is unusual, but not impossible. Suggestions:
  • Does the system boot reliably when no antennas are connected?
  • Your Windows SATA SSD will not affect this. Which SATA port is it connected to? Are you aware of the SATA port limitations when M.2 SSDs are installed in M2M and/or M2P slots?
  • Do you have another motherboard on which to install and test the Fenvi?
  • I would also consider returning the card and buying a replacement from a different retailer. Perhaps the retailer got a bad batch of cards, hence switch to a different shop.

That's a great idea. I just tried installing the T919 in my old system (from 2011) and it powered up every time. So strange.

It actually does not power on reliably with no antenna's now. So perhaps that was not as repeatable as I believed it to be.

I am also noticing that when trying to power up, if it fails, it gets to the red "CPU" light before shutting off when T919 is installed. When not installed it goes through all those lights and powers up normally. My ultimate fear is that it has something to do with motherboard/CPU and some sort of power/ground issue. Hoping that's an unfounded fear.

All good on the SATA port limitations. I went in and pre-plugged in sata cables in the SATA ports that would still be available with 2 m.2 SSDs installed (even though I still only have 1). They all seem to be working fine. I believe windows is on SATA 2 or 3.

I also ordered from a different retailer (newegg) this time due to it being out of stock on amazon. So unfortunately that's likely ruled out, too.

Another interesting thing to me is that when it's installed, the power button on the case is not very responsive. Have to either hold it in or press it a few times to get anything. Without T919, it's an instant response every time. Does that spark any ideas?

I'm just going to keep telling you how much I appreciate this help. In the end I wonder if I'll have to get a different wifi card?

@yfzmaniac,

You know, it might even be the motherboard. I hope you don't have to play musical chairs with each of the components in the system. I have four -- yes four -- Fenvi FV-T919s installed in various Z390 and X99 motherboards without even the slightest hint of a problem. If the card works in the your old 2011 system then it may time to consider that the motherboard or PSU is not good. Can you temporarily connect the PSU from your 2011 system to the Designare?

Back