Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you for always giving me a lot of information. I have upgraded Thunderbolt firmware to my X299X Designare 10G following your guide. However, after the upgrade, Thunderboltport via Displayport for monitor will not work. I was using it connected like this. Graphics card display port #1->M/B display port #1-> Thunderboltport #1->Monitor Thunderboltport
Have you checked the original display function? Is there a way to solve it?
Hello @Jaehui,

Please edit your post and remove both of the micro-guides:
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.28.28 AM.png

Regarding the connection to Thunderbolt monitor, let's see if @dolgarrenan can help. Because I do not have the X299X I cannot address the issue.

Hi CaseySJ
I have an issue with Vidoproc, when I try to convert video file, although both h264 and Hevc are active, see the screenshot when I Try to convert a video file only the cpu and the integrated video card are used, how you can see in the screenshot eve if my and RX 580 video card is detected.
I tried the How to Customize Device Names and Properties, but the result is the same, videoproc doesn’t work as as expected.
So I tried with a game to understand if the Rx580 works fine, I installed SuperTuxKart, I set all graphic settings to max, and the video card worked well, with the fan running, which does not happen with videoproc.
I’m running Catalina 10.15.4, Smbios ImacPro1.1, with the integrated video card disabled by bios, the dedicated video card is a Sapphire Rx580 Nitro, Weg and Lilu are updated at the last version.
The last thing I can try is use dummy141.kext, but in the spoiler is indicated to place the kext in Library/Extensions, and it isn’t correct in Catalina.

Do you have any ideas to solve my problem?
I read somewhere on TonyMac that VideoProc currently has an issue:
  • When both iGPU and AMD GPU are active, it uses iGPU.
  • But if you disable iGPU then VideoProc will use AMD GPU.
A future version might fix this problem.

Ok @CaseySJ. I learned a few things and have a request.

Learned:
I correlated my TB failures (still loading in IOReg but no devices would connect) to my ApplePowerBusController properties. When TB was failing the correct values from SSDT-USBX.aml were loading and vice versa. I've never had both those values and TB work, to my knowledge.

The fix? Remove those properties from my USBPorts.kext along with removing XHC3 and XHCI. As extra caution I created a new ROM and Config for my TBOLT SSDT. It's directly from an iMac 18,3. At'll do it.

Request:
Can you replace the SSDT associated with my ASUS ThunderboltEX3 with the one attached here? The ROM/Config feel more appropriate.

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3-RP21-EX3-ALPINE-RIDGE V2.aml
    2 KB · Views: 50
@dgsga: in your config.plist (by osy too) is "change _E17 to XE17 for TB hotplug". But I can't find _E17 or _E${any_digit} in my dsdt. Can you tell me where to get this?

I have the TB bus, eGPU (with eject icon!), my OWC dock is fully defined, the ioreg changes dynamically if I dock and eGPU swapping on TB-ports - everything works... but only, if computer started with connected TB-device. The final step remains...

I don't want to add noise to the discussion,
I've been poking around in this BTW and I think for Z170_UD5 TH, the GPE might be either _L61 or _L69, but I need to do the debug test to see if either of those get called on hotplug events..

I don't want to add noise to the discussion,
I've been poking around in this BTW and I think for Z170_UD5 TH, the GPE might be either _L61 or _L69, but I need to do the debug test to see if either of those get called on hotplug events..

There seems to be an easier method for finding your GPE here.

#19,995

For anyone looking passing by: Asus z370's are L6F.

There seems to be an easier method for finding your GPE here.

#19,995

For anyone looking passing by: Asus z370's are L6F.

Thanks for that... In the case of Z170_UD5 TH, (bios F22g )there is no GPE in the vacinity of the TINI method, and no _E## GPE methods at all. (they're all _L##) :)

@canyondust: we have a same MB. I have the hotplug if I boot with connected TB device only (eGPU with icon too).

Back