Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Greetings. Please excuse me -as this is my first post. I have been following and am thankful for all of your help with these builds.

issues:
  • usb-c dock to hdmi not recognized (video doesn't come on)
  • fans stop spinning after boot (rpm 0 at idle)
  • thunderbolt configuration.
please let me know if anyone can help. I would like to learn. I have successfully flashed the onboard titan ridge with a verified status - but just want to make sure that I have things right. I have attached my files. Thanks in advance, and I appreciate the hobby I revived up during lock down with this build.
Hello @djwikka,

You flashed the Thunderbolt firmware right away? :) Impressive!
  • What is the make/model of the dock?
  • AMD GPUs have "fan stop" VBIOS. This is perfectly normal. GPU fans will stay off until GPU temperature exceeds 55-60C.
  • Your Thunderbolt IOReg looks okay. Have you gone through the Thunderbolt DROM Micro Guide?

Hello @djwikka,

• What is the make/model of the dock?
  • AMD GPUs have "fan stop" VBIOS. This is perfectly normal. GPU fans will stay off until GPU temperature exceeds 55-60C.
  • Your Thunderbolt IOReg looks okay. Have you gone through the Thunderbolt DROM Micro Guide?
Yes, I think I changed the 2-9 and replaced the 5 indicated. Not sure if i needed to do more. I left off port 7 for process of elimination.

Just don't want to invest in the TB3 to TB3 adapter unless I have it all going right, and the USB-C display dongle has me thinking that my USB-C ports aren't right.

And the GPU fans and 0 messed me up. I'm unsure if it was like that before my flash.

It wasn't quite "right away". I've been spending A LOT of time trying to figure it out. At one point I almost RMA'd the board as it is new because I thought I screwed it up when the TB3 disappeared from the BIOS settings and not recognized. But, after reflashing and positioning and flipping the power combos..., and just trying everything, it magically worked. I literally bought some blank chips and was ready to start learning to solder, almost bought a rework station.... I am so close - I just want to make my Clarett Pre4 compatible. I fried a Pi in the process moving stuff around. I've learned A LOT!

Yes, I think I changed the 2-9 and replaced the 5 indicated. Not sure if i needed to do more. I left off port 7 for process of elimination.

Just dont want to invest in the tb3 to tb3 adapter unless i have it all going right and the usbC display dongle has me thinking that my usbC ports aren't right.

And the gpu fans and 0 messed me up, unsure if it was like that before my flash.
Not sure I understand...
  • Are you using a USB C-to-HDMI video cable?
  • Are you using a USB C dock that has multiple ports including an HDMI port?
    • If so, what is the make/model of the dock?
  • Why not connect your monitor directly to RX 5700 XT?
Other comments:
  • GPU fans will not spin until temperature goes above 55C.
  • To check Thunderbolt configuration in more detail feel free to post a screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt.

Not sure I understand...
  • Are you using a USB C-to-HDMI video cable?
  • Are you using a USB C dock that has multiple ports including an HDMI port?
    • If so, what is the make/model of the dock?
  • Why not connect your monitor directly to RX 5700 XT?
Other comments:
  • GPU fans will not spin until temperature goes above 55C.
  • To check Thunderbolt configuration in more detail feel free to post a screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt.

It's a GIKERSY USB-C hub. it is more just to see if the system is recognizing it via the USB-C port.

Is there a way I can change the settings for the GPU? Do I just to set idle at, say, 500RPM for comfort? :)

Attachments

• tb3sys.png
    tb3sys.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
  • noactivegpu temp.png
    noactivegpu temp.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 84
It's a GIKERSY USB-C hub. it is more just to see if the system is recognizing it via the USB-C port.
Suggestions:
  • With the USB-C hub connected, reboot the system to see if HDMI works.
  • If not, run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP05 --> DSB2 and post a screenshot of that section. The dock with all of its devices should be listed there. I'd like to see if macOS is recognizing the video chip.
Is there a way I can change the settings for the GPU? Do I just to set idle at, say, 500RPM for comfort? :)
It is possible to create a custom Soft Power Play Table but it's completely unnecessary. It's a strange feeling to see fans sitting still, but these GPUs are designed and tested to operate that way.

Suggestions:
  • With the USB-C hub connected, reboot the system to see if HDMI works.
  • If not, run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to RP05 --> DSB2 and post a screenshot of that section. The dock with all of its devices should be listed there. I'd like to see if macOS is recognizing the video chip.

It is possible to create a custom Soft Power Play Table but it's completely unnecessary. It's a strange feeling to see fans sitting still, but these GPUs are designed and tested to operate that way.
did not work, but I put a usb in - and it reads it.
after reboot, the domain uuid changed for tb3 - is that expected?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.10 PM.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.25 PM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.19.40 PM.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 69
  • tb-sys-reboot.png
    tb-sys-reboot.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 74
did not work, but I put a usb in - and it reads it.
after reboot, the domain uuid changed for tb3 - is that expected?
After connecting the USB C dock, there should be a set of devices and sub-devices under either SSP1 or SSP2 on the left side of IORegistryExplorer. But in screenshot #1 both SSP1 and SSP2 are empty.

Yes time to perform CMOS Reset. Immediately afterwards we need to:
  • Configure BIOS parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Unlock MSR 0xE2 once again.
  • Then try to boot into Mojave.

Worked perfectly, after the CMOS Reset I was able to successfully boot onto the USB and update to Catalina.

Thanks for your help !

After connecting the USB C dock, there should be a set of devices and sub-devices under either SSP1 or SSP2 on the left side of IORegistryExplorer. But in screenshot #1 both SSP1 and SSP2 are empty.
so it is not recognizing it?

Attachments

• SSP1.png
    SSP1.png
    49 KB · Views: 68
  • SSP2.png
    SSP2.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 72
Back