Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I would like to send you one more version that has _PS0, _PS3, and all other power methods just to see if sudo tbpatch list will work even for a few seconds. After that we can stop the experiment.
@CaseySJ, I was finally able to get away from work and test the V1_WITH_POWER. Unfortunately running the patch caused the system lock up.
I tried a couple of ways to run tbpatch. One was to just login as quickly as possible and execute the script, the other, I created a new script that called your and added it to LaunchDaemons so it would run as root, and run at boot. However both tests resulted in the system locking up.

Hi all. Would anyone be OK doing a quick test? (Very simple, requires no tinkering, etc.)

My specs are below. So I'm keen to speak to people that have the Vega 56. If I turn off my machine (just a simple OS shutdown, not via the plug) and then turn it on (but with my monitors off), I get 5 beeps which I previously attributed to CPU/Mobo failure (motherboard and CPU were replaced by Amazon and are brand new). However, if I turn the monitors on and turn on the machine, the system boots fine.

Is this therefore indicative of a GPU fault, as I've read the 5 beeps from the mobo could also mean the PC hasn't found a GPU?

Thanks.

Hi all. Would anyone be OK doing a quick test? (Very simple, requires no tinkering, etc.)

My specs are below. So I'm keen to speak to people that have the Vega 56. If I turn off my machine (just a simple OS shutdown, not via the plug) and then turn it on (but with my monitors off), I get 5 beeps which I previously attributed to CPU/Mobo failure (motherboard and CPU were replaced by Amazon and are brand new). However, if I turn the monitors on and turn on the machine, the system boots fine.

Is this therefore indicative of a GPU fault, as I've read the 5 beeps from the mobo could also mean the PC hasn't found a GPU?

Thanks.
In my experimentation with flashing an Alpine Ridge card to drive an Apple TB display, I discovered that 5 beeps meant, in my case, no monitor detected. this happened even when the display was connected but that's another story. I found on Gigabyte's site that 5 beeps means CPU fault, but that may be old information. Unfortunately they didn't include info on beep codes in the manual for my mobo.

@CaseySJ, I was finally able to get away from work and test the V1_WITH_POWER. Unfortunately running the patch caused the system lock up.
I tried a couple of ways to run tbpatch. One was to just login as quickly as possible and execute the script, the other, I created a new script that called your and added it to LaunchDaemons so it would run as root, and run at boot. However both tests resulted in the system locking up.
Thank you for testing. I still hope one day some new insight drops that will allow us to figure out a purely SSDT-based solution.

Has anybody been able to play a boot chime through their monitor over DisplayPort?

P.S. @CaseySJ my Watch Unlock feature miraculously works now after updating OC from 0.5.7 to 0.5.8. I was on the NDK fork, now on the main one (just to try out OpenCanopy... the scaling needs to be fixed, and the tools are all labeled 'Tool', so I'm sticking with the Builtin picker for now haha). Not sure how that could have fixed it, but good to know for the future I guess.
Oh yes, there's still room to improve the OpenCore config.plist. I'll post another version later today.
I've posted a slightly modified OpenCore 0.5.8 ZIP in the OpenCore mini-guide. No need to update. Just modify your config.plist to suit your preferences. It seems OpenCanopy labels all tools as "Tool". This will likely get fixed in a subsequent build.

what is it for ne that for ne efi can you not unlock it with that man?
I don't understand the translation, but the procedure to unlock MSR 0xE2 is different for different motherboards. The address/offset "0x5c1" will only work with Designare Z390 and perhaps some other Gigabyte Z390 boards.

To determine the correct address/offset for your system, please look at this guide:

Good -- half the battle...

Yes please uncheck those two boxes. This may not solve the kernel cache problem, but it's worth doing anyway.

A more desperate option would be to add this to Boot Arguments at least temporarily and see what happens:

-f UseKernelCache=No

So unchecked those boxes, checked if Catalina would still boot (it did), but I still have the same issue. Adding -f UseKernelCache=No didn't seem to change anything either... is it as odd as it appears to me that even with -f UseKernelCache=No, I still have issues with the kernel cache?

I don't know how power hungry the RX 580 is... I know that my system with an overclocked Vega 56 can push total system power draw to approx 500W. On the other hand, my other system with Radeon VII never even reaches 400W...

Try disabling XMP in BIOS and config.plist. Then test system stability.
Without overclocking RX580 can push total system power draw to approx 180-200W

Yesterday, max USB current for charging my phone 500 mA. Today, after a good night's rest, extra operating current 1800 mA, sleep current 2100 mA...

Why? Why?

So unchecked those boxes, checked if Catalina would still boot (it did), but I still have the same issue. Adding -f UseKernelCache=No didn't seem to change anything either... is it as odd as it appears to me that even with -f UseKernelCache=No, I still have issues with the kernel cache?

My next suggestion would be to reboot into Recovery Mode. From there run Terminal and try this:-

touch -c "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"
reboot

Just replace 'Macintosh HD' with whatever you have called your Disk. Note - it is S/L/E and not just L/E, it will bring that in as well, if/as needed.

It may take up to 5 minutes for it to rebuild the prelinkedkernel cache and reboot, just leave it to do its stuff. You won't see any progress bar or anything - possibly even disk activity but it will be working hard in the background.

This way it should rebuild the kernel cache outside of the normal read only mode of the system.

Back