Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Some very capable owners damaged their motherboards while struggling to attach the clip or read the chip. Although this should not necessarily deter people from trying, it should raise a cost/benefits analysis; perhaps something along these lines:
  • Is it time to retire a legacy Thunderbolt 1 device and replace it with Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 device instead?
  • If only a new chassis is needed -- and hard drives from old system can simply be moved over to the new chassis -- is that a fair cost compared to the potential of:
    • Damaging the Designare motherboard
    • Purchasing a Raspberry Pi (if you don't have one already)
    • Spending the time to study the guides and carrying out the procedure
Thunderbolt 1 storage arrays have not worked whether connected directly to the rear IO panel or through a dock. They have, however, worked after flashing. Please see this list.

1. As a longtime owner of a few Thunderbolt devices, I'll say this: I love my stuff and everything is working, but it was a long, long road. If you don't already own a bunch of Thunderbolt gear, don't bother. It's not worth the headache and you'll thank me later.
  2. I could easily replace the BMD MultiDock for my use by jamming 3 SATA SSDs drives into my case. (I already have a couple PCIe/M2 types in there.) If they'd come out earlier, I'd run the OS and Apps from the SATA SSD and place as many PCIe Samsung blades inside the machine as the mobo allows, including sticking them onto PCIe card adapters. The 970 changed my life.
  3. The UAD Apollo stuff sounds amazing, but if I got a "do-over" -I'd go with a PCIe card and an AES/DB25 type of breakout box, or maybe just the new SSL or RME box. I'd build a lunchbox with a couple SSL, API, or Millenia preamps –and go with a smaller footprint. And nothing beats a hardware bus compressor.
  4. I would go with an Ethernet/Dante solution, but AVB mode does not work on these hacks.

Its a Apollo Twin X Quad.

Here is my bigger concern is that the system crash's when doing a metal test and while running logic pro. I will even crash when running an OpenGL test as well. Sometimes it makes it all the way through a test but rarely.

GB used to crash my system, too. I'm using iMP 1,1 with iGPU disabled. I'm also running Clover and Mojave. No Sleep, bluetooth, wifi, and other "fun" features are off. CPU is at 4.0 GHz AVX is at 0. Tonymac-oriented kexts are loaded from the EFI. SIP and Filevault are disabled. The RX580 is switched to "Compute" mode. –Obviously, this computer is in "dad-mode" for Pro Tools.

Is you PSU only 500W? I have an idea for you to try. It involves reducing your CPU and RAM clock a bit. You may be running the system too hard. Also, avoid bus-powering USB and TB stuff whenever you can until you can buy a higher capacity PSU. The PSU was the third thing I picked out when I designed my build. It's a Seasonic 1000W Titanium one. For my power draw, it's at its most efficient operation. I love that thing. It's totally silent. Okay, look at these images. My RAM is running at 2666MHz and I've clocked my i9 9900KS down to 4 GHz for the summer. My cores all sync, but IDK if yours will. I'm not a fan of running a machine flat-out just to push benchmarks higher. You could try a turbo setting of 4.5 across all cores. I had problems with the i9 9900KS at 3.8GHz, so 4.0 GHz it is –in my case.
Turn off XMP and set your RAM to 2666 MHz.

YMMY, AYR, etc. My CPU might require less juice because it's a binned one from SL. Again, YMMV. If you make these changes in BIOS, save them to a New File, don't overwrite your old one, and don't just hit "Save and Exit" –you'll need to differentiate between the two setups. FYI, the machine may restart a couple times before the BIOS screen reappears when your make changes to the RAM speed and/or CPU clock. Give everything a careful look. Good luck. LMK what happens.

@jb007 @pastrychef @CaseySJ

Attachments

• GB5 8983.png
    GB5 8983.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 76
  • GB5 Metal.png
    GB5 Metal.png
    6 KB · Views: 80
  • GB5 OpenCL.png
    GB5 OpenCL.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 67
GB used to crash my system, too. I'm using iMP 1,1 with iGPU disabled. I'm also running Clover and Mojave. No Sleep, bluetooth, wifi, and other "fun" features are off. CPU is at 4.0 GHz AVX is at 0. Tonymac-oriented kexts are loaded from the EFI. SIP and Filevault are disabled. The RX580 is switched to "Compute" mode. –Obviously, this computer is in "dad-mode" for Pro Tools.

Is you PSU only 500W? I have an idea for you to try. It involves reducing your CPU and RAM clock a bit. You may be running the system too hard. Also, avoid bus-powering USB and TB stuff whenever you can until you can buy a higher capacity PSU. The PSU was the third thing I picked out when I designed my build. It's a Seasonic 1000W Titanium one. For my power draw, it's at its most efficient operation. I love that thing. It's totally silent. Okay, look at these images. My RAM is running at 2666MHz and I've clocked my i9 9900KS down to 4 GHz for the summer. My cores all sync, but IDK if yours will. I'm not a fan of running a machine flat-out just to push benchmarks higher. You could try a turbo setting of 4.5 across all cores. I had problems with the i9 9900KS at 3.8GHz, so 4.0 GHz it is –in my case.
Turn off XMP and set your RAM to 2666 MHz.

YMMY, AYR, etc. My CPU might require less juice because it's a binned one from SL. Again, YMMV. If you make these changes in BIOS, save them to a New File, don't overwrite your old one, and don't just hit "Save and Exit" –you'll need to differentiate between the two setups. FYI, the machine may restart a couple times before the BIOS screen reappears when your make changes to the RAM speed and/or CPU clock. Give everything a careful look. Good luck. LMK what happens.

@jb007 @pastrychef @CaseySJ
Insane =D

Hi @CaseySJ, is there an modified NVM 33 for the GC-Titan Ridge PCI card? So far I could only find the modified NVM 23 in your Post #16,393. Have I missed something there or can I also use the NVM 33, which was patched for the Deignare?

There is not a 33 for the GC-Titain Ridge but you can use the 33 for the Designare! I have not see any adverse effects and I have been using it for around 2 months.

hello can you tell fir which chip I have to bottle so that I can get thunderbold like real mac I bought a SOIC8-SOP8-Test-Clip-CH341A-Flash-BIOS-USB-Programmer-for-EEPROM-25CXX-24CXX in the appendix is the board desgigner 390 where can i find my chip? hir is still a link you can upload me the date I need to bottle many thanks also have no desire to scrap my board directly

Attachments

• ledimage.png
    ledimage.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 228
  • assets--Lg8W-aq2iVmfCu-bBef--LsFdIGw6pjVg7t4KVZ7--LsFe7iu-YYTV4fHpFDf-thunderbolt_flasher.jpg
    assets--Lg8W-aq2iVmfCu-bBef--LsFdIGw6pjVg7t4KVZ7--LsFe7iu-YYTV4fHpFDf-thunderbolt_flasher.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 222
  • assets--Lg8W-aq2iVmfCu-bBef--LsFhah3UHy-k0_003Cc--LsFiyIGBkzvCaFy3brj-thunderbolt_profiler.png
    assets--Lg8W-aq2iVmfCu-bBef--LsFhah3UHy-k0_003Cc--LsFiyIGBkzvCaFy3brj-thunderbolt_profiler.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 219
Insane =D

I don't know how power hungry the RX 580 is... I know that my system with an overclocked Vega 56 can push total system power draw to approx 500W. On the other hand, my other system with Radeon VII never even reaches 400W...

Try disabling XMP in BIOS and config.plist. Then test system stability.

Hi @CaseySJ, is there an modified NVM 33 for the GC-Titan Ridge PCI card? So far I could only find the modified NVM 23 in your Post #16,393. Have I missed something there or can I also use the NVM 33, which was patched for the Deignare?
We use NVM 33 for Designare Z390 and cross-pollinate that into the GC-Titan Ridge. Don't ask me why! That hare-brained scheme was cooked up by some true mad scientists lurking around here. :)

Last edited:
Has anybody been able to play a boot chime through their monitor over DisplayPort?

P.S. @CaseySJ my Watch Unlock feature miraculously works now after updating OC from 0.5.7 to 0.5.8. I was on the NDK fork, now on the main one (just to try out OpenCanopy... the scaling needs to be fixed, and the tools are all labeled 'Tool', so I'm sticking with the Builtin picker for now haha). Not sure how that could have fixed it, but good to know for the future I guess.
Oh yes, there's still room to improve the OpenCore config.plist. I'll post another version later today.

Back