Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey there Jim,

To be precise, did you mean "x" as in a multiplier for an earlier Twin?
Or capital X as in the Apollo Twin X? Or is it the Apollo Twin X Quad? They're all a little different and the firmware has to be updated for the latest UAD driver release. It won't show up if it's plugged into a USB-C port, yet seems to be working. It needs to get into that Thunderbolt PCI-based goodness to work right: All of the devices in the attached image require a Thunderbolt connection, not a USB-C connection. Hope this is helpful. I'm assuming nothing. I'm mostly familiar with the Apollo 8 (TB2 + dongle)...

The other issue might be that the GB5 test is dragging down the power. What's your CPU vCore at?
Its a Apollo Twin X Quad.

Here is my bigger concern is that the system crash's when doing a metal test and while running logic pro. I will even crash when running an OpenGL test as well. Sometimes it makes it all the way through a test but rarely.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 9.47.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 9.47.20 PM.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6467.jpg
    IMG_6467.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hello @hyperx136,

Good points:
  • I've posted a revised version of the 0.5.8 ZIP that removes ApfsDriverLoader from UEFI-->Drivers and instead checks-on the new APFS --> EnableJumpstart and APFS-->HideVerbose options.
  • For the sake of completeness, the new config.plist also includes a ReservedMemory section.
Have you tried the 0.5.8 NDK version of OpenCore? I'm unable to enable the GUI picker.
Hello MISTER CaseySj
Thank you again for all your work :)
Where is this zip, in the 0.5.8 ZIP I have downloaded from the mini guide I've not these good points !?

Now you know why we stopped working on the SSDT... :( We were never able to overcome the problem of 20 seconds to extinction...or even less than 20 seconds in some cases!
I can certainly see that now. It's a very odd behavior to be sure.

@CaseySJ -Can "Instruments" from Xcode be used to measure changes in the system along a timeline, giving clues as to how problematic drivers are interacting (conflicting, really) with the OS environment? I can run a "recording" sequence in Xcode/Instruments, but IDK how to read the data. I think I suggested this a year ago in relation to measuring Thunderbolt interactions. Again, IDK what I'm doing with this tool...
To get useful information from Instruments, I believe it's necessary to build the project for Profiling/Testing instead of Release or Debug. It is possible to attach running processes to Instruments, but that usually provides very limited information. Any seasoned Xcode developers want to jump in here?

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 5.40.26 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ,

I removed the HS11/HS12 and rebooted and it still wakes immediately from sleep. I've pulled another 3 or 4 USB connections and it is still doing the same. Here's the log:

2020-05-04 21:05:01.299382-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI CNVW
2020-05-04 21:05:01.299383-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI CNVW
2020-05-04 21:05:09.448636-0700 localhost powerd[76]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>"
2020-05-04 21:05:09.961199-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)
2020-05-04 21:05:10.129843-0700 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

Any idea what could be waking it immediately after it goes to sleep?

Thanks!

Lam
Please try this:
  • Undo the changes (i.e. re-enable the USB ports).
  • Physically disconnect the Corsair device(s) from USB header.
  • Reboot.
  • Check if sleep works.

Its a Apollo Twin X Quad.

Here is my bigger concern is that the system crash's when doing a metal test and while running logic pro. I will even crash when running an OpenGL test as well. Sometimes it makes it all the way through a test but rarely.
If these crashes happen even with Apollo disconnected, then the two are not related. The power supply unit (old 500W) could be the problem...

Hello MISTER CaseySj
Thank you again for all your work :)
Where is this zip, in the 0.5.8 ZIP I have downloaded from the mini guide I've not these good points !?
The file was updated yesterday evening (Pacific Time) with all of those changes. Note that I did not delete some of the EFI drivers. Instead I removed their references from config.plist, which means those drivers will not load.

I can certainly see that now. It's a very odd behavior to be sure.
I would like to send you one more version that has _PS0, _PS3, and all other power methods just to see if sudo tbpatch list will work even for a few seconds. After that we can stop the experiment.

Back