Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Another day, and I'm ready for another experiment.

Thank you all @genzai, @CaseySJ, and @SuDoDmz for your ideas and suggestions!

I prefer soldering over using a pen with conductive ink. A soldered connection seems way more solid and much easier to undo than a conductive ink connection. My friend that has a soldering station will help me out tonight to bridge the connections where the resistors once were.

So tonight I might either break something (and work my way up to master of disaster), or actually fix my Designare.
The new Designare board arrived in the mail today, so if soldering fixes my current board I can return the new one. If my soldering and fixing attempt breaks my current Designare tonight, I'll be up-and-running again tomorrow with the new board.

Will keep you posted on results.

PS (off-topic) ... We might have found a concept for a new TV show here ... Master of Repair and/or Master of Disaster, in the line of many shows like Master Chef etc ;)

I don't want to encourage mischievous behaviour, but if I were you, I'd return the bad board :twisted:

It's official...

What did I tell ya? Nooo dual DP-In for us (again). The Vision(s) look nice though

I don't want to encourage mischievous behaviour, but if I were you, I'd return the bad board :twisted:
@iRamon

Please don't do that. You knew the risks. The damage, though unintentional, is not covered by warranty. Returning it would be a willful act of fraud.

Have it soldered by your friend and see what happens.

@CaseySJ New Mainboards are basically same stuff we already have. I think I withhold and wait for DDR5 to make an appearance. Not as excited, as I thought I'd be. Think next projects going to be an mITX, something space-saving.

@CaseySJ New Mainboards are basically same stuff we already have. I think I withhold and wait for DDR5 to make an appearance. Not as excited, as I thought I'd be. Think next projects going to be an mITX, something space-saving.
Agree with you on both points actually:
  • New boards are not compelling for Coffee Lake owners. But new users do get a good deal:
    • Hyper-threading across the board.
    • New i7 CPUs with 8 cores / 16 threads (as old i9-9900).
    • New i9 CPUs with 10 cores / 20 threads.
    • Additional headers on board, 3 NVMe slots, faster WiFi/BT (hopefully experimental Intel drivers will get better soon).
  • I've been thinking of building a Z490 ITX system in an NZXT H1...

That is basically THEFT/FRAUD. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want anybody stealing from or defrauding you. :(

Agree with you on both points actually:
  • New boards are not compelling for Coffee Lake owners. But new users do get a good deal:
    • Hyper-threading across the board.
    • New i7 CPUs with 8 cores / 16 threads (as old i9-9900).
    • New i9 CPUs with 10 cores / 20 threads.
    • Additional headers on board, 3 NVMe slots, faster WiFi/BT (hopefully experimental Intel drivers will get better soon).
  • I've been thinking of building a Z490 ITX system in an NZXT H1...

Have most of that stuff already (perks of going high-end :lol: ) and remember there was a rumor that Rocket Lake will go down to 8C/16T again.

I thought of the 'new' Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE, but I'm always going for the E-ATX, so it's kinda hard to realise.

Fixed an error in that post. The property name should be AAPL,model instead of just 'model'.

ok:)...It seems like model is fine...So them my input in device
properties should be correct...do you have any other idea perhaps?

Edit: Video Proc doesnt support AMD HW Acceleration at the moment...So not a problem, a missing feature...Was stated here:
Video Proc no AMD support at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
@SuDoDmz , @CaseySJ
Thanks for the quick replies earlier and have split some wires this afternoon.. all ready, just..

Am I right in thinking with step 6 below I'll flash the firmware with it's own 'backup' file created?
Or is there a specific firmware I need to download?

Step 6: Program the Modified Firmware into SPI Flash ROM
  • Finally we are ready to program the chip with the modified firmware.
  • Locate the firmware file and use the following command:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w Name_Of_Modified_Firmware.bin

Also, will Radeon v1-4+Vega kext be okay with a 16gb card as there is only 8gb mentioned in the aml file?

TIA

Please don't do that. You knew the risks. The damage, though unintentional, is not covered by warranty. Returning it would be a willful act of fraud.

Have it soldered by your friend and see what happens.
I'm with @CaseySJ on this one ... I knew the risks and caused the damage to my board myself. I take responsibility (mine and others') quite seriously and won't let someone else pay for the consequences of my own actions.

@SuDoDmz , @CaseySJ
Thanks for the quick replies earlier and have split some wires this afternoon.. all ready, just..

Am I right in thinking with step 6 below I'll flash the firmware with it's own 'backup' file created?
Or is there a specific firmware I need to download?

Step 6: Program the Modified Firmware into SPI Flash ROM
  • Finally we are ready to program the chip with the modified firmware.
  • Locate the firmware file and use the following command:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w Name_Of_Modified_Firmware.bin

Also, will Radeon v1-4+Vega kext be okay with a 16gb card as there is only 8gb mentioned in the aml file?

TIA
Hello @ziggenpuss, don't flash the backup of the original firmware. But do keep that backup if you ever need to revert to the original firmware. Hope you don't have to.

You can find the right modified firmware in Casey's repository here.

A 16GB card with that SSDT file should be fine.

Back