Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You should definitely go with resoldering (if you ask me). Simple reason(s):
1. you consider buying a new mainboard anyway, so why not fix it?
2. More experimenting :twisted: (means more learning)
3. Price for components such as these are mere cents.
And you would need a good pair of tweezers and an even better magnifier :lol: Or a member here could help us out, but definitely worth trying. Would be pity to throw such a good board away, just because three components worth a few cents are missing.
Glad there is some rhyme and reason to this issue. Good job damaging your board :p
That said, the missing parts are "just" resisters and there is a pretty good chance the board will work fine by simply bridging the space between the missing resisters with a conductive ink /solder pen. should be able to get that for like $10.
g\
EDIT- get a crabon based pen since it has some resistance anyway
Last night after @SuDoDmz cracked the mystery, I ordered a new board right away and it should be arriving tomorrow.
I'm loving the experimental side, but it has been just about the only thing I've been doing for the last week or so.

I might try soldering my board the quick-and-dirty way as suggested by @genzai. A friend that lives nearby is into electronic projects and I believe he has a proper soldering station ... if so, he just might be the right guy to fix it the proper way for me, with replacing the correct resistors.

Kind words, really, buuut...
...have whacked some components myself, back in the day. That tiny stuff really isn't robust, at all. You could take those down with your fingernail. I think these are the reasons, why I noticed :)
Damn, you cracked my secret how the components went AWAL as well ;) Although I think it was the SOIC8-clip doing the whacking in my case.
If it means anything ... your unfortunate experience back in the day was very helpful for me.

Thanks guys!

Hello

I would like to connect a NZXT KRAKEN X62 USB port on Motherbord z390 aorus pro wifi but all USB ports are used as follows:

1- fenvi T919 wifi card in F_USB2

2- GC-TITAN RIDGE in F_USB1

3- Where to connect Nzxt kraken x62 on my motherboard ?????

If the cable shown in the attached picture works, can you please send me the purchase link from amazon? and If there is another way, tell me about it Thank you very much and appreciation
Hello @Olass
You would need a USB splitter cable. Casey has listed them including amazon links in the first post, in the section Components New.
Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 12.43.44.png

Bonus tip
After you've hooked up your Kraken X62 to USB using the splitter, have a look at these tips to Monitor and Control NZXT Kraken All-in-One Coolers in macOS.

Hello

I would like to connect a NZXT KRAKEN X62 USB port on Motherbord z390 aorus pro wifi but all USB ports are used as follows:

1- fenvi T919 wifi card in F_USB2

2- GC-TITAN RIDGE in F_USB1

3- Where to connect Nzxt kraken x62 on my motherboard ?????

If the cable shown in the attached picture works, can you please send me the purchase link from amazon? and If there is another way, tell me about it Thank you very much and appreciation

I use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aqua-Compu...Hub-schwarz-/293205713027?hash=item44446c2083

hi,

i realized that when i ran the acceleration test on video proc,the avg. gfx value jumps correctly to 1.2 ghz but it doesnt go down after. It stays on 1.2 ghz. When i send the machine to sleep after wake up theavg. gfx goes down to zero and when i rerun the acceleration testit goes up to 1.2 ghz and afterwards as well done to zero but at first bootor after restart it behaves on full 1.2ghz and doesnt go down. Do you have the same behaviour? As i see from your printscreens iramon probably yes...
Hello @Rulebreaker01,
I did notice GFX AVG stayed at 1.2 GHz even after the hardware acceleration test had completed. This is visible in the screenshot I posted. However, shortly after taking that screenshot the iGFX frequency went back to 0.

I'm not experiencing that the iGFX frequency stays at 1.2 GHz after reboot or wake from sleep.

EDIT:
Also, when I run a new hardware acceleration test, GFX AVG goes up to 1.2 GHz, but drops down to 0 immediately after completion:
Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 13.17.42.png

Last edited:
You should definitely go with resoldering (if you ask me). Simple reason(s):
1. you consider buying a new mainboard anyway, so why not fix it?
2. More experimenting :twisted: (means more learning)
3. Price for components such as these are mere cents.
And you would need a good pair of tweezers and an even better magnifier :lol: Or a member here could help us out, but definitely worth trying. Would be pity to throw such a good board away, just because three components worth a few cents are missing.
I was thinking the same thing. but--how would one find out what those SMD components are and their values? they are likely to be resistors.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. but--how would one find out what those SMD components are and their values? they are likely capacitors and/or resistors.
With a multimeter, measuring the resistance on a board that still has those resistors.
For capacitors I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does!

I might try soldering my board the quick-and-dirty way as suggested by @genzai. A friend that lives nearby is into electronic projects and I believe he has a proper soldering station ... if so, he just might be the right guy to fix it the proper way for me, with replacing the correct resistors.
Perhaps something like this might work:

When we program the device with Raspberry Pi we typically don't attach resistors to Pin 7 so the idea of bridging those missing components has merit.

Thank you very much, man! What port you use and what position? I have Alpine Ridge flashed and it is working perfectly (thanks to CaseySJ and you all).
I have a 4K monitor hooked to a Caldigit TS3 Plus dock via DP and I have an HD monitor connected via HDMI of GPU.

Hello @Rulebreaker01,
I did notice GFX AVG stayed at 1.2 GHz even after the hardware acceleration test had completed. This is visible in the screenshot I posted. However, shortly after taking that screenshot the iGFX frequency went back to 0.

I'm not experiencing that the iGFX frequency stays at 1.2 GHz after reboot or wake from sleep.

EDIT:
Also, when I run a new hardware acceleration test, GFX AVG goes up to 1.2 GHz, but drops down to 0 immediately after completion:
View attachment 465829

@CaseySJ Any Idea why my graphics load of igpu doesnt go down after the hardware acceleration test?

I am among those for whom sleep/wake was already working well, but I tried this out anyway to see if it would fix my Apple Watch unlock issue. Unfortunately, it did not. My issue seems to be that the system times out somehow after waking up, so I'm just presented with the login screen after pressing a key/tapping the trackpad. If I interrupt an automatic or forced sleep command (click before the machine actually shuts its fans off etc) then the screen immediately wakes back up and Apple Watch unlock occurs as it should.

At least other person is also having this issue:

Any ideas?
Please see the indicated link from the spoiler in Post #1:
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 4.22.11 AM.png

Back