Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D is indeed the next 'Designare'.
For appearance's sake, there's not much of a difference and has only one DP-in port.

Attachments

• Vision-D(designare).jpg
    Vision-D(designare).jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Vision-G.jpg
    Vision-G.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 128
Hi @CaseySJ! I'm on Catalina 10.15.4 with a RX590 (fresh setup a few weeks ago following the mini-guide) and just ordered a Sapphire RX5700 XT Nitro+SE for upgrading, do I need to use agdpmod=pikera setting with the new card for Clover in 10.15.4? And another question: Is it "safe" to update Clover from 5107 to the new 5114? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the info. I too had a 2008 Mac Pro (2008 till 2014) then a 2010 Mac Pro until this year, when I built this machine. It's the best computer I have ever had.

My only ongoing issue is that Logic Pro crashes immediately on startup, it's no biggy as I don't use it anymore - but might need it for the occasional client project. I've removed all the plug ins, plugin database, trashed Logic preferences, and it still crashes hard before starting up.

My minty fresh bootable back up is fine with Logic Pro.
Hey @Chevron I know someone else who had Logic Pro X crash on startup on his build. Did you happen to work at a large recording studio in Bermondsey, London? I am sure you have tried all the things here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260 The fact it is working fine on your backup suggests that it is something conflicting or got corrupted on your main system as the hardware and clover config will be identical.

I'm also an audio user almost exclusively Pro Tools but also have Logic Pro just to be able to export out any projects I am sent. My system is on the latest Mojave, with all the app and security updates applied, and I just checked again for the first time in months and Logic opened fine so again I am sure it isn't a hackintosh related issue. I have a mate who uses a MacBook pro and he had to downgrade back to version 10.4.4 because of startup crashes after updating.

Going back to your initial post, you totally could "freeze" your system as it is and run it for years, but personally as someone who has been mixing exclusively off hackintosh builds for a decade now I always try and keep updated with the technical developments in the community. Whether that is the boot loaders, kexts, hardware compatibility etc.

The beauty of having a completely self built modular computer is you can swap and change out any part you like without the expense of a whole new computer. Only recently thanks to this thread I have added full thunderbolt 3 with a flashed add in card to my computer which I never thought would be possible. My motherboard received a BIOS update last year to make it compatible with 9th generation CPUs so I was able to easily swap over an 8700k for the 9900ks. So keeping yourself, if not necessary your machine up to date on what is happening for your hardware can be really worth a bit of reading up every week. I see for the Designare users only in the past few days there is now a way to make the native wifi and bluetooth work!

Clover and open core are under constant development as well as the kexts that power our machines so I do try and keep them up to date myself. I got stung a few times in the past falling the 'update to the latest clover' on some guides without realising that some serious stuff underneath had been changed so the config.plist needed to be updated. Now I try and keep all that side of things as up to date as possible, while still making sure it is Mojave compatible as I will remain on this system for a while yet for plugin and audio interface compatibility. What it does mean though, having already corrected as much as possible in terms of SSDT, configs, kexts etc that when the time does come to move up to a new macOS I shouldn't be faced with a mass of troubleshooting, or worse yet a complete reinstall nightmare with plugin and software authorisations!

@CaseySJ

So I have restored my dual monitor setup by going back to un-modified NVM 23 on GC-Titan Ridge. While I haven't tested this, I believe I could go back to un-modified NVM 43 or 50 and still have dual monitor support. I have read that Clover has had issues over the last few releases, I was on 5108, I have since updated to 5114. No issues booting on either one.
Some questions:
You mentioned having a newer NVM 50 release that you were getting better results with. Is that something I can try?
Have you tried flashing the Designare NVM 33 to your GC-Titan Ridge?
Have you been able to pass 2 monitors over your TR card?

What I keep going back to is I don't understand why the patched firmware would affect running monitors directly off the GPU? I feel like I'm missing something.

Sorry for many questions. :banghead:
Sure, please try the modified NVM 50 for GC-Titan Ridge attached here. Because I don't currently own Thunderbolt monitors, I cannot say whether this will work.

Attachments

• GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM50-Elias64Fr-14B.bin.zip
    276.3 KB · Views: 103
Sorry, I know it is in this megathread somewhere, but what pins are you connecting on the TB cable if no header on the motherboard? Was it 3+5? How are the pins being numbered? Thanks!

Yes, system audio was spotty, and only worked at low sample rates. Daisy chaining was also spotty and while hot plug seemed to work in terms of connecting the interface to the comp, audio wouldn’t work properly. On the fly sample rate changing worked but resulted in massive audio distortion. The only sample rate that did work was 44.1khz, I think because thats sort of the default rate that most things would use anyway. Occasionally channel mapping was screwy and generally unusable. The IO tree before the update had the UAD driver on a completely different section than the TB controller, and the TB controller was not recognized in System Info. It was like the computer could see the device and the driver knew what to do, but they weren’t speaking the same language in terms of syntax, ie bussing.

With the firmware update, all of these aforementioned issues seem to have been solved. Of note, turning on the device on the end of the chain, waiting for it to initialize, and so on down to booting the computer seems to be the way to go, although hot plugging does also seem to be functional once everything has been booted properly once (see note at bottom). The UAD hardware reset was necessary, having the TB cables unplugged while doing it. I did not have to do the whole “unplug all power, disconnect all cables, let it sit for ten minutes” thing described elsewhere, which frankly i think is a load of hooey,lol. Just make sure the TB cables are unplugged when resetting and turn the devices on from last to first, and then the comp PSU (because the TB controller is powered without the comp being booted). I can’t think of anything else, but if anyone has any questions with regard to getting a UAD device working I’d be happy to help!

Note: HotPlugging seems to advance the ch count in Console by 2 every time, ie 1-2 becomes 3-4 and so on with each hotplug reinstatement of the audio session.
@smashdownbabylon hi, just wondered how your getting on with the UAD? I've got the Apollo 8 TB2/3 - Quad satellite TB2 and an 8Core PCie.. I've had a more stable OS and Hack in the past - however after updating last year to newer OS and Clover updates etc I've been having a few niggles with the Apollo not being recognised, audio stuttering once or twice.. Hotplug now and then.. So I thought it may have been the updates I'd done etc. and have been trying to find a new solution, Opencore was one recent 'project', now looking to flash the onboard TB via the Pi route.. after just reading over your post I'm even more optimistic.

Sure, please try the modified NVM 50 for GC-Titan Ridge attached here. Because I don't currently own Thunderbolt monitors, I cannot say whether this will work.

Is this a new firmware for GC-Titan or is this a firmware from different Titan?

Hi guys, sorry for disturbing you
I am a beginner, I would like to update Clover versions from 4 to 5.
I find the Mini Guide where there is written to run "Clover 5xxx .pkg installer"
My question is probably silly, but where can I find this ? I have to download ?
Thank you very much for your helping

By the way I have a problem with sound. When I am seeing a video (YouTube or by using VLC), the sound lost synchronization with the video by stoping few seconds. Do you know where the problem could come from ?

Have a good day :)

Back