Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

3 months in with my Hack and I have to say all is working very well. Massive thanks again to Casey et al for their continuing, and most excellent work here.

Since getting the system together, the only thing I have done is to replace the "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi" driver with the 2 mentioned in the update within this thread.

What are the advisable steps to maintaining my hack for the next year or two? I think I will likely stick with Mojave 10.4.6.

Do I need to update Clover? I've switched off automatic OS updates

Could I in theory, leave my system as-is for the foreseeable? I will likely only update applications like Cubase, Pro Tools, plugins etc. but not much else.

I am on 10.14.6. I use my hack as a DAW and for photo editing mostly. It works well. I will not update until forced to.
I have an extra test SSD with Catalina. It works OK, but I don't see a feature that I really need, and the software that I use on daily base doesn't run any better.
It's different for people that are into hackintoshing because they like a challenge, then part of the fun is probably living on the bleeding edge with the latest macOS.

I like to tinker with computers, but I first and foremost need an affordable and powerful machine that reliably runs my favorite soft- and hardware.

I noticed now that a number of Handoff functions are not working on my Test Bench:
  • Unlock with Apple Watch
  • Apple Pay
  • Sidecar
  • Continuity Camera
Booting from a pre-supplemental update backup of 10.15.4 also has the same issue. Will check these functions on my main system shortly.

In your case, please try setting shikigva=80 in Clover Configurator --> Boot --> Arguments. Then reboot and try Sidecar again.
** Update: Fixing Handoff, Unlock w/Apple Watch, Continuity Camera **

It's all working 100% now -- even Continuity Camera is back! What did I do?
  • Shutdown iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch
  • Restart iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch
  • Log out of iCloud on iPad
    • When iOS asked if I wanted to delete local copies of various items I said yes
    • Everything was on iCloud anyway
  • Log out of iCloud on iPhone
    • When iOS asked if I wanted to delete local copies of various items I said yes
  • Log back into iCloud on iPad
  • Log back into iCloud on iPhone
  • Then un-pair Apple Watch using iPhone, and re-pair the Watch.
Then on Hackintosh:
  • Logout of iCloud
    • When macOS asked if I wanted to delete local copies of various items I said yes
  • Reboot
  • Log back into iCloud
  • Then shutdown, remove power plug, wait full 5 minutes.
    • You may not need to wait so long... I was just doing other things...
  • Reconnect and power up.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I actually removed the card and reinstalled it a couple of days ago including the usb cable and it's still about the same. Works fine if I move the mouse closer to the machine, but at a distance, it's not good at all. Thanks.
Have you tried using an outboard antenna such as this?

Is it possible you provided the wrong file for my R6 Define case with USB-C in the front?

My iPad Pro still gets power from the front, but now it doesn't recognize the iPad anymore (data).

From your start-post, the following files are normally included when you have a R6 define case:

View attachment 464024

So, I think I need to add HS14 to "SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml" instead of added HS14 to "SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml" (which then will be V4 of course).

Is this correct?
You didn't mention which of the two SSDTs you are using so I assumed you were using the normal one: SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3. Simply un-comment the HS14 lines in the dsl version and save it as type ACPI Machine Languae (aml). This is done using MaciASL, which is available from the acidanthera GitHub site.

Great question. Z490 is rumored to support PCIe 4.0 so it will certainly be interesting to wait for the release. If there's a Gigabyte Z490 Designare -- hopefully with two DP-In ports -- then it may be too tempting to pass up!

Here's an excerpt from an article published yesterday on AnandTech.com. Where's the Designare? Is it the Vision D? "D" as in "D"esignare?
View attachment 463818

that pricing looks horrible but somehow possible...The 10900K is taking a lot of wattage compared already a lot to 9900k and they added two more cores still in 14nm, so they need to put good vrms into it and good components but anyway the prices are huge, lets see what we get for it...

@CaseySJ

Quick update on Handoff and sleep. Unfortunately sleep still eludes the machine, even with disabling proximity wake and tcpkeepalive. Disabling handoff in system preferences, general, makes sleep work perfectly FYI.

I did notice one thing however. Sometimes sleep does work, however the one time it absolutely doesn’t work is if the pc is asleep, and I tap the mouse or keyboard to wake it, but don’t enter a password when it wakes. At that point the display will turn off after 2 mins and the pc will remain awake for hours. However, eventually if I tap in my password, do some stuff every now and then, the pc does sometimes fall asleep (but for the most part it doesn’t, and looking at pmset it blames handoff as the preventidlesleep reason).

Just pointing this out if it helps, although it could mean complete rubbish! If you have any ideas please let me know. I’m thinking of reinstalling one more time as I honestly don’t remember this being a problem last time. If it still has a problem then, I’ll just turn off handoff for now and wait till the intel drivers mature a bit (fingers crossed).
If the computer wakes up to perform maintenance tasks, that should be okay. Do you suspect the computer is waking up for no reason at all?

Currently, it is set to 0x3E980003
I just remembered that Logic Pro has a known problem. There are many complaints apparently on their website. So it may be necessary to wait for a bug fix update.

You didn't mention which of the two SSDTs you are using so I assumed you were using the normal one: SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3. Simply un-comment the HS14 lines in the dsl version and save it as type ACPI Machine Languae (aml). This is done using MaciASL, which is available from the acidanthera GitHub site.

Thanks! This will take me an evening or so to figure it out haha, but I will try!

One addition to my Bluetooth findings. My Bluetooth works indeed. One piece of advice; my AirPods didn't work when trying to connect them to the device. When I connected the antenna of the Z390 that came along with the MoBo, it worked! So I really suggest connecting the antenna to the MoBo.

IMG_7843.JPG

Ok¡i tested in windows and i transfered files more 500gb in diferent hdd and i have error¡¡¡Now i testing the @P1LGRIM method...
Do you think the MB is broken?or what hardware?
That's good! And not good!
  • Because the same disk-eject or other disk error occurs even in Windows, the problem may be hardware related.
  • It could be something as simple as an assembly issue, such as:
    • Loose or bad SATA cables. Try replacing the SATA power and SATA data cables.
    • Bad USB cables. If your drives are all USB, check/replace USB cables.
  • Are there lots of devices connected to the same power circuit as the Hackintosh?
    • Try disconnecting any small appliances from the same electrical circuit such as:
      • Personal space heaters
      • Laser printers
      • Toasters!
      • Anything that uses a lot of power
  • Do you have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? If so, connect the Hackintosh into it.
    • Every single computer in my home is connected to a UPS.
    • I have five 1500W UPS units (for other things as well), two 1350W UPS units, three 1100W UPS units, and a couple of 750W UPS units to protect sensitive electronics, home security system, OLED TVs, WiFi routers (two mesh units), etc.

Back