Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Where can I disable IGPU in the BIOS? I can't find it. Thanks.
I don't recommend disabling IGPU unless absolutely necessary. If you must disable it, the setting is located here:
  • BIOS F4 through F7
    • Chipset --> Internal Graphics
  • BIOS F8 and F9b
    • Settings --> Internal Graphics

Thank you very much for the answer. I discovered now the extra mile section in the first post to enable iMovie on Mojave. I'm reading it now.

@CaseySJ
Just out of curiosity, are you going to upgrade your PC when Intel 10th gen CPU/Z490 come out?
I bought the current PC components purely based on this amazing guide and your knowledge.

I’ve updated to Clover r5113. It’s working just fine.

Does this work with older themes? I prefer the one I am using now rather than the new default, which is just horrid.

1) I attached a screenshot of my BIOS settings

2) I followed the guide and tried the two SSDT patches (using OpenCore). But I assumed that the TB tree should be visible if activated - no matter if the patched are there or not?

3) I tried flashing back the original firmware and boot into macOS to be able to show you the ioreg with an attached device but I get a kernel panic (page fault) now for some reason - could be the RX580 drivers. Connecting a TB-Dock before boot made it work but TB-Tree was minimal.

4) I tried flashing the firmware used by @scottkendall from here + the SSDT patches from the guide: The full TB tree showed up but no connected TB3 devices (but USB-C worked). Stange thing: Same behavior even when booting without the patches enabled.

Try the SSDT file in the folder with the alpine ridge flash see if it works. Those two files were early renditions of the files in the early stages of using flashed firmware. The files Casey has are a bit more refined. Also are you connecting the THB_C header to the card? or are you forcing power by bridging Pin 3 - 5?<----"is important I think" Also I have a Rev 2 card I think you mentioned you have a Rev 1. Maybe you need someone to edit your Rev 1 cards firmware, I am not even sure what is going on with the editing. Also enable Option Rom!

Do you have the SSDT installed when you boot with the Original firmware? Sometimes I would have KP when I would remove add or change the Thunderbolt card for a few boots.

Last edited:
Does this work with older themes? I prefer the one I am using now rather than the new default, which is just horrid.

I’m using the retina theme at the moment, which is working great (1920x1080 screen).

@CaseySJ
Just out of curiosity, are you going to upgrade your PC when Intel 10th gen CPU/Z490 come out?
I bought the current PC components purely based on this amazing guide and your knowledge.
Great question. Z490 is rumored to support PCIe 4.0 so it will certainly be interesting to wait for the release. If there's a Gigabyte Z490 Designare -- hopefully with two DP-In ports -- then it may be too tempting to pass up!

Here's an excerpt from an article published yesterday on AnandTech.com. Where's the Designare? Is it the Vision D? "D" as in "D"esignare?
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.46.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Back