Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ again a big thanks to you for the OC 0.5.7 manual! (I have NDK-OC 0.5.7 on my system now)

I have a question about this: do I have to do anything else after the guide or am I finished with the install guide?
Luckily you are done! But skim through Going the Extra Mile just to see what's available in case a future need arises.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I found a way to use AIO NZXT Kracken on macOS. I managed to get the official NZXT Cam program to work in a virtual machine. I talked about it here.

Cool -- that's always an option. Have you tried something like CrossOver for Mac?

Anyway, there's another option -- liquidctl by Jonas Malaco. All details are provided here:

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.51.26 AM.png

He's currently working on a dynamic controller that will monitor temperatures at a specified frequency and adjust fan speeds based on user-specified fan curves.

Hey @CaseySJ - everything's been going ok, however sleep is still a bit patchy (but not because of the reasons mentioned before).

I've narrowed it down to Handoff. Within Terminal, when entering pmset -g assertions, the reason for prevent User Idle System sleep is "pid 329(sharingd): [0x00003c6200018d9a] 00:00:06 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff" "

I've just restarted the machine and haven't even instigated any handoff transfers (WiFi is also off on the hack and so can't even make any transfers, but sleep also doesn't work if WiFi is on), however, if I go to system Preferences, general, and uncheck the 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices', the Mac goes to sleep within minutes.

Any ideas?

First of all, a big Thank You to @CaseySJ for such a wonderful guide and thoughtfulness throughout this thread. I've had my Designaire up and running with much stability for a while now. Couldn't have done that without this group of people - thank you.

One basic question regarding flashing a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card - does it need to be in the motherboard and powered up to flash properly? I've successfully flashed the motherboard and was going to update the TR card but have had problems writing the new ROM. Reading works fine with the card separated from the motherboard.

Again, thanks to all of you for this resource.

Hey @CaseySJ - everything's been going ok, however sleep is still a bit patchy (but not because of the reasons mentioned before).

I've narrowed it down to Handoff. Within Terminal, when entering pmset -g assertions, the reason for prevent User Idle System sleep is "pid 329(sharingd): [0x00003c6200018d9a] 00:00:06 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff" "

I've just restarted the machine and haven't even instigated any handoff transfers (WiFi is also off on the hack and so can't even make any transfers, but sleep also doesn't work if WiFi is on), however, if I go to system Preferences, general, and uncheck the 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices', the Mac goes to sleep within minutes.

Any ideas?
Hello @hamzab,

Have you tried disabling proximitywake and tcpkeepalive?

First of all, a big Thank You to @CaseySJ for such a wonderful guide and thoughtfulness throughout this thread. I've had my Designaire up and running with much stability for a while now. Couldn't have done that without this group of people - thank you.

One basic question regarding flashing a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card - does it need to be in the motherboard and powered up to flash properly? I've successfully flashed the motherboard and was going to update the TR card but have had problems writing the new ROM. Reading works fine with the card separated from the motherboard.

Again, thanks to all of you for this resource.
Hello @mathgeek,

You brought up my most favorite topic! First of all, how was your experience with flashing the motherboard itself? Which flashing procedure did you use and were any obstacles encountered?

The GC-Titan Ridge is far easier to flash. It should be fully removed from the motherboard and all 8 pins should be connected to it (including Vcc Pin 8).

Hi!
The PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Devil 8GB GD6 will work with this build on this MotherBoard like the RX580 (Mojave 10.14.6)?
Or there is any different processes to do?

Hi!
The PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Devil 8GB GD6 will work with this build on this MotherBoard? (Mojave 10.14.6)
No, because drivers for 5700-series GPUs were first added in Catalina 10.15.1 or 10.15.2.

Hello @hamzab,

Have you tried disabling proximitywake and tcpkeepalive?

Thank you for the above. I'll leave it running till the evening and will try one of those, one at a time.

EDIT: Disabled both via Terminal commands (pmset -g confirms they are both now set to 0), however I'm still getting "PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff" ". Disabling Handoff within system prefs, general fixes this.

Should I try a reinstall? As in my previous installation, I don't remember Handoff being the reason for this machine staying awake? Nothing else has been installed so don't mind reformatting and reinstalling MacOS.

Last edited:
Where can I disable IGPU in the BIOS? I can't find it. Thanks.

Back