Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ouch, let's see if this might help:
  • Hackintool aways creates a backup of config.plist
  • Boot from the internal macOS SSD (press F12 at BIOS splash screen and explicitly choose the normal SSD instead of the backup).
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, select the Options icon. In the menu that appears, one of the choices will list all of the .plist files in the CLOVER folder and will allow you to choose any one of them. If you see config-backup.plist or something similar, try selecting that.
  • Also enable Verbose mode from the Clover Boot Menu by pressing Spacebar and using arrow keys to move down to Verbose. Then press spacebar again to toggle it on. And press ESC to return to Clover Boot Menu. If the boot process hangs, capture a photo and post it (after resizing it down to about 1024 pixels in X or Y).l
Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually doe all of that before I posted. I have about 6 cofigs in the folder and all of them look like old ones that I’ve had before. I made a backup of the config that was working just before I tried the modification and that ones does the same thing. I even tried creating another installer on an SSD but same result. Here is the end of the writing on the screen:
strangeness.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually doe all of that before I posted. I have about 6 cofigs in the folder and all of them look like old ones that I’ve had before. I made a backup of the config that was working just before I tried the modification and that ones does the same thing. I even tried creating another installer on an SSD but same result. Here is the end of the writing on the screen:
View attachment 463673
If you unlocked your MSR 0xE2 previously, please check if it's still unlocked.

If you unlocked your MSR 0xE2 previously, please check if it's still unlocked.
I’ll check that immediately, but I just booted to a black screen with one of those 6 other configs. I hadn’t tried all of then before just maybe 3 of them and the 4th one I tried boots past the error but to a black screen. It’s kind of old so it hasn’t been given arguments to boot with my 5700xt I’m sure. So I’ll work from there and update the MSR. I should be able to go from here. Thank you very much. Appreciate you immensely.

I’ll check that immediately, but I just booted to a black screen with one of those 6 other configs. I hadn’t tried all of then before just maybe 3 of them and the 4th one I tried boots past the error but to a black screen. It’s kind of old so it hasn’t been given arguments to boot with my 5700xt I’m sure. So I’ll work from there and update the MSR. I should be able to go from here. Thank you very much. Appreciate you immensely.
On the config.plist that works, just add Boot Argument: agdpmod=pikera. It's likely the case that the working config.plist has AppleIntelCPUPM and KernelPM checked-on, which allows it to boot even if MSR 0xE2 is locked:
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 4.27.03 PM.png

It might be good to run a Google search on this.

Or perhaps pair a Bluetooth speaker and move the speaker about 3 meters from the computer. Play music through the speaker. Do you hear any dropouts or stutter? If so, it could indicate a Bluetooth signal issue.

Another suggestion would be to Reset the Bluetooth Module by pressing SHIFT-OPTION while clicking the Bluetooth icon on the menu bar. You will then see this:

View attachment 463672

@CaseySJ you wonderful, wonderful human being! I turned off my machine, made sure the Fenti card was properly secured, pushed the header cable in a bit deeper (word of advice to others, the cheap cable fenvi provide isn’t amazing as the header connector that slots into the motherboard isn’t properly aligned, and doesn’t really go all the way in, so don’t force it too much or else you could break some pins!), screwed in the antennas as tight as I could to the golden connectors at the back of the fenvi card and subsequently rebooted.

Voila! The hack picks up the MacBook and iPhone within seconds! Continuity camera is still flakey but I’m sure there’ll be a fix soon!

Thanks again!

Hello @PicLock,

It's perfectly okay to just remove it. It can even be moved to another system, but it may need re-activation. I'm not too familiar with activation procedures in Windows, but if it's possible to deactivate it first, then it might be easier to reactivate it on a new system.

By the way, are you booting the Asus X99 Deluxe II with Clover or OpenCore? Recently I attempted to migrate Clover settings to a freshly configured OpenCore folder, but the system fails immediately at the start of boot.
Hello Casey.
My Asus X99 Deluxe II is still on Mojave with Clover. It is stable and working well and I probably will keep the system as it is for sometime cause I use it daily for video editing in our studio. I will probably upgrade the RX580 GPU though. Would you recommend the Vega 64 or the Radeon VII for this build? Thank you once again for helping to resurrect my Asus X99 Deluxe II!

Btw, only one USB 3 port on my Fractal Design R5 case is working. There are 2 X USB 3 and 2 X USB 2 at the top of the case.
Sorry, I have still yet to learn about USB port configuration :) All the USB ports on the MB is working great though.

I have save the the file for you to take a look.

Attachments

• Edit’s iMac Pro_IOR.ioreg
    19.7 MB · Views: 83
Hi @CaseySJ

MacOS 10.15.4 installed and running well! Thank you again!

I'm going to leave it for a few days to see how sleep, etc., functions. (Right now I've not applied any extra patches like you've instructed before, as I'm using the Fenvi BT card connected to the front USB header.) There's also no need for providing me with a new SSDT as I don't want my setup to be different from others, and therefore don't need to use the front USB 2 port (already have 2x USB 3 ports at the front), however, thank you very much for the offer.

I had a few questions around AirDrop and things like Continuity Camera. I'm using Ethernet and WiFi/Bluetooth via the Fenvi card (also, a direct cable connection to the Motherboard USB header, I haven't used the splitter). Bluetooth and Wifi are working fine, as I'm able to browse the Internet and Bluetooth within System Prefs' has picked up my Apple keyboard. My questions:

Continuity camera works for me, on Mojave/iPhone8 with iOS13.3.1

First let's check the obvious:
  • Are Thunderbolt parameters setup correctly in BIOS? [...]
  • Have you adapted the SSDT appropriately for your motherboard?

1) I attached a screenshot of my BIOS settings

2) I followed the guide and tried the two SSDT patches (using OpenCore). But I assumed that the TB tree should be visible if activated - no matter if the patched are there or not?

3) I tried flashing back the original firmware and boot into macOS to be able to show you the ioreg with an attached device but I get a kernel panic (page fault) now for some reason - could be the RX580 drivers. Connecting a TB-Dock before boot made it work but TB-Tree was minimal.

4) I tried flashing the firmware used by @scottkendall from here + the SSDT patches from the guide: The full TB tree showed up but no connected TB3 devices (but USB-C worked). Stange thing: Same behavior even when booting without the patches enabled.

Attachments

• BIOS-TB.jpg
    BIOS-TB.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 107
Temporarily switch back to iMac19,1 just to make sure Sidecar works correctly. If so, you might have to make a priority call between the faster rendering speed with iMacPro1,1 or the wider compatibility with iMac19,1.

Yes, seems like I'm gonna have to live with it. I'm going to try using iMac19,1 while putting the IGPU in headless mode. Let's see how render speeds and sidecar are going to be affected by this. I'll let you know.

I have another problem with sleep/wake. My system spins up every couple hours with an RTC Alarm. I deactivated Power Nap, bluetooth wake and set proximitywake=0. Didn't help. Is there anything else I can do?

Back