Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks a lot for the reply. I already have two RPi 3Bs inside the house, that's not a problem. I was just making sure I hadn't missed anything before committing to doing this the hardware way. I don't have the mobo yet, but I plan to get one soon. If I understand correctly, I just need to connect the clip to the Pi's GPIO following a specific pinout posted in this thread, place the clip onto the Winbond chip with a blue dot (not a green one) so that LEDs light up faintly but stably red (with the PSU unplugged from power), enable SPI in raspi-config, read/dump the flash and - if successful - flash the provided BIN file to the Winbond chip.
Correct, but please review this tiny procedure carefully:

In the words of Mr. Reagan, "Doveryay, no proveryay". :) доверяй, но проверяй

This is truly amazing!! I'm going to have to change Post #1 ASAP. This has been an intractable problem for so long so I'm wondering...
  • Does the Apple Thunderbolt Display work if it is the only monitor in the system?
    • If the monitor is black until macOS boots up, maybe a second, but different monitor is required?
  • Does the Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter matter, or can any Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter get the job done?

• Only the Apple TB Display:

I removed the Displayport that was driving my LG Display from the RX-580. Disconnected power for 10+ seconds, and booted up. The Apple TB Display did not display the Gigabyte or Clover windows. I pressed the Return key and accepted the default Clover start selection and proceeded a "blind" boot to Catalina. At the point where the display drivers are loaded the Apple TB display showed the remaining portion of the boot progress bar and displayed the Catalina desktop.

On a Restart the Apple TB display will show the the Gibabyte and Clover screens. Sort of a workaround to get to the Gigabyte/Clover screens if needed. However, on a Shutdown and start the display does not display those screens.

A second display is useful if one needs to view both Gigabyte and Clover screens on startup.

With both the Apple and LG displays connected via Displayport one or the other will always display the Gigabyte and Clover screens.

• I just received the Apple TB3 to TB adapter and so far it acts just like the Cable Matters adapter in all respects.

• Only the Apple TB Display:

I removed the Displayport that was driving my LG Display from the RX-580. Disconnected power for 10+ seconds, and booted up. The Apple TB Display did not display the Gigabyte or Clover windows. I pressed the Return key and accepted the default Clover start selection and proceeded a "blind" boot to Catalina. At the point where the display drivers are loaded the Apple TB display showed the remaining portion of the boot progress bar and displayed the Catalina desktop.

On a Restart the Apple TB display will show the the Gibabyte and Clover screens. Sort of a workaround to get to the Gigabyte/Clover screens if needed. However, on a Shutdown and start the display does not display those screens.

A second display is useful if one needs to view both Gigabyte and Clover screens on startup.

With both the Apple and LG displays connected via Displayport one or the other will always display the Gigabyte and Clover screens.

• I just received the Apple TB3 to TB adapter and so far it acts just like the Cable Matters adapter in all respects.
Very helpful. I'll update Post #1 shortly.

Do you recall whether this worked before flashing the Thunderbolt firmware?

@NCMacGuy that is very cool! Now I am wondering if dual TB displays would work (one on each USBC port with an adapter). Theoretically the GPU should be able to push dual displays over the single DP cable. So I guess it boils down to how the motherboard routes that video to the USBC ports. If it's an MST hub built into the motherboard I would think it might work. Someone has two of those displays listed for sale locally here and I have been tempted to pull the trigger.

I tried using the lower TB port on the Designare connected via the Cable Matters TB3 to TB adapter with my LG display which has a TB port. It worked fine. However, the upper TB port connected via an Apple TB3 to TB adapter failed to drive the Apple TB Display. IORegistryEdit didn't display that port.

Perhaps somebody savvy in these matters could figure out how to get each TB port on the Designare to drive a TB display.

I did try to plug the TB cable from my LG display into the TB port on the back of the Apple TB Display, but I simply got kernel panics and reboots.

Very helpful. I'll update Post #1 shortly.

Do you recall whether this worked before flashing the Thunderbolt firmware?

No I did not try using the Apple TB Display before flashing the TB firmware.

Perhaps somebody else who hasn't flashed their firmware could give it a try.

Hi, back at the hack now ...

Yes, you are spot-on. Here's mine here in the UK :

This isn't my Fenvi, this is a BCM94360CS2 in a PCI-e adapter.

I still think the Locale is related to geographical area, but from what I've been reading the wi-fi system should be clever enough to negotiate itself around the world - e.g a laptop travelling.

As you point out though, what country-code is "X3" ?

I have found a perl script which forces the country-code to X2, but I don't understand the advantage ... yet. Still reading.

Of course there is a Wireless Diagnostics Tool in macOS that will show if there is any country-code conflict. To open it:

Option-Click on the Wireless Icon in the Menu bar. Select "Open Wireless Diagnostics".

:)

If it is about changing the country code why not using the AirportBrcmFixup Lilu plug-in in clover/kext/others?
https://github.com/acidanthera/AirportBrcmFixup/releases
this coupled with the Brcmfx-country=XX boot-arg (see picture) allows easy country code change (XX being the selected country code). I have added a screenshot for my Hackinotsh (I leave in France) equipped with a Fenvi T919 wifi/BT card.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-04-16 à 21.33.55.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-16 à 21.33.55.png
    443.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BRCMFX-CC-Code.png
    BRCMFX-CC-Code.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
No I did not try using the Apple TB Display before flashing the TB firmware.

Perhaps somebody else who hasn't flashed their firmware could give it a try.
Post #1 has been updated...

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 12.56.13 PM.png

Correct, but please review this tiny procedure carefully:

Thanks again, I didn't see that post. I was wondering, in case I screw something up, what would be not to work? Just Thunderbolt or the whole board/system?

Also, do I have to repeat this after every BIOS update, and should I do the CFG lock patch before flashing the Titan Ridge?

Back