Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@jeff.m.ruth
Please ignore the Thunderbolt DROM guide. That procedure is only for those who flashed their Thunderbolt firmware with a hacked version to enable advanced Thunderbolt functionality.

Thunderbolt is already enabled on your Z390 Designare if you followed CaseySJ's installation guide for Catalina.
If correctly installed, the following should be true:
1. You have "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml" in your EFI under Clover\ACPI\Patched
2. You see two entries for GC-Titan Ridge in System Information > PCI
3. You see "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded" in System Information > Thunderbolt

According to @zipb your UAD Thunderbolt devices work on your system as it is, without the advanced Thunderbolt functionality. You may have to connect and power on the UAD devices before booting, if I read his reply to you correctly.

So, hook up your UAD devices and start playing!
Great! This makes more sense. I just wanted to be sure. Everything checks out as you indicated. Just waiting on my new SSD to make a backup drive and I am good to go!

Keep in mind, Thunderbolt items will not show up in the Thunderbolt section under "System Report". Items WILL show in the PCI section under "System Report". This causes quite a bit of confusion for folks. They think because nothing is showing under Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt isn't enabled, but through CaseySJ s great work it is enabled if you follow the build guide.
Appreciate the response. This helps me understand. I was thinking I needed to do another step or two. I am good to go and everything checks out.

Just a heads up. MicroCenter in Cincinnati has open box Z390 Designare motherboards for $134.96. They also have 1 open box i9 9900K for only $407. I don't have anything to do with Microcenter, but that's great prices if anyone is in the Cincy area. I bought my Designare open box from there in October for less than $100. Also if you buy a processor and motherboard together they normally will knock off anther $20 even for open box. But again all this is in store only, no shipping. Just a FYI.

Greetings, I'm figuring out my first Hackintosh build. I was wondering something that might be unrelated to hackingtosh but it is quite relevant for me.

Since I use a dual LG ultrafine 4k setup for my MacBook Pro, I would love to keep using those monitors. The build in this thread supports TB3, but I wonder if my displays will be driven by my gpu when I use TB3 as the connection to my monitors. (I plan on using an RX 5700 XT if that matters). I know in laptops with a discrete gpu you can usually switch between the 2 but I don't know if this will work similarly in this setup.

Great guide so far to get me all warmed up for my first hackintosh project!
Hello @Borstel,

This is a tricky one:
  • If you use the internal GPU on a 9th Gen Intel CPU (non-F version) then it can drive both of the on-board Thunderbolt ports. You can connect one LG UltraFine 4K to each of the two Thunderbolt ports for 4K at 60Hz.
  • However, if you want to use an AMD RX 5700 XT, then only one LG UltraFine 4K can be driven from the RX 5700 XT. This is because Designare Z390 has only one DP-In port. You would connect a short DisplayPort cable from the RX 5700 to the DP-In port and then connect one LG UltraFine 4K to the Thunderbolt port closest to the HDMI port on the rear IO panel.
    • But the second LG UltraFine 4K would be driven by the internal GPU.
  • The alternative is to purchase a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card, which has two DP-In ports. In this case you would use two short DisplayPort cables from the RX 5700 XT to the GC-Titan Ridge, and then two Thunderbolt cables out to the two LG UltraFine 4Ks.
    • To get the best of out this add-in-card, it might be necessary to flash the firmware (this does not mean it is necessary, but only that it might be necessary).

I have a problem with a Firewire 400/800 PCI card not being recognised. This is the card:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000RMOC5A/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I used this without a problem in my old Z87 - 4770K build. I THINK I also used it in this build a few months ago with another macOS, but I'm not sure.

I've tried putting it in a different slot - still nothing. Any tips?

Attachments

• philip_ioreg.ioreg
    8.6 MB · Views: 64
  • devices.png
    devices.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 76
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a CCC issue.

My bootable backups works great...no issues. But I recently turned on Snapshots and I get this error from CCC when it tries to Snapshot the Data APFS volumes.

But I can manually Snapshot the volume successfully using "tmutil" from terminal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Lam

Screenshot 2020-04-15 08.54.48.png

I have a problem with a Firewire 400/800 PCI card not being recognised. This is the card:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000RMOC5A/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

I used this without a problem in my old Z87 - 4770K build. I THINK I also used it in this build a few months ago with another macOS, but I'm not sure.

I've tried putting it in a different slot - still nothing. Any tips?
Hello @Ponkass
I'm not an expert, but your firewire card may be fully operational, only not showing up in System Report > PCI.

Have you tried connecting a Firewire device? Does that device work?

You should also check System Report > Firewire and see if something is displayed there.
My system only states "No FireWire ports were found", hopefully your ports are listed there.

When looking at your IOreg file, I can see a device PEG1 that exposes itself as IOFireWireController.
Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 18.00.34.png

This is a fairly common issue with 10.15.4. Some questions:
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2?
    • It's a good idea to double-check it by booting to the grub prompt again and typing setup_var_3 0x5C1. If it returns 0x0 then it's unlocked.
  • Also re-check the steps pertaining to config.plist modification. There are just 2 steps (SMBIOS and RtVariables) shown in the Catalina Mini-Guide.
If problem persists please compress and upload your CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before posting.
Thank you so much
I've solved my problem
I only have one last question but I think you have already answered to this many times, I have a LG display with usb c how do I get to work the Display port to Thunderbolt Display of the motherboard?

Hello @Ponkass
I'm not an expert, but your firewire card may be fully operational, only not showing up in System Report > PCI.

Have you tried connecting a Firewire device? Does that device work?

You should also check System Report > Firewire and see if something is displayed there.
My system only states "No FireWire ports were found", hopefully your ports are listed there.

When looking at your IOreg file, I can see a device PEG1 that exposes itself as IOFireWireController.
View attachment 462634

I forgot to check the FireWire tab, good call! It is actually there. I'm trying to connect a Camcorder. And on the display of the camcorder it says that its connected.. but computer doesn't recognise it.. oh well. I'll do some more testing. Thanks for the help!

Thank you so much
I've solved my problem
I only have one last question but I think you have already answered to this many times, I have a LG display with usb c how do I get to work the Display port to Thunderbolt Display of the motherboard?
It helps to search and read ... the answer was right before your nose, just scroll up a few posts to this one.

Back