Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm using wired speakers and headphones
CPU is not heavily loaded; I'm usually code with Visual Studio Code and listen some music or podcast in the background.
Sometimes I use bluetooth headphones, but as I mentioned before I experience the problem when the computer restarts for some hours, then it gets better, so I'm not sure whether this happened also with the bluetooth headset.
Is this a fresh installation or an upgrade?

It might also be a good idea to install Linux or Windows (even if temporarily) and see if the audio ports are stable. If they're unstable even in Linux and/or Windows then we can suspect hardware issue.

At the Clover Boot Menu press spacebar to show a set of options. Use arrow keys to move to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on. Press ESC to return to main menu and try to boot the installer again. What happens?

Are you performing a fresh installation of Catalina or an upgrade from earlier version of macOS?
I’ve had some problems with my hackintosh so I inizialized my memory and wanted to make a fresh installation. I used to have Catalina 15.2 installed, I wasn’t able to do a
At the Clover Boot Menu press spacebar to show a set of options. Use arrow keys to move to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on. Press ESC to return to main menu and try to boot the installer again. What happens?

Are you performing a fresh installation of Catalina or an upgrade from earlier version of macOS?
I had some problems with my hackintosh (Catalina 10.15.2) so I decided to go for a fresh installation of MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.
My components are:
i9-9900k
Gigabyte designare Z390
5700 XT nitro+ from sapphire
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb x2
Corsair RM850x

Thank you very much for your effort and I hope you could help me

I attached an image of the screen result.

Attachments

• 3F6395A6-5685-49F3-B511-56FAD7191CB3.jpeg
    3F6395A6-5685-49F3-B511-56FAD7191CB3.jpeg
    974.6 KB · Views: 51
@CaseySJ that was in fact what I was just doing. The first video below is a video I just took where we went Option 1 > Option 2 > Normal Boot (again it's total luck of the draw what outcome I am going to get on any power on attempt but I would say at least 9/10 times I will not get just a straight normal boot from powered off state, restarts however usually never see an issue since the system never powers off):

Option 1 > Option 2 > Boot

This second video is one I took last night where I am stuck in an Option 2 loop:

Option 2 Loop

Last night I did all the steps you listed above (used HDMI) with the exception of rolling back to F8 and none of them seemed to permanently resolve the issue. Being intermittent in nature this is definitely making troubleshooting more difficult than normal. (I downloaded F8 and F7 to a flash drive before I went to bed anticipating that as my next likely troubleshooting step.) I will give the BIOS downgrade a shot later tonight and report back.

I am somewhat comforted to know we are thinking along the same lines of troubleshooting and I am not doing something stupid here lol. Thank you for the quick reply and willingness to help sir!

Hello @CaseySJ,
Congratulations on your work, it's incredible ...
My 2012 hackintosh has just crashed ( ga-z77x-ud5h...) and I'm looking for a new daw config, no need graphics gpu.
Your build seems to suit me and I just wanted to have some info concerning my old elements:

- Are my bequiet 600w straight power E7, my cooler hyper 212 evo and my TP-link tlwdn4800 (Wi-Fi) ok for the Z390 designare / i7-9700K?
- I have two screens, a samsung in HDMI and an old Sony in DVI, needs adapter for DVI> DP in?

Last but not least, I have my system in Mojave 10.14.3 (under the configuration ga-z77x-ud5h) and I would like to keep this one, so I have to update directly in Catalina?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Jeremy
Hello @jeremclink,
  • If you don't need a separate GPU then a 600W power supply will be more than sufficient.
  • The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO air cooler should be just fine with i7-9700K.
  • If the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 works in your current Hackintosh then it can certainly be used in the new one.
  • The rear IO panel of the Designare supports:
    • HDMI 1.4b -- maximum of 4K at 30Hz
    • Thunderbolt Port 1 -- you may use a USB-C to DVI cable on this port
    • Thunderbolt Port 2 -- you may use a USB-C to DVI cable on this port
  • It's perfectly okay to install Mojave (10.14.3 or 10.14.6).
    • Latest UniBeast/MultiBeast will install Clover 5xxx (5107) so when you follow the guide in Post #1, just mentally replace drivers64UEFI with drivers/UEFI as you read the guide!
Having said this, I do not recommend using old monitors. They may or may not work. Even if the monitor works in current Hackintosh, you will be using a USB-C to DVI cable and a new Intel UHD 630 iGPU on the new system. You may or may not get the same results as you're getting now.

Is this a fresh installation or an upgrade?

It might also be a good idea to install Linux or Windows (even if temporarily) and see if the audio ports are stable. If they're unstable even in Linux and/or Windows then we can suspect hardware issue.

It's a fresh install. I also a windows on the same computer and the audio works fine.
Don't think is an hardware issue.

As said, it happens only in macOS and only after reboot, and after some hours it stabilises.

I had some problems with my hackintosh (Catalina 10.15.2) so I decided to go for a fresh installation of MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.
My components are:
i9-9900k
Gigabyte designare Z390
5700 XT nitro+ from sapphire
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb x2
Corsair RM850x

Thank you very much for your effort and I hope you could help me

I attached an image of the screen result.
This is a fairly common issue with 10.15.4. Some questions:
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2?
    • It's a good idea to double-check it by booting to the grub prompt again and typing setup_var_3 0x5C1. If it returns 0x0 then it's unlocked.
  • Also re-check the steps pertaining to config.plist modification. There are just 2 steps (SMBIOS and RtVariables) shown in the Catalina Mini-Guide.
If problem persists please compress and upload your CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before posting.

@CaseySJ that was in fact what I was just doing. The first video below is a video I just took where we went Option 1 > Option 2 > Normal Boot (again it's total luck of the draw what outcome I am going to get on any power on attempt but I would say at least 9/10 times I will not get just a straight normal boot from powered off state, restarts however usually never see an issue since the system never powers off):

Option 1 > Option 2 > Boot

This second video is one I took last night where I am stuck in an Option 2 loop:

Option 2 Loop

Last night I did all the steps you listed above (used HDMI) with the exception of rolling back to F8 and none of them seemed to permanently resolve the issue. Being intermittent in nature this is definitely making troubleshooting more difficult than normal. (I downloaded F8 and F7 to a flash drive before I went to bed anticipating that as my next likely troubleshooting step.) I will give the BIOS downgrade a shot later tonight and report back.

I am somewhat comforted to know we are thinking along the same lines of troubleshooting and I am not doing something stupid here lol. Thank you for the quick reply and willingness to help sir!
The first video does suggest a hardware fault.
  • In the first sequence of video #1, the CPU and DRAM LEDs turn on and then the system shuts off.
  • In the second sequence, the CPU, DRAM and VGA light up but as soon as BOOT lights up, the system shuts down.
  • In the third sequence, all LEDs turn on then off and the system continues the boot process without shutting down.
Suspicion #1: Bad DRAM. One or more modules may be bad. Have you followed the memtest procedure?

It's a fresh install. I also a windows on the same computer and the audio works fine.
Don't think is an hardware issue.

As said, it happens only in macOS and only after reboot, and after some hours it stabilises.
Does it happen with every music playing app or only a specific music playing app?

* If anyone has faced this problem before (choppy sound output from rear green jack which stabilizes over time), please let us know. *

**Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer **
** Please do not quote this guide in any post -- use a link instead **
This guide requires unlocking the MSR 0xE2 register. Details are in the procedure.

I apologize in advance. -- I'm confused about the size of the Catalina image (GB wise) and I'm sure it's documented somewhere but I can't find a reference.

I've been happily working with Mojave but recently have seen some odd problems (most notably the app store stopped working for me) so I decided to do a 'clean' install of Catelina.

The guide is up to the usual standards of @CaseySJ -- clear, detailed and no 'magic' steps. The one thing I'm confused of is the downloading of the image.

When I follow the instructions for downloading (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gibmacos-tutorial-how-to-download-macos-catalina.295248/) it says the catelina image is 19E266 for 10.15.4

I have two choices for 10.15.4 -- neither one is labeled 19E266 and both of them are 'smalish' 1-3GB) -- They both have the same build number (19E287) but are listed seperatley.

I can download a 7GB 10.15.3 but the guide is written against 10.15.4

Should I worry about the smalish (3GB) image for 10.15.4 and just plow ahead or use the 10.15.3 8GB image or?

Last edited:
I apologize in advance. -- I'm confused about the size of the Catalina image (GB wise) and I'm sure it's documented somewhere but I can't find a reference.

I've been happily working with Mojave but recently have seen some odd problems (most notably the app store stopped working for me) so I decided to do a 'clean' install of Catelina.

The guide is up to the usual standards of @CaseySJ -- clear, detailed and no 'magic' steps. The one thing I'm confused of is the downloading of the image.

When I follow the instructions for downloading (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gibmacos-tutorial-how-to-download-macos-catalina.295248/) it says the catelina image is 19E266 for 10.15.4

I have two choices for 10.15.4 -- neither one is labeled 19E266 and both of them are 'smalish' 1-3GB) -- They both have the same build number (19E287) but are listed seperatley.

I can download a 7GB 10.15.3 but the guide is written against 10.15.4

Should I worry about the smalish (3GB) image for 10.15.4 and just plow ahead or use the 10.15.3 8GB image or?
If you have anything in your Applications folder named Install macOS Catalina, no matter what version it is, rename it or move it somewhere else before trying to download 10.15.4. It sounds like you're getting the 10.15.4 update download rather than the full 10.15.4 download that should be a bit larger than 8GB.

Back