Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I guess my point is that maybe the OS after booting with it set to disabled makes some changes that somehow fix something. Could that be a thing?

Edit:
Or maybe the graphics card and/or other PCI-E devices get tweaked somehow. Before when I would change the x4 slot mode to the CPU side, my graphics would bench 10k higher in Geekbench, which is weird because that's supposed to to only leave the top x16 slot with 8 lanes instead of 16. I just tested this setting again, and now it lowers my benchmark scores (as it should I'm guessing.)

Unlocking the MSR affects how NVRAM works, so perhaps this BIOS setting also affects the OS at the system level. If anyone else is having issues like me (seems like there are more than few) they could try this and test it out to see if it's a thing/solution.

Hi @FormerUser-50757,

Are things still stable since the BIOS disable/enable?

Lam

There are 2 places it can be in OpenCore:
  • NVRAM --> Boot Arguments.
    • There might be a parameter called alcid. My preferred approach is to use this to set Layout ID: alcid=11.
  • Devices --> Properties.
View attachment 460815

I would prefer to refrain from boot args if at all possible -- this is what I currently show under my config list file.. would I just change layout-id to <11000000>?

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 3.53.59 PM.png

Is this?...also how to change this stupid colour?
View attachment 460812
  • Are you using Clover 5107/5108?
  • If so, try using a different Theme, such as Embedded or Tonymacx86.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 12.52.48 PM.png
  • Regarding the multiple icons, my question is:
    • What are the names of those icons?
      • In other words, select the one on the left. What does Clover say? "Boot aaa from bbb"?
      • Then select the next one. What does Clover say? "Boot ccc from ddd"?

I would prefer to refrain from boot args if at all possible -- this is what I currently show under my config list file.. would I just change layout-id to <11000000>?
View attachment 460817
  • If you use boot arguments, it is simply alcid=11.
  • If you use Device Properties, it needs to be specified in reverse hexadecimal byte order along with property name layout-id.
    • The hex equivalent of 11 is 0x0B as indicated in my previous post.
    • So simply change that 05 to 0B.

• If you use boot arguments, it is simply alcid=11.
  • If you use Device Properties, it needs to be specified in reverse hexadecimal byte order along with property name layout-id.
    • The hex equivalent of 11 is 0x0B as indicated in my previous post.
    • So simply change that 05 to 0B.

That didn't seem to work after making the change and reboot

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.08.02 PM.png

oh I just realized I also already have alcid=11 as a boot arg which hasn't been working... :(

EDIT: oof - I had to change the sound in settings to 'internal speakers' lol.

Last edited:
I just updated using the Supplemental 10.15.4 update, coming from the first 10.15.4. I already installed Clover 5108 and left it like that. I also updated most of the kext I could immediately find on Github.

Everything works great. The update itself took me around 30 minutes. First I started the process, then it booted, then I chose the one with Install, then it booted for a second time with 10 minutes remaining and done.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.12.33.png

Happy Hackintoshing!

Great news, guys! I was finally able to reach out to Gigabyte Taiwan HQ via a bunch of secret email addresses to let them know about Thunderbolt issues with Z390 Designare.

With a parallel help of another, very reputable user on another forum, it seems like we finally caught their attention.

They are currently aware about issues and working closely with Intel right now in order to release (they already testing) new firmware and BIOS updates for us.

So, hopefully we should receive updates soon, which may potentially should improve Thunderbolt capabilities of Titan Ridge with legacy TB devices (especially Apple Thunderbolt Display).

Does anyone know if the new firmware and bios updates have been released in order for the Apple thunderbolt Display to work with Z390 Designare out of the box?

Hi @FormerUser-50757,

Are things still stable since the BIOS disable/enable?

Lam
Yes, amazingly they are. I'm still waiting for it to freeze, but it hasn't yet. I've been so screwed by this machine for months, I still can't believe it's working now. Haha.

because the problematic network behavior only occurs when selecting 9000 MTU, Ive concluded that is the issue.

This is totally normal if you have not set up your network correctly. To use jumbo frames (over 1500MTU), all other devices on that network (NICs and SWITCHES) must also be set to use jumbo frames. Otherwise, you will have packet loss and instability. Further, this should only be used on private networks, you would not use this for the internet. separate your 10G jumbo frame network off for internal use only at high speeds. Make sure your switches support (and if managed, are set to enable) jumbo frames, make sure all the other nics on this network are set to the same jumbo frame size (usually 9000). run a separate 1G/WiFi network for internet.

g\

Last edited:
Happy Easter CaseySJ, thanks very much for your build and your help, your work for the community...Steve Jobs would hired you already since a long time

Attachments

• 1c8dfaba5916cffa7e1f870c665dd195.png
    1c8dfaba5916cffa7e1f870c665dd195.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 62
Back