Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@doof thanks. It was actually due to ocquirks.plist. Now the ocquirks-revision22 works.

Hi @CaseySJ
Thank you for all your hard work. Followed you since 2018 and built a successful build running 10.14.5! My question below needs to be prefaced by this: I'm 100% working from home because of COVID-19 and my Hackintosh is now my livelihood. Should I risk trying to update to 10.15? Do you think an upgrade will solve my problem listed below?

PROBLEM
When I run a third monitor (4k TV hooked in to HDMI on Vega Frontier), sometimes I crash. Not always. The other two 4k monitors are hooked into DP on the Vega Frontier.

What ALWAYS happens is shortly after booting into 10.14, the screens flicker once (even with the 4k TV off). Most of the time, everything is fine. Once in a while, everything goes grey, CPU fans max. This has happened in Adobe apps. Again, this has always occurred with the 4K TV off.

NOTE: Computer will not boot at all, even to bios, if the 4k TV is on. If I leave it off, it boots and then I can turn it on, everything is fine.

Just to add another Firmware:

Unpatched and Original Firmware from an ASUS Prime X299 Edition 30

@mattbatt
I can recommend to stay away from Catalina as long as you can.
Apple messed a lot up and no one knows when the stuff will be fixed.

Attachments

• ASUS.Prime.X299.Edition30.CascadeLakeX.ThunderboltOriginal.bin.zip
    214.8 KB · Views: 51
PROBLEM
When I run a third monitor (4k TV hooked in to HDMI on Vega Frontier), sometimes I crash. Not always. The other two 4k monitors are hooked into DP on the Vega Frontier.

What ALWAYS happens is shortly after booting into 10.14, the screens flicker once (even with the 4k TV off). Most of the time, everything is fine. Once in a while, everything goes grey, CPU fans max. This has happened in Adobe apps. Again, this has always occurred with the 4K TV off.

For me the solution was to disable XMP and change the clock multiplayer to clock my memory and make sure each power has its own power no daisy chaining.

Tried to upgrade to Catalina today. I followed the micro guide which was a little confusing but I'm pretty sure I did what I was supposed to do. After I boot the USB disk, I select boot into Mojave, and that's where the problems start. Sometimes I get a big Circle with slash thru it (similar to invalid). Other times it just hangs. I redid the process again with the same results. I have a Radeon VII card. So I made sure to copy out the Rt Variables and SMBIOS (using VI). I completely replace those two sections on the config.plist. I verify that Clover sees these two sections in the new config.plist file.

Feels like it is not detecting my NVMe or maybe its a video problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrading to 10.15.4 may result in a “Bless” error in which the 10.15.4 installer is unable to select a startup disk. If this happens, you’ll have two extra or leftover macOS Install boot volumes in Clover Boot Menu. You can try without unlocking MSR 0xE2.
In the boot option from the BIOS menu (after pressing F12 or in BIOS Boot option), iam having 2 boot volumes available with same name indicating the internal SSD, but i have no issues with booting to macOS.
What could be causing this 2 volumes?

When you say you were "always able to select MTU 9000", are you referring to Network Settings on the Hackintosh? The paragraph below states that MTU will not "stick" whether selected from the pop-up menu or entered as a manual value.

Are the screenshots for (a) WiFi or (b) Wired Ethernet? Or the same inability to set jumbo frames applies to both?

It's fairly common to use jumbo frames for communication with NAS so I agree it's desirable to find a solution.

So this issue happens with a Chelsio T4 PCIe card? Does it have an Aquantia or Intel or some other controller?

Thanks for the attention, much appreciated! For clarity, on the wired Chelsio Nic’s (I have 5 or 6 of them T4, T5, and T6), when I navigate to advanced network settings (as pictured), auto configuration doesn’t allow the selection of 9000 MTU, it’s not a visible selection, only 1500 MTU is selectable. To change MTU, I have to select manual configuration, autoselect speed, then I am able to choose either 1500 MTU, 9000 MTU, or Custom. Selecting 1500 MTU, there are zero detectable issues. If I select 9000 MTU, it sticks, but Finder often freezes when connecting to an SMB share, requires restart, slow network performance, if I can connect to an SmB share - a transfer will start at pace, halt for up to 30-45 seconds, sometimes drop the connection, sometimes it will get going again and finish the transfer, this behavior is not predictable, however more often than not, I get finder freezing then restart. Additionally, in any browser, I’m able to connect to internet just fine, no issues, but nearly every LAN destination will fail to load. So, we’ve got finder freezing, dropped SmB and iscsi connections, start/halt/resume file transfers, inaccessible LAN sites. Back to settings, when I select custom MTU I can type in 9000 MTU, hit save, then apply changes, but the changes don’t stick, it reverts back to 1500 MTU no matter what.

because the problematic network behavior only occurs when selecting 9000 MTU, Ive concluded that is the issue.

it occurs on all Chelsea interfaces that I have, all models. However, the same behavior can’t be replicated on either of my two Apple Macs. Works fine on genuine Apple, to select 9000 MTU, same exact setup.

i checked today, and amazon seems to be opening up some more, so I can get an aquantia NIC by Sunday, which I’ll likely do, just to test.

it’s just very bizarre, I was on Catalina for months without any issue with jumbo frames and the Chelsea NIC’S. It just began a week or so ago, out of the blue.

Hi, @CaseySJ, my build is 9900K + Z390 designare +rx580, my problem is hackintosh can't sleep and shut down normally when fv-hb1200 or fv-t919 WIFI/Bluetooth card PCIE card is plugged into the bottom PCIEx1 slot(the RAM light is on and can be waked when the card is unplugged, but the RAM light directly become off and can't be waked when the card is plugged in). Once I unplug the card, it become normal again. The current macOS system is 10.15.4 now and was installed using fresh install as your 10.15.4 fresh install mini-guide. So I want to know if there are solutions to get the card on my motherboard working properly. I haven't found anyone having the situation like me. Thank you!

This should be possible:
  1. Backup your existing system (including EFI partition).
  2. Download Zip file from Catalina 10.15.4 mini-guide.
  3. Replace all files in your Clover “drivers/UEFI” folder with corresponding files in Zip.
  4. Replace all files in your Clover “kexts/Other” folder with corresponding files in Zip.
  5. Replace all files in your Clover “ACPI/patched” folder with corresponding files in Zip.
  6. Copy your SMBIOS and RtVariables sections into config-AMD-GPU.plist in the Zip file. Then rename that file to config.plist and replace your existing config.plist with the new one. See the bottom of this post to see how this can be done easily.
  7. Reboot and see if it works...

Hi @CaseySJ , after I followed the exact steps above (I finally got my new PC, jeeeee! :)), I get the following using the verbose boot and it stops here. No worries, I have a back-up of my EFI and drive, but is there something I can do to fix (trial and error?)?

I can take out the SSD and hook it up via USB to my MacBook, so I'm flexible on this to change anything you would suggest.

verbose.jpg

Last edited:
This is an awesome guide. Thank you!

I just used it and a USB map kext from psedog to get my Aorus Pro Wifi / ASUS rx580 system up and running. Everything's great except for a few quibbles. (Which, needless to say, aren't your fault since I'm using a similar but different motherboard and different video card.)

First, the only pci devices I see in System Information are "AMD RX 580" and "AMD RX 580 HD-Audio". Do you have any advice about why I'm not seeing more? I don't have any M.2 devices.

Second, the dummy141.kext fix doesn't seem to have had any effect, according to VideoProc. Any suggestions?

Third, at some point in the process I lost all the Intel audio devices that had appeared during post-install. Now all that shows up is my monitor (which has no speakers), via DisplayPort, and a USB audio device. Help!

Last edited:
Back