Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I came to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.4, and I updated to clover r5109 as that was the latest, and I think it broke my system, or maybe it was something else I did.
After installing, on r5107 it worked fine.
I was editing my config.plist to take out the port limit patches as I had them enabled still with an SSDT.
I replaced my SSDT V7 which had one port disabled, to the original one in your post.
I updated to r5109, and my system stopped working. Never seen this kind of error before, so I wasn't sure where to start.
I attached my config.plist and an image of all my kexts, patched, drivers files
Any help is grateful

I had a similar error. When I updated with OpenCore, the system did, however, boot. Once booted I updated my OpenCore, and everything seems peachie since. Yesterday, my GF updated her system to 15.4, and she got the same error. I did what I normally do and that is get the latest pastrychef EFI since her system is the same. Everything booted and worked without error, version 5107. I have however removed WEG from both systems and use Pike R. Blackscreen patch.

Silly question, but how do I downgrade without being able to boot in?

Do you have a rescue USB stick with your previous EFI with 5107 on it? If so then boot from that. Always a good idea to make/update a bootable USB to your latest working EFI before upgrading.

5108 broke my system so I think I'll give 5109 a miss for the time being.

According to @rj510, both WiFi and Bluetooth performance of the Fenvi FV-T919 might be improved if we use these additional kexts:
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
Attached ZIP contains all five. If you'd like to try this, simply copy all kexts to CLOVER/kexts/Other and reboot.

I will try it tomorrow and describe the results here. Thank you very much

After I remove the OCQuirks driver and install the older OCQuirks driver revision 20 (from my rescue USB-stick) on my hackintosh started without any failure. But there's one (cosmetic) thing in the Cover boot menu since I installed clover 5109:
ocquirks v22 requires edits to the plist to function. Theme rendering in 5109 has changed. Many older themes no longer render correctly.

Attachments

• ocquirksv22.plist.zip
    895 bytes · Views: 84
@CaseySJ I just noticed a nifty little feature in OC Configurator but I imagine you already did. Either way, I think it's worth noting. In Device Properties there is a drop down list of your PCI devices. That beats the hell out of other methods of importing devices. Less steps, less room for error.

...and before anyone chimes in about not using OC Config. I think thats a dated idea and like most of this community you need to try things yourself and help things improve by reporting issues. Early versions did in fact hurt things. From my experiences, 056 to now have been excellent with the app.

@CaseySJ I just noticed a nifty little feature in OC Configurator but I imagine you already did. Either way, I think it's worth noting. In Device Properties there is a drop down list of your PCI devices. That beats the hell out of other methods of importing devices. Less steps, less room for error.

...and before anyone chimes in about not using OC Config. I think thats a dated idea and like most of this community you need to try things yourself and help things improve by reporting issues. Early versions did in fact hurt things. From my experiences, 056 to now have been excellent with the app.
That's exactly how I created the two OpenCore 0.5.7 ZIP files yesterday and today. The devices --> properties section was created simply by using the pop-up menu. There are other pop-up menus too!

Silly question, but how do I downgrade without being able to boot in?
Normally this would be easy. We would just replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi with older versions. But if the Themes folder has changed as well then it's better to do this:
  • Find a USB install disk.
  • Mount the EFI partition and rename the existing "EFI" folder to something like "EFI-OLD".
  • Download the Clover 5107 installer (the file with .pkg extension).
  • Run it and point it to the USB install disk.
  • Proceed with Clover installation.
  • Now there will be two EFI folders:
    • EFI (v5107)
    • EFI-OLD (v5109)
  • From the new EFI folder, delete the following sub-folders:
    • EFI/Kexts
    • EFI/drivers
    • EFI/ACPI
  • Now mount the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.
  • Copy the same three folders from internal EFI/CLOVER folder to USB flash disk's EFI/CLOVER folder:
    • EFI/Kexts
    • EFI/drivers
    • EFI/ACPI
  • Finally, copy config.plist from internal EFI/CLOVER folder to USB flash disk's EFI/CLOVER folder (replace the file that's already there).
Reboot and press F12 at BIOS splash screen.

Last edited:
Just to let you know 10.15.4 Supplemental Update is out. Went well on my hack.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.08.32 am.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.38.20 am.png

I, too, am experiencing some boot issues with Clover 5109.

Currently, in my specific case, it is such that booting up sometimes results in the denied/blocked symbol showing up (but not consistently reproducible), which prevents me from booting to the login screen.

My current workaround for this, strange as it sounds, is to enable verbose booting, which typically allows the boot process to finish properly. I have a hunch this may be a race condition somewhere, but I'm not an expert on Clovers internals.
There may also be a connection of this to cold- vs warm-booting, however I wasn't able to figure out a consistent pattern yet.

Currently, I would recommend people not upgrade to Clover 5901 due to this instability.

As an additional note, Clover 5901 also ships with a new theme engine. This can lead to display issues in the clover boot menu when you install 5901 without the new themes or you have an "old" style theme set explicitly in your config.plist, leading to the screen being blacked out (or sometimes blue) due to the theme being incompatible. This can be remedied by installing the default themes using the "customise" option in the clover installer package and updating the theme in the config.plist file.
In my case, I switched from "embedded" to "Clovy", which is one of the new built-in themes.

Both issues are being tracked in the Clover repository:
Boot Breakage
Theme Issues

Neither have a resolution yet.

Back