Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

So I happened to be playing some Master Chief Collection on my windows drive and I had a Thunderbolt Control Center notification pop up mid game (probably 1+ hour into gaming, so not right at system boot) then quickly disappear. I did not have any thunderbolt devices plugged in and thought that was strange. Opened up the control center and checked the "About" page, and all the thunderbolt controllers appeared! My built in Alpine Ridge AND the flashed GC-TR NVM23.

They listed the controllers as:

Alpine Ridge NVM: 18.07
Alpine Ridge Security: SL0 (No Security)

Titan Ridge NVM: 23
Titan Ridge Security: SL1 (User Auth)

The only way I know of changing the security level of the TB3 controller is in bios, which currently is set to NO SEC. Is there a way to force the Titan Ridge into SL0 No Security mode?

Having an issue where periodically my computer is not recognized by my online accounts and I have to reauthorize them (Audio plugins, Dropbox, Google accounts on Chrome). It was originally only happening with Native Instruments plugin authorizations but after over a week away from the studio due to the pandemic, when I got in and booted up today I had to reauthorize EVERY online account. Anyone know how to fix this? Assuming it's an issue with the serial #?

After your message, I went ahead and took a closer look.
After comparing to some photos I took before soldering, I realized that there is one capacitor/resistor missing right above pin 7-8 of the chip.
It's always the little things! :)
Do you mind taking a photo of your chip and the surrounding area so we can do a comparison?
Maybe also measure what kind of resistor/capacitor is that in case it's replaceable.
I was about to post my photos...but no need now!
After that, I checked pin 7 and the right pin of the missing component and they're connected. Then I measured the left pin's voltage while powered and it's 3,3v.

Since pin 7 was essentially disconnected, the chip wouldn't work without it. So I went ahead and connected those two pins together with some flux, then voila, thunderbolt is working.
Congratulations!
I was blown away by how everything worked just like that. My TB1 hard drive is suddenly recognized. Sleep/wake worked like a charm. WOW!
And that makes it all worth it...
Tried a warm boot to Windows and it recognized the already connected hard drive there as well.
Under windows, thunderbolt software still doesn't show the ports and hot plug did not work.
Eh, who cares. :)

What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt 1 Hard Drive? Did it work before flashing the firmware? If it is working only now, then I'll add it to the new list of Thunderbolt devices.

@bugsyraz This could be exactly my problem, too! The small component at pin 7 is missing here as well! I think it was ripped off the board while trying to get the SOIC-8 clip in the right position.
I will bridge the two pins now (as long as we don’t know which value the capacitor or resistor is) and tell you how this works out.
If it helps, here are some photos. Since I went through the trouble of taking them, I might as well post them! :) They are taken with slightly different lighting and zoom conditions.

IMG_1217_resize.jpg IMG_1218_resize.jpg IMG_1219_resize.jpg IMG_1220_resize.jpg

@CaseySJ

So I happened to be playing some Master Chief Collection on my windows drive and I had a Thunderbolt Control Center notification pop up mid game (probably 1+ hour into gaming, so not right at system boot) then quickly disappear. I did not have any thunderbolt devices plugged in and thought that was strange. Opened up the control center and checked the "About" page, and all the thunderbolt controllers appeared! My built in Alpine Ridge AND the flashed GC-TR NVM23.

They listed the controllers as:

Alpine Ridge NVM: 18.07
Alpine Ridge Security: SL0 (No Security)

Titan Ridge NVM: 23
Titan Ridge Security: SL1 (User Auth)

The only way I know of changing the security level of the TB3 controller is in bios, which currently is set to NO SEC. Is there a way to force the Titan Ridge into SL0 No Security mode?
User Authorization may be okay. Do you have any trouble connecting Thunderbolt devices to the GC-Titan Ridge in either Windows or Mac?

Having an issue where periodically my computer is not recognized by my online accounts and I have to reauthorize them (Audio plugins, Dropbox, Google accounts on Chrome). It was originally only happening with Native Instruments plugin authorizations but after over a week away from the studio due to the pandemic, when I got in and booted up today I had to reauthorize EVERY online account. Anyone know how to fix this? Assuming it's an issue with the serial #?
Your Mac's serial number might be taken by a real Mac. If that's true, it will be necessary to generate a new one in Clover Configurator.

To check if your serial number is available, run Hackintool and do this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.37.58 PM.png
Hackintool will then take you to Apple's serial number site where your computer's serial number will be automatically entered. Just enter the Captcha and see if you get this message:
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.38.48 PM.png

User Authorization may be okay. Do you have any trouble connecting Thunderbolt devices to the GC-Titan Ridge in either Windows or Mac?
For example, my friends UAD interface I tested a few days ago wouldn't take the first time I plug into the AIC and boot up, it needs to be warm boot for it to fully connect. It connects first try without any driver errors using the built in under no security. If the built in is set to user auth, it behaves the same as the titan ridge needing to be warm booted or boot into windows first.

I was helping get his system setup on an X299 board with a flashed Titan Ridge card and was finally able to get the on-board alpine ridge (not custom firmware) to play nice with the Titan Ridge card with some trial and error with SSDTs. In the end we settled with using the on-board TB3 for his interface and the Titan Ridge for his external USB-C drives.

I got it working.
  • Updated to latest OCQuirks.efi/OpenRuntime.efi
  • Removed VirtualSmc.efi/FwRuntimeServices.efi
  • Updated VirtualSMC.kext/SMC*.kext
Looks like the plist format for OcQuirks has changed since the v15 version that was in the guide. Some entries have been renamed and it looks like there are some new ones. Is there an updated plist for designaire using the new nomenclature? Will the default plist work? In earlier versions the default settings did not work for me.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AvoidRuntimeDefrag</key>
<true/>
<key>SetupVirtualMap</key>
<true/>
<key>ProvideCustomSlide</key>
<true/>
<key>DevirtualiseMmio</key>
<true/>
<key>DisableSingleUser</key>
<false/>
<key>DiscardHibernateMap</key>
<false/>
<key>EnableSafeModeSlide</key>
<true/>
<key>ProtectCsmRegion</key>
<false/>
<key>ProtectSecureBoot</key>
<false/>
<key>ShrinkMemoryMap</key>
<false/>
<key>ForceExitBootServices</key>
<true/>
<key>DisableVariableWrite</key>
<false/>
<key>EnableWriteUnprotector</key>
<true/>
<key>ProvideConsoleGopEnable</key>
<true/>
<key>SignalAppleOS</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<true/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<false/>
<true/>
<key>MmioWhitelist</key>
<array/>
<key>ProtectMemoryRegions</key>
<false/>
<false/>
<key>ProtectUefiServices</key>
<false/>
<true/>
<true/>
<key>RebuildAppleMemoryMap</key>
<true/>
<true/>
<key>SignalAppleOS</key>
<false/>
<key>SyncRuntimePermissions</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Looks like the plist format for OcQuirks has changed since the v15 version that was in the guide. Some entries have been renamed and it looks like there are some new ones. Is there an updated plist for designaire using the new nomenclature? Will the default plist work? In earlier versions the default settings did not work for me.
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<key>ProtectCsmRegion</key>
<false/>
<false/>
<key>ShrinkMemoryMap</key>
<false/>
<true/>
<false/>
<true/>
<true/>
<key>SignalAppleOS</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<true/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<false/>
<true/>
<key>MmioWhitelist</key>
<array/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<key>SignalAppleOS</key>
<false/>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I made a guess based on the values in the original post for OcQuirks-4.efi and comments in the GitHub readme:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<true/>
<true/>
<false/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<true/>
<false/>
<key>MmioWhitelist</key>
<array/>
<false/>
<false/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<true/>
<key>SignalAppleOS</key>
<false/>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer Success!

Wanted to thank you @CaseySJ for the excellent guide to get my brand new Catalina 10.15.4 build installed.

Working:
  • Bluetooth
  • Wireless
  • USB Ports: HS09, HSO3/SS03, HS04/SS044, HS07/SS07
  • Ethernet Intel i219
  • HS11/HS12 w/ NZXT USB Hub Expander
  • AppleALC 1.3.4 (Only Checked the Audio out)
  • Facetime
  • Apple Cloud/App Store/Music/TV
  • Sidecar w/ IPad
  • I believe I fixed the sleep issue as well. (I re-enabled Power Nap.)

Not tested:
  • SPDIF
  • Want to enable Thunderbolt for a UAD Audio Device

Random Notes:
  1. I also need to create a back up, I am assuming I need to purchase Carbon Copy Cloner and a new SSD for the back up(Next Project).
  2. I wish I would have read your note sooner about loading Windows on SSD N.2 (Disk 1) first, then installing MacOS on SSD M.2 (Disk 2)
  3. Need to fine tune (Going all Extra Mile) my system for audio and video application use. Anything I should watch out for since I used the newer install method?
Thanks again everyone!

Back