Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I meant if there was a system that didn't involve buying gear just for flashing the Thunderbolt firmware.
I wasn't into a semantic complaint.
Thanks
If you reread your previous post you will find that it was in fact a matter of interpreting "and" versus "or". But also note that your actual question has been addressed frequently. Please look at the second spoiler at the top of Post #1 for options. Those are, so far, the only options.

Hi @CaseySJ. Hope you're doing well and that your internet issues resolve soon!

I'll try out that workaround for the UltraFine 5K. I couldn't find much information on MemoryAllocation.efi, should that be used if I'm using FwRuntimeServices/OcQuirks?

I got hold of a GC Titan Ridge card, flashed it with the modified firmware, installed it in the second (middle) long slot of the board, and added the SSDT (with the patched DROM). I shorted pins 3 and 5 like you said, and connected the USB 2.0 header to the motherboard (via a splitter). I now have both displays using the Vega 64 through the GC Titan Ridge! Amazing :)

I noticed that both thunderbolt controllers show up with the same bus ID in the Thunderbolt Device Tree, and the Titan Ridge isn't using the UUID that I specified in the SSDT's ThunderboltDROM section. I'm using both of the SSDTs from the microguides, modified to have 1) the same UID, 2) different bus IDs (0 for Designare, 2 for GC Titan Ridge), 3) updated checksum for the UID and bus IDs. I think I might need to use different UIDs for the controllers and/or change the GC Titan Ridge SSDT to not use RP05?

Edit: I forgot to attach screenshots
Hello @LeSeChe,

The SSDT in each "Thunderbolt DROM Micro Guide" must be adapted to each person's motherboard.
  • If the GC-Titan Ridge is in the middle long slot, it's in PCI0.PEG1. And we replace PXSX with PEGP.
  • If it's in the bottom long slot, it's in PCI0.RP21. For this we don't replace PXSX.
If you need help, please post a screenshot of the first page of the SSDT. You will need two SSDTs. One for on-board Titan Ridge on RP05 and the other for GC-Titan Ridge on either PEG1 or RP21.

Thanks @CaseySJ for such a comprehensive build share.

Thanks @CaseySJ for the guide. I'm hoping you could help me as I'm stuck at the Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina. Images of my verbose attached. Any thoughts?
Hello @Labsy,

Please do not quote the mini-guide as stated clearly at the top. You may click the "Edit" button under your post and delete BOTH copies of the mini-guide.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 3.20.34 AM.png

hello again @CaseySJ ,throughout the day after installing everything again and testing my new configuration,(i purchased rx580 and usb 3.0 pci express)
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00HJ1DULE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
why in my before installation if you remember the system eject ramdomly external hhd connected or usb memory
or whatever when transfer files or doing nothing i never resolved this problem.
I tried a few situations,plugged in diferent usb and i dont understand why eject hdd.
Now with the new card usb pciexpress i believed than having fewer things connected to the computer i was going to have fewer problems and this night suddenly one of the hdd pluged in z390 ejected lonely,i dont understand why.All these hdd external and docks works perfectly in my macbook 2015...any idea?:banghead::banghead: thx again¡

I tell you what is connected when happened.

HS09:
-Keyboard(old white apple)
-Mouse mionix

HS03/SS03:
-Hdd external seagate 2tb powered usb

HS04/SS04:
-Hdd Wd red 4tb in dock with power suply

HS07/SS07:
-2 extension cable male to female (occasionally i connect iphone or ipad....)

PCI USB3.0:
-Hdd dock with power suply(this dock never worked well connected in z390 and now work good in pci)

SATA_0:
-Hdd Wd red 3tb

SATA_1:
-Hdd Wd 2tb

M2M:
-Samsung 970 evo 250gb
View attachment 459216
Hello @yapiyapo,

Are you running Mojave or Catalina? If you're on Catalina, at this point I would encourage you to perform a fresh, temporary install on a spare SSD by following the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide. You may keep your existing serial numbers by copying SMBIOS and RtVariables from old config.plist to new config.plist. But do not use the old config.plist. This might take 1 hour or 90 minutes, but it will create a clean baseline environment. Now check if disks still eject randomly. But don't install any "heavy" third-party apps. We first want to check if disks behave correctly on a totally baseline system.

All,

Because I'm using cellular data (limited to 1 GB/month) for the next few days to access this site, if you post a camera photo, please use a photo editor to reduce image size to about 1024 pixels in X or Y. This should be done all the time actually! No need to post 5MB, 12 megapixel photos!

Hello @yapiyapo,

Are you running Mojave or Catalina? If you're on Catalina, at this point I would encourage you to perform a fresh, temporary install on a spare SSD by following the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide. You may keep your existing serial numbers by copying SMBIOS and RtVariables from old config.plist to new config.plist. But do not use the old config.plist. This might take 1 hour or 90 minutes, but it will create a clean baseline environment. Now check if disks still eject randomly. But don't install any "heavy" third-party apps. We first want to check if disks behave correctly on a totally baseline system.

I'm using Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032)

I'm using Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032)
It might be a good idea to either create a fresh Mojave install or even a fresh Catalina install just for testing purposes.

Do you use apps that are currently incompatible with Catalina?

yesterday I installed everything new.
In my old instalation i had same problem...And apps i think all of Mojave.

Last edited:
Compared to your picture:
THB-C.png
Asus_Sage_10g.png
The second picture is from manual of X299 Sage/10g. The 3 is the "N_-SLP_S3" / "Platform Sequence Control" und the 5 is "GND" ?

Congratulations!

I have internet access to all websites except those where traffic is routed through a particular gateway. This happened once in 2018 and took a few days to fix.

Meanwhile I can access the site through cellular, but need to conserve since I’m allowed 1GB per month. Would you complain if you were paying only $12 per month for voice and data? :)
I had the same problem several months ago. it lasted for a couple of weeks, and the problem went away on its own.

Back