Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I finished the installation of Catalina. The only problem is that on BIOS disappeared all my bootable disks. I can enter on the Clover Boot Menu just loading the USB installation pen drive. After that, if I press boot from Catalina, it starts. What can I do?

Thanks for your response. I believe it is in fact the GPU causing problems, i was on 10.15.3, but switching back to Mojave as i don’t really know that it wasn’t the sketchy Russian copy of Catalina i had, lol. Also getting an Rx Vega 56 as those seem to be well suited to this build. Otherwise, thank you very much for your hard work.
Just to confirm: are you on 10.15.3 or 10.15.4?

If you're on 10.15.3:
  • Please have a look at the troubleshooting section at the bottom of the Catalina Mini-Guide (this one).
  • Also note that MSI RX 5700 XT's have caused various issues. As a last resort, try removing that card and switching iGPU to platform ID 0x3E9B0007.

[QUOTE="CaseySJ]
Are you aware of any other device that is working only after enabling Thunderbolt Bus? Please let us know.
[/QUOTE]

Can I assume this milestone you've accomplished applies only to the on-board Thunderbolt on your Z390? Or do you think it applies to other implementation of Thunderbolt on hackintoshes (particularly those with add-in cards)?

i finished the installation of catalina ... the only problem is that on bios disappeared all my bootable disks... and i can enter on the clover menu just loading the usb installation pendrive.. after that if i press boot from catalina ... it starts ..what can i do?
You should be able to fix this by shutting down the computer and then flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds.

Can I assume this milestone you've accomplished applies only to the on-board Thunderbolt on your Z390? Or do you think it applies to other implementation of Thunderbolt on hackintoshes (particularly those with add-in cards)?
It should certainly apply to other devices as well, as long as Thunderbolt Bus is activated "properly".

It should certainly apply to other devices as well, as long as Thunderbolt Bus is activated "properly".
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm....."properly". Sounds like more detail is needed. Any thoughts about a guide for add-in cards? And, btw, congrats on a job well done!

Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried pretty much everything up to now. over the weekend I swapped out the power supply for a new one, some issues.

things I’ve tried but still get freezing:

• unplugging all USB devices except for mouse (and used a different mouse/keyboard)
  • changed power supply for a new one
  • unplugged nvme drive and ran OS from a SATA ssd via USB 3 and internally
  • swapped nvme drive for a new one
  • unplugged all SATA drives and cables
  • disconnected all USB board headers
  • disconnected Thunderbolt audio devices and turned off Thunderbolt in bios and used a different audio interface.
  • Used 1 screen only without and with WEG/LILU
  • tried different graphics ports on card
  • disconnected wifi/bt PCIE card
  • disconnected USB 3 PCIE card
  • Swapped out 5700xt with a new different brand of 5700xt
  • swapped out for a older known working rx 580
  • tried a different power outlet from my wall
  • reseated and checked my cpu and board pins for damage
  • swapped ram for new ram
  • xmp for ram off and on
  • tried BIOS with all auto OC off and on
  • tried setting ram voltages and speeds/timings manually
  • turned off turbo/speed step cpu stuff
  • tried bios versions f7, f8 and f9b
  • reset cmos and Bios settings
  • checked motherboard and sockets for visible signs of damage
  • check all power connections to board (I have ALL optional connectors and power attached from an 850w psu)
  • turned off screen sharing settings
  • deleted and disabled photos app/library
  • checked for rogue kexts
  • checked EFI folders and files and plist 1000x times
  • tried different smbios
  • forgot all the other things I’ve tried....
Things I haven’t tried:

- reverting to Mojave (stubborn)
- swapping out the motherboard
- swapping the cpu
- disconnecting fans or swapping them
- swapping case (is that even a thing?)

Today or tomorrow I’m swapping out the motherboard, so I’m begging the computer gods to have mercy on me. It’s been 3-4 months of computer hell. Moreover, it like the graphics card just stops communicating with the system, the screens freeze the audio continues, mouse moves, then the whole system just halts and I need to hard reboot. Really only happens when working on things in audio or video apps. During the last few days of intensive testing, I found I don’t need to wait to be the freezing to happen, I can just load up a project in an app and crash it within 1-10mins.

yay!
If you run an alternate O/S (Linux, Windows) does the machine lockup? Try running Linux + some applications off of the Ubuntu or Fedora Live disk and see if the machine locks up. I would do this for a couple days before tearing the machine apart.

I finished the installation of Catalina. The only problem is that on BIOS disappeared all my bootable disks. I can enter on the Clover Boot Menu just loading the USB installation pen drive. After that, if I press boot from Catalina, it starts. What can I do?
Typically due to CSM being enabled in the uEFI

Hmmm....."properly". Sounds like more detail is needed. Any thoughts about a guide for add-in cards?
I knew that was coming!

This just means the following:
  • Thunderbolt Bus is activated.
  • Thunderbolt device appears both on the bus and under DSB1 or DSB4 (IORegistryExplorer) with the full device tree.
On add-in-cards such as GC-Alpine Ridge and GC-Titan Ridge, it might be necessary to hot-plug the device and in some cases one warm reboot might be needed.

As long as the Thunderbolt device is fully rendered in IORegistryExplorer, then it will work.

On my Designare Z390 at this very moment I have:
  • On-board controller flashed.
  • GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card in PEG1 (middle long slot) with special modified version of NVM 43 (beta testing it for someone).
On the GC-Titan Ridge, Thunderbolt devices tend to work well in Port 2 (each port is marked). An warm reboot is needed to fully materialize the device tree. After wake-from-sleep the Thunderbolt device continues to work, but it gets removed from Thunderbolt Bus. A warm boot restores it. (These issues don't exist with on-board flashed controller.)

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.19.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.23.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-01 at 11.25.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Okay, let me know if you need a volunteer. My Titan Ridge works in Windows mode, but, as I do live close by.....after some time, it might be interesting to know if your process works for an X299 board with only a Titan Ridge card...

Just a thought....

Back