Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please see the spoiler in Post #1 State of the System AFTER Post-Installation:

View attachment 458136

Regarding flashing guides, please refer again to Post #1, the spoiler Mini-Guides for Flashing SPI ROM Chips. All of those guides should be read, but these two in particular may be most suited to the Designare Z390:

View attachment 458143

If you have any questions during the procedure, just ask. But please understand the risks and disclaimers!
Thanks. I’ll keep you posted.
You scared me a bit with your disclaimer. How many users succeeded the flash or failed / bricked?

No errors / logs suggests a hardware problem. If you are using an XMP profile for the ram try disabling that and see if your stability is better. I had a similar issue and tweaking the ram settings cleared it up.
Yes, I’m also thinking the same thing. It’s been months of troubleshooting now. With both the old RAM and the new RAM, I’ve tried XMP on and off without any changes.

My problem is that I’m running out of hardware to check or replace. Haha. Ripping out the MoBo or the PSU is going to be what I try last I guess. Do you, or does anyone else’s think it might be a faulty motherboard? I’m not familiar with a bad motherboard‘s symptoms.

The power supply seems fine - No Noises, booting or shutdowns or error lights anywhere...

The only real thing I can say is that the lockups happen when working with audio or video apps, and usually happen after 5-6 hours of working. Heat doesn’t appear to be the issue though Unfortunately.

You scared me a bit with your disclaimer. How many users succeeded the flash or failed / bricked?
So far one person may have damaged their Winbond chip, but that person has plenty of soldering/desoldering skills and is in the process of replacing the chip. That happened before @jb007 developed the procedure referenced in the last of the SPI flashing guides. I've flashed my board two or three times without issue, as have a number of others.

I would be irresponsible if I didn't point out the risks.

Hello, Casey!. I was one of your first to follow your guide. The hackintosh still works as a beast :)

But I am getting mad to install Windows on a new separate SSD. When I try to run a bootable Windows pen drive, it gives me an error during the installation blue screen ..looks like it is missing some drivers when i try to create a win boot using commands method...and if i try unetbootin i got stuck on blue screen installation with error 0x8007000D... can I know what you did to have 2 different OS on 2 different hard drives. I have your same hardware ..Thank you so much

Last edited:

I have flashed my Alpine Ridge with modified Titian firmware at the start just because. Then back to the original, then to another modified, and I think at least one other time. A few times it failed to write. I just adjusted the clip and tried again till the flash stuck. I flashed my Titian Ridge to the 23 and 42 versions of the modified Titan firmware and finally settled on the Designare mod'ed firmware. I think it is 33. “I did this against Casey’s advisement”. So I have done at least 6 flashes on two cards. Both cards still work. I think, as long as you have a programmer, your fairly safe even if it fails the first three or four times take a deep breath and keep plugging along.

Please try these changes:
  • BIOS --> Internal Graphics --> enabled.
    • If this is set to "auto" it will turn off IGPU when discrete GPU is detected and driving a display monitor.
  • In Devices -> Properties, click the bottom (3rd) entry in the Devices list box. Then look at the Properties list box to its right. You should see ig-platform-id
  • In Boot --> Arguments, change shikigva to 16 or 80. If you watch Netflix, change it to 80.
  • Then run VideoProc and check if HEVC and H.264 hardware acceleration is enabled.
Hi @CaseySJ and @EliM.

I have the iGPU running in headless mode using ig-platform-id=0x3E980003 in Clover 5107.

I'm using shikigva=16 and could not run Netflix on Safari, but the Brave browser based on the Chrome engine will play if I load the Widevine extension.

Setting shikigva=80 allows Netflix in Safari (my prefered browser) but then Sidecar which I tend to watch Netflix in, connects but black screens. One step forward, one backwards.

Any idea how to fix this would be very welcome.

@tanaca, @S1lla is absolutely correct. Also, sooner than later the flashing aspect will likely be in software.

Also @svandive

Please scroll back to page 1315 and read all the way up to the newest page to get a full understanding of how we all got here. You are referring to the Osy86 method that has sparked a whole lot of this.

At the bottom you'll see a link for Patching ACPI. Read away! Then re-read. It's fun after all.

However! If you'd like to keep trying that then you should add these two patches in Clover.

Comment: change RP17._INI to RP17.XINI for ICM disable
Find: 52503137 084C5452 5A00084F 42465A00 084C4D53 4C00084C 4E534C00 142A5F49 4E49
Replace: 52503137 084C5452 5A00084F 42465A00 084C4D53 4C00084C 4E534C00 142A5849 4E49

Comment: change _E17 to XE17
Find: 5f453137
Replace: 58453137

If your device is on a different RPxx then change it in the first block of the first patch. I believe this is for alpine ridge though and the GPE (E17) is for the GB Z390a.
Oh,Thanks Best man

followed every step in Clover Configurator but hit an issue.. I only have a drivers folder not a drivers64
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.37.48 PM.png

@avalonvt SSDT's are a type of patch that are applied to get on board devices up and running. They are located in your EFI partition on your boot drive like this "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched" see pic. As far as i know this is what the folder should look like to get UAD devices to work, but I am not sure as I haven't been able to get my Apollo 16 to work properly (connects, no audio). Also, after seeing your thread you posted, check the bios settings for thunderbolt on the first page of this thread, they should apply to your board as well.

@jiffyslot may have the answer to all this i suspect.

Hey there. I'm using this here patch for the GB Designare Z390:

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390_RP05-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 87
Back