Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@iRamon & @CaseySJ
Thanks a lot, that fixed it.

I volunteer for today's "dumb-ass-award" :banghead:

ripe_md

There are only 2 on each controller. The ones in the bottom of your screenshot are from a Thunderbolt dock or other Thunderbolt device that is connected to the system.

On Designare Z390 both of the on-board HPM devices have unique IDs:
View attachment 458158View attachment 458159

I didn't realize Thunderbolt Switches were on different ports. The more you know!

Well I don't know if it's of any real consequence but but my AppleHPMDevice@1 has no UUID. I'll keep doing some research but If you have any ideas let me know. Unless this is to do with separate ridges..? shot in the dark.

Thanks for the help on this @CaseySJ! Videoproc says H264 hardware decoder is enabled but HEVC is not enabled. It says the status us Unavailable. Time to process a 10 second video on my hackintosh: 13 seconds. On my 2018 MacBook Air with 1.6ghz dual core i5: 3-4 seconds.

What do you suggest?
Somehow I missed your reply... Distractions, you know.
  • Is your IGPU enabled in BIOS?
  • Are you using Platform ID 0x3E980003? (Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties)
  • Are you using iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1?
  • What shikivga do you have in Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments?

Hi guys! I'm facing a new issue with my build. Turns out that I have unstable write speed on my NVMe SSD..

I re-enabled TRIM but I have the same issues.. I'll attach some screenshots so you can see the difference.

Did you faced this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 19.53.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 19.53.52.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.08.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.08.16.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.08.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.08.25.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.12.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.12.41.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 69
Hi guys! I'm facing a new issue with my build. Turns out that I have unstable write speed on my NVMe SSD..

I re-enabled TRIM but I have the same issues.. I'll attach some screenshots so you can see the difference.

Did you faced this issue?
  • What is the total capacity of the NVMe SSD?
  • How much free space is left?
  • TRIM patch is not necessary for NVMe SSDs because it's already enabled by default.

• What is the total capacity of the NVMe SSD?
  • How much free space is left?
  • TRIM patch is not necessary for NVMe SSDs because it's already enabled by default.
It is a 500GB SSD and I have 310GB free

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.17.09.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 20.17.09.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 49
It is a 500GB SSD and I have 310GB free
Is this a SATA M.2 SSD or PCIe M.2 SSD? If you're unsure, just tell us the make/model.

Nevermind, it's a PCIe M.2 SSD judging by the high R/W speeds.

If anyone has encountered a Disk is too slow message, please let us know.

Is this a SATA M.2 SSD or PCIe M.2 SSD? If you're unsure, just tell us the make/model.

It is a PCIe M.2 SSD. The model is HP EX900.

I tried now again with XPM disabled and manual RAM Timings and it's the same. First two Disk Speed Test run ok and at the third one the speed drops way too much.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’m back with what I think is good news for me and possibly other 5700 XT users who have issues. I had a lot of trouble with my 5700 XT, which is a Gigabyte branded model. My system was freezing randomly and regularly, no matter what I did. Screen freezes, mouse moves, audio continues, etc. - need to hard reboot.

Last week I decided to try out tweaking my graphics card with power play table device property injections in clover thanks to this thread and tool:

I undervolted my card to 1000mv from 1200mv, set the maximum GPU clock speeds to what my card is advertised as (1905mhz), and also set the minimum clock speeds to 1000mhz, as some people say that they have HDMI issues when the clock speed goes too low (PC/MAC users) Who knows though? I guess I’d just be wasting power even if it has no effect.

I’m told that the undervolt value is the only setting really having any influence here, and that limiting the clock speed maximum or tweaking the minimums has no effect, as it’s not possible to do so with power play tables.

I can’t say I understand the technical back end intricacies of what’s going on, but I understand what’s going on conceptually. As a side note, however, Luxmark reports the card as having a 2100mhz clock speed when no tweaks are set, but any speed I limit to with the tweaks in Clover show up in Luxmark as the same, meaning that Luxmark now shows 1905mhz as my card‘s clock speed. I’m told that this is just cosmetic, and that Luxmark doesn’t report things correctly anyway. Since I know little about graphics card tweaks and overclocking, I can only offer up my observations here.

Undervolting these cards seems to be a thing for PC users as well in order to boost performance and lower thermals. I’m wondering if some brands of 5700 xt cards running on hacks are just too close to their max performance or thermal edges and crashing? My card would randomly spin up its fans to full blast even when not doing anything graphics intensive - I’m not sure what that really meant, but in retrospect I assume it was the card heating up quickly for no reason, but it may have just been poorly managed fan speeds under OSX. Like I said, I’m not an expert here. My fan freak outs did not seem to happen when my system would freeze. Either way, the fans were erratic.

Anyway, since my undervolt, my fans never freak out anymore, my graphics benchmark the same in some synthetic tests, and in other benchmark tests, a teeny bit higher or lower, while video rendering is consistently 8-10% faster across the board in multiple apps.

Undervolting lowers the thermals and stabilizes the cards as a result, to the point where you actually gain performance as you’re avoiding some nasty throttling due to bad thermals. My fans are also more consistent and quieter when under load.

All that aside though, I HAVE NOT HAD A FREEZE OR CRASH since I undervolted my card, which is really all I care about. It’s been about a week now. I don’t want to cry wolf again, but it looks very promising for my situation.

This leads me to speculate that some brands of 5700 xt cards are not properly managed under OSX as well as others are, and perhaps they are being pushed to operate too close to their performance and thermal edges inducing the freezing or crashes. Perhaps newer Apple AMD drivers will address this, but who knows?

So the saga continues.

It turns out that I’m still getting system lockups and freezing, but less of them. Lowering my voltages on my 5700xt was only a bandaid solution so far, so there must be an overall issue with my build. It’s been very hard to figure out. At this point, I’ve convinced myself that it’s hardware related.

I tried a brand new MSI EVOKE 5700 XT, same issue with screen freezing and artefacts/lockups - actually seemed worse. Also tried an RX 580, same thing, system freezing/lockups.

I replaced my NVMe drive from a Western Digital Black to a compatible Samsung EVO - same thing - lockups and screen/system freezing.

I still need to test other hardware I suppose but am losing the plot as to what to try next.

Options to change or remove:

- Wifi/Bluetooth card in my bottom 1x PCI-E slot.
- USB 3.0 card in my bottom X4 PCI-E slot.
- Motherboard
- Power Supply (it’s brand new - Corsair Rm850x)
- Try the x8 slot for my graphics card instead of the top one?
- The Internal SATA SSD drives (seem fine - no errors or corrupt files)

I noticed something strange in my journey with this stuff lately. In BIOS (F9b) I notice that my card is reported as PCI-E 3.0 x8 instead of x16 no matter what I do. Not sure if that’s normal or if it’s because I’ve got other stuff plugged in.

Also, when I change the X4 PCI-E switch to CPU SIDE in BIOS, my graphics benchmarks 10k higher in geekbench, but when I set it to PCH side, my graphics benchmarks 10k lower. Weird right? Shouldn’t those results be the opposite? I read that PCI-E 3.0 x16 vs x8 for the 5700 xt would not really make a difference anyway, but it is very strange.

The problem is that I never get any crash reports or logs - just hold down the power and reboot. Very frustrating.

Anyway, I’m rambling again. Anyone got any advice here for me?

Thanks in advance...

Back